Clone Wars: New TV show.

triffid

Wasteland wanderer.
Yup folks it's official! A source of mine at Cartoon network has confirmed that Lucas films are indeed making a Clone wars CGI TV show, infact a basic pilot episode has already been filmed. It's 50 episodes will bridge the gap Episode II and III, with the final episode screened just before the release of Episode III.

Very excited about this.

Hope we get it in the UK with the same end date, so we get to see all of it before the movie airs.

When are we expecting EP 3? Is it 2004 or 2005? I suppose if there are going to be fifty episodes, then it will likely run for one year. If the new movie hits in May, as Ep 1 and 2 have, then by deduction the tv show should start in May 2003 or 2004...

from my understanding episode 3 should air in the summer of 2005 or at least that's what I had heard last anyway. Should be interesting to see this cartoon series though.

The planned release date for Ep 3 is May 2005... probably worldwide again, like Ep 2. Those damn pirates... at least we all get to see SW at basically the same time where ever we might be around the globe.

ok im scared, i think that this is going to be a flop, well see but i cant see a SW tv show doing well:(

They already had Star Wars cartoons in the '80's with 'Droids' and 'Ewoks'. I do remember them, and they weren't very successful, but apparently this will use state of the art cgi, and could be very like the real movies.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,391415~10~0~starwarscartoonseries,00.html

A Lucasfilm spokesperson declined to comment on the reports, which appeared on Ain't It Cool News and The Force.Net -- two fan sites that have often proved a reliable source of advance ''Star Wars'' information. Citing anonymous sources, the sites suggest that Lucasfilm is planning a cartoon series that would chronicle the ''Clone Wars'' period between ''Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones'' and the as-yet-unnamed third ''Star Wars'' prequel, due in theaters in 2005. The end of ''Clones'' -- with its flashy sequences of gleaming Clone Troopers fighting a droid army-- showed the first battle of the Clone Wars, a pivotal, but mysterious conflict in "Star Wars'' mythology.

There have already been two traditionally animated ''Star Wars'' cartoon series -- ''Droids'' and ''Ewoks'' both ran in the '80s. But with new computer animation technology at the heart of Lucas' latest movies, an animated series could, in theory, be indistinguishable from scenes in the live-action releases. In other words: Jar Jar, get ready for your close-up.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, via Sci Fi Wire, The Cartoon Network has announced that it will be airing this series of original animated shorts set in the Star Wars universe in November 2003.

But it says that the series, entitled Clone Wars, will include only 20 shorts, each only about three minutes in length. As already revealed, it will be set in the time period between Star Wars: Episode II and Star Wars: Episode III.

Press Release in full...

from AICN

Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Announce Star Wars Animated Shorts

20 Animated "Clone Wars" Serial Shorts to Appear on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004

Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today a partnership to create Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming. Star Wars: Clone Wars continues the saga where the live action feature film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones left off - at the beginning of the Clone Wars, an epic civil war that pits the old Republic against a vast separatist movement led by the forces of evil.

Each episodic short will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times during the network's regular programming beginning later this fall. Clone Wars will be produced at Cartoon Network Studios by a team led by Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.

As Clone Wars unfolds the valiant Jedi Knights lead the Republic's Clone Army against many new and ruthless adversaries across the galaxy. These new characters, epic battles and intricate stories will add an exciting new dimension to the Star Wars saga.

"We are incredibly excited to be working with Lucasfilm in creating an animated story that extends one of the world's most beloved entertainment properties," said Sam Register, senior vice president of development for Cartoon Network. "Cartoon Network's creative team will work hand-in-hand with Lucasfilm to make sure that our common vision for Clone Wars thrills Star Wars fans around the world."

"Genndy Tartakovsky and the team at Cartoon Network are tops in their field," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "Their work on Samurai Jack shows that they can tell an epic story in a unique way, lavishing equal attention on dramatic battle scenes as well as the dramatic development of the characters."

Lucasfilm Ltd. is one of the leading independent film and entertainment companies in the world. Lucasfilm's businesses include George Lucas' film and television production and distribution activities. Lucasfilm's feature films have won 19 Oscars and received 52 Academy Award nominations, and its television projects have won 12 Emmy Awards. The Lucas group of companies also includes LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC, Lucas Digital Ltd. LLC, Lucas Licensing Ltd. and Lucas Online.

Cartoon Network, currently seen in 82.1 million U.S. homes and 145 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s 24-hour, ad-supported cable service offering the best in animated entertainment. Drawing from the world's largest cartoon library, Cartoon Network also showcases unique original ventures such as The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd n Eddy and other Cartoon Cartoons. Since its launch in 1992, Cartoon Network has remained one of ad-supported cable's highest-rated networks. Cartoon Network's Web site is located at http://CartoonNetwork.com (AOL Keyword: Cartoon Network).

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., an AOL Time Warner company, is a major producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic cable industry.

cool, but we have to wait so long:(:rolly2: oh well, it will hopefully be worth it:rolly2:

Gone down in my estimation a notch...

from SciFi Wire

Animation director Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack) told the Star Wars Homing Beacon newsletter that he's beginning work on the upcoming animated Star Wars: Clone Wars series for Cartoon Network. Clone Wars, a series of animated shorts, will air on the network starting in the fall.

"Luckily Samurai Jack is just ending up," Tartakovsky told the newsletter. "I finished the last storyboard in December. So, slowly, Star Wars just took over. I'll still be doing post-production on Samurai Jack until the very end of Star Wars, and we’ll be done Star Wars by late summer."

Many of the Samurai Jack crew will work on Clone Wars, Tartakovsky said. "We're a pretty slim crew, because I wanted it to have more of a personal touch, so it doesn't get too huge." The crew includes art director Paul Rudish, who is doing all the main designs; Dave Dunnet, who is doing the background designs; Scott Wills, the background painter; and Michel Gagne, who will do all the effects designs. "I wanted all the effects to be really stylized and specific, so it feels more nurtured," Tartakovsky said. "He's going to design them all and animate a lot of them himself."

I don't rate Samurai Jack much. My son watches the 'Cartoon Network' practically all day, so I've seen 'Samurai Jack', and if that is the standard of animation the 'Clone Wars' will be, it will not live up to my expectations.

well i definetly would be mad if they made the show look like samuri Jack, that would be just wrong, but i will pray they do better:rolly2:

More Clone Wars news

Tabitha has posted a new thread regarding airdates, but I've found a little more on the content:

Unfortunately, according to the BBC these Cartoons are only 3 minutes long.

from BBC - Cult TV

A series of animated shorts entitled Star Wars: Clone Wars is being developed for screening on the Cartoon Network in the autumn.

Each episode of the Clone Wars lasts about three minutes and features Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and co. leading the forces of the Galactic Republic against evil cloned troopers created by the Separatists.

"It's beautiful-looking and there will be plenty of action," says Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg.

Genndy Tartakovsky, the series producer, has said that the series is "going to be very high quality."

"It'll be like little mini-features, because everything is really hand-crafted and we're really taking our time with everything because we respect Star Wars so much," Tartakovsky told starwars.com.

The Cartoon Network is currently negotiating with Lucasfilm about the possibility of creating a stand-alone Star Wars animated series.

I found more on them here, and the 2-3 minutes long seems to be true.

from E! News Online

Obi-Wan is 'tooning up for some small-screen Jedi hijinks.

Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of animated shorts featuring the epic battles often mentioned but never seen in the Star Wars films, is being prepped for its fall premiere on the Cartoon Network.

The first installment in the series, a collaboration between the AOL Time Warner-owned cable net and Lucasfilm, was previewed earlier this month at the Television Critics Association meeting, and buzz is building online for the 'toons, which are being helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory fame.

Each Clone Wars adventure will run two-to-three minutes and focus on Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and their cohorts as they lead the Galactic Republic against evil armies of cloned troopers created by the Separatists. Put together, the strip tells one continuous story and includes tangents into minor characters' stories as well.

"It's beautiful-looking and there will be plenty of action," says Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg.

The three-minute clip shown to the press was a rough cut, with a temporary soundtrack and some unfinished effects. The story featured Chancellor Palpatine putting Anakin in charge of a clone regiment over the protests of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Tartakovsky, who like George Lucas was inspired by the epic films of Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa, says the series is "going to be very high quality."

"It'll be like little mini-features, because everything is really hand-crafted and we're really taking our time with everything because we respect Star Wars so much," he said in an interview earlier this year on starwars.com.

Clone Wars is expected to debut November 9 and each episode will arrive at regularly scheduled intervals.

"It's going to air from 8 p.m. to 8:03 p.m. and probably rerun at 10 o'clock or midnight...[But] it's going to be at the same time every night so people will know when to look for it," explains Goldberg. "This is a great way to test something and see how people will respond to it."

She says network programmers are discussing various options for how to roll out the 'toons, but the likeliest scenario will see the cable channel present the first 10 episodes in the fall and another 10 in the spring.

The Cartoon Network is also talking with Lucasfilm about extending their partnership to include the possibility of creating a stand-alone Star Wars animated series.

Unlike the much-ballyhooed Animatrix animated shorts, which included key plot points referenced in The Matrix Reloaded, Clone Wars' story line will not necessarily set up Episode III, according to the cable network.

But when pressed for specifics, the Stars Wars camp was predictably mum. "Your guess is as good as mine," says Lucasfilm's Jeannie Cole.

Joshua Griffin of TheForce.net, one of the Internet's biggest Star Wars fan sites, tells E! Online that as far as he and his crew know, the animated series "will be showing the majority of the Clone Wars, and Episode III begins with the finale of that conflict and Palpatine's rise to power."

So far, the only real complaints from the oft-skeptical Star Wars set is that the 'toons aren't long enough.

"While it would have been great to see more of the Clone Wars on the big screen and less of Jar Jar," says TheForce.net's Scott Chitwood, "fans have been waiting for another Star Wars animated series for a long time [after Droids and Ewoks series in the mid-'80s], so there's a lot of enthusiasm around this project. They have a great team working on it and everything they've shown so far looks fantastic."

As for the cast, if you go to www.johnstoys.com they already have figures advertised from the animated series. These include:

Kit Fisto
Sae See Tin
Anakin Skywalker
ARC Clonetrooper
Yoda
Clone Wars Clone Troopers 3-Pack
Clone Wars Destroyer Droids with Launcher
Clone Wars Battle Droids 3-Pack
Clone Wars Jedi Knights 3-Pack
Clone Wars Federation Tank
Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter
Clone Wars Hailfire Droid
Clone Wars Geonosian Fighter

Yeah the whole 2 minutes thing is a bit weird. But I have a feeling they'll be packing a lot of information into those short programmes, so I think we'll still have a lot to talk about. Also, I believe there are going to be a LOT of them, but couldn't find an exact number anywhere.

Having said that, they are so short that I bet they'll be very easy to miss, so I hope they get repeated an awful lot - wouldn't want to get too confused over the plot.

I have just had a thought though... Don't these things sound just perfect for internet broadcast? If they are only a few minutes long then it wouldn't take that long to load them up or download them from the 'net.

Originally posted by Tabitha
I have just had a thought though... Don't these things sound just perfect for internet broadcast? If they are only a few minutes long then it wouldn't take that long to load them up or download them from the 'net.

Yeah, probably one of those "extras" you get for paying for the Hyperspace version of the Lucasfilm online newsletter. :angry: I'll probably miss them, like I missed most of the comics that have come out over the past three years. :rolleyes:

Weeeel, I reckon we will see a lot of these turn up on the net for direct download - if they are that short they will hardly take up any room. Heck, you could email it to your friends!

Not that I condone illegal file sharing or anything.... but I don't think emailing these things to people you know is outside of legal fair use.

Originally posted by captaincarter
is it going to be cartoon or real people? and what channel?
Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you! We must have cross-posted.

please look at this thread for US/UK air dates and channels.

And oh yes, its animated all right!

ok so i have seen the first one, and it was only 5 min long, and looked........

welll lets just say i cant decide wether to shoot myself or laugh out loud that they are calling this star wars:rolly2:

I can't get the ToonAmi channel, and I haven't heard of it being on any other channel in the UK. But I have seen stills and I agree that the animation isn't as good as I had hoped.

I have a question though:

My son love the Star Wars figures you can buy, and there seems to be a new range that aren't from any film, and have the title "Clone Wars". Are these from this animated series, or are they from somewhere else i.e. Expanded Universe books.