Hellblazer

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
John Constantine is one of my favourite characters from the comics world - somehow retaining some semblance of humanity while he skirts the low life of our species.

For those who don't know of him - he's basically a straight talking scouse tosser, who gets drunk alot, smokes too much, sleeps with prostitutes, takes drugs - plays with magic, cheats the devil out of souls, and even chainsawed the wings off the back of the Archangel Gabriel. And he says "Bollocks" alot.

He is one of the best expressions of anti-character in comic (perhaps matched only by the exposition of Judge Dredd as a brutal fascist - another great thread there).

Jamie Delano took the reigns for the Hellblazer series when DC Vertogo used it as a flagship along with Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and carried it on to around issue 40. during that time he gave us Voodoo, Newcastle, hippies, and a complete rebirth. He effectively finished the series as a series when he left - but Garth Ennis actually managed to bring the series back to life again.

I always preferred Delano's writing and characterisation - he focussed strictly on character, whereas Ennis was given over a little too much to sensationalism, IMO (such as taking a chainsaw on the Archangel Gabriel's wings).

That finally stopped my reading of that series - it had moved too move from the grotesuely psychological to the grotesquely physical.

But John Constantine still endears as a character. Would love to write for him one day, actually. Neil Gaiman did, actually - think that was an issue on lay-lines being tapped by the government - around issue 25.

Oh - but one of my comic acheivements - picked up issues 1 and 2 of Hellblazer, though they're in my loft with the rest, now. Collected stright from about issue 15/20 to around 70.

I've read up a bit about Constantine, and it turns out he was originally Alan Moore's creation. Well, no wonder!

The reason I was searching for info on Hellblazer was that I finally read one of the stories - Hellblazer: Good Intentions, a graphic novel which brings together isuues 151 to 156 of the Hellblazer comic. Written by Brian Azzarello with art by Marcelo Frusin, this is a dark, nasty and brooding story. I haven't read any other Hellblazer comics, so I can't comment on how this fits inwith the overall story and quality of storytelling, but I found it very compelling in a brutal, unsettling but unputdownable way.

new_graphic_novel779.jpg

After being released from prison, Constantine goes to the hick town of Doglick to pay off an old debt. Instead, he finds himself caught up in a maze of cruelty, violence and perversion, leading to a dark secret behind this town's survival. There's a secondary plotline about a wild bear preying on people from Doglick, which is less than necessary even if it does lend to some nicely tense scenes and some searing visuals.

The eventual revelation is nothing otherworldly or occult, but a terribly banal yet reprehensible one. The mood throughout is extremely grim and dismal, further darkened by Frusin's crisp, noir-ish art.

It was a very grim story, as I've said, unrelievedly so (although shot through with Constantine's mordant humour) but fascinating. I'm definitely going to look out for more Hellblazer comics.

Here's a good fansite I found: http://www.qusoor.com/hellblazer/introduction.htm

A great Hellblazer resource with detailed reviews of every issue: http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/

Last edited:
Yep - I railed about the movie "Constantine" here:http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2103

I've not read the later Hellblzer comis - I stoppped in the 70's, I think, during the Garth Ennis run. I really enjoyed Jamie Delano's use of the character previously, though - something seemed more grounded in the dirt of humanity, rather than occult darkess as Garth Ennis seemed to focus on more.

Overall, though, John Constantine is the epitome of anti-character - before all altruistic tendencies come his prime concern - himself. That's what makes him great - he is the ultimate flawed hero.

BTW, I managed to read a collection of the second story art in writer Brian Azzarello's pre-Hellblazer comic, 100 Bullets. Great stuff! It's basically about this quasi-governement secret agent who turns up at strangers' doorsteps with proof that a certain person is responsible for the death of a loved one, etc, and a hundred untracable bullets with which to kill that person. A concept that could play out in a number of ways, in the long run, and is certainly exploited to its fullest potential in the installments I read.

I read another Hellbalzer trade over the weekend, this one from the Ennis era, called 'Son of Man':

Pretty disturbing stuff, a very powerful and horrific storyline shot through with some mighty black humour. I'm planning to pick up a trade containing Delano's run on the character, so I'll be able to see if I agree with Brian's views on the overall shift of the series into more sensational, less psychologically compelling fare.

I can tell you that already. This is the one I'm going to pick up (if someone else doesn't beat me to it - which I refuse to accept as a possibility):

original_sins.jpg

It contains reprints from the Hellblazer comic, issues 1 to 9.

The full story isn't told yet, but as some stories are related to there's enough flashback to understand it. BTW some stories in are important for Constantine myths here.

Well, I picked it up. First response: wow!!

Yes, the first storyline is the one with the hunger demon, an short episode where ghosts of US soldiers who died in the Vietnam war return home to ghastly effect, then Constantine meets Zed, rescues his niece from a strange necro-pederast, Zed gets involved with this hyper-religious cult, Constantine thwarts their goals in a rather enjoyable mannerand finally his pack of cigs turns into the Swamp Thing.

More details later.

That's Doc Midnight, btw. :D