Non Bio
Staff member
----------------------------------------------------
Creating episode thread: Remember only
this episode should be discussed here,
or the spoiler tag used.
----------------------------------------------------

Kit-10

Another one to add to the fun with names list.

I don't think Neil was ever going to turn up much doing an internet search for 'Leviathan' (it looked like it was it Alta-Vista he was using? He should have tried Google!) Except the attention of the Sentients, which he did with Kit-10. This mystery woman begins stalking him.

Alarm bells should have been ringing when she knew his real name and his telephone number. They do when she can here him speak, knows his school timetable, and can type instantaneous messages. She sends faked photographs to Holly. Her calls can't be traced, but originate with a server in central asia. She changes traffic light controls, crashes computers, and makes lights flicker.

Eventually, Neil's computer geek friends work out she must be some kind of AI, rather than a hacker, for themselves. Annoyed that Neil has spoken to others about her, she tries to electrocute Paige with a food mixer and a sink of washing-up. (They need a Dishwasher!)

Angela, meanwhile is having problems on the ISS. Her collegues don't trust her. Kitten crashes the computers on the ISS and they have an hour to sort it out before they burn up. Enter Chuck Taggart to talk Angela down. (I didn't understand that, he did it before when she had no idea where she was, but this is a computer problem!) They speak in a code, that by a stroke of luck they had just invented. Angela has to get the power shut down, which she finally manages to convince the other astronauts to do.

Sarah breaks the court ruling and sees Cory. Paul has her removed from his office by security, and the Police issue a restraining order. She starts to get closer to her next husband!

Kitten demands to know what 'Odyssey 5' is, and they develop a trap to catch her. Neil's school is developing a 'Twin-Net' (can anyone explain, I didn't follow that part?) They trap her in a computer in a tank of antifreeze, cutting the connection to the internet once she is inside. The ISS is saved.

It ends with Kurt again, this time putting the computer storing Kitten inside his Freezer.

Love this episode:D It was so creepy, the humour helped make this episode not just creepy but alot of fun too. Angela is finally back, kinda missed her.

The episode main plotline involving Neil has been to death, but somehow, Odyssey 5 pulls it off with it's great acting and directing, the realistic dialogue between the cast helps ALOT.

I'm starting to REALLY loving this show, hope to see further seasons. Any news on a second season yet ? I'm getting worried:(

I did like this episode too, but some of the things:

Neil's school is so ahead that it has this advanced 'Twin-net'.

Kitten speaking out of the computer, without any connection to it, yet being able to be trapped inside one later.

And the 'Odyssey 5 = Pi' maths problem they give to Kitten to supposedly keep her occupied.

The twin net was just an intranet at the school :) with just the ability to block anything coming in/out they didn't want. Firstly an AI would realise this (cos the IP addresses would be different) but hey there are too many holes in the whole AI living on the internet thing anyway.

Thanks, but I had thought it was more than just a question of firewalls.

What was the business with the bottle of antifreezer in the fish-tank, and Kurts freezer at the end?

DOH ! they called it the Twinternet becuase it was made and setup up by the computer geek twins get it?

Anyway I think that was my fave episode to date, a very fast pace and very tense at times a real good thriller.

Didnt like the way she could send IM on messenger without reciever permission but then they can get away with stuff like that using the "sentient code" plot.

When she started screaming DEAD DEAD DEAD to the twins then plunging the house in darkness lol that was a real freaky moment. The way it spiralled out of control was suprising and really gave the storyline some punch.

The traffic light incident, what happened with the jeep driven by the girl, was that a near miss caused by the accident? I dont think it was, it looked like a direct run at them both. Im sure the description matched the girl in the fake photo ( the one with Neil in it) either coto was playing with us or it was a plot flaw.

This has given me a lot more to think about with the sentients. I dont really think they are the cause of the end of the world, they are part of it for sure Ill post more on this later. Also a true AI lifeform is going to be independant to a level even if they are similar I dont think they all share the same goal, Kitten proves this when she asks "what is oddessy5" If she was part of the sentient collective then she would of had full knowledge of them. She did however know Niel`s name and showed pictures of all 5 members. So how much did she really know?

The way she caused Neils mum to get an electric shock while sinister and gripping, you have to think how can she control a mechanical switch. It is either on or off thats part of teh safety feature of such devices. The way the sentients can influence the physical has not yet been answered (will it ever?)

They way Neil got kitten to go for pye (no pun intented) again revealed the humanity? in kitten. She did demonstrate affection for him and on his encouragement abandoned the safety of her server to try and solvce the puzzle (getting caught in the process)

Again this raises more issues about the sentients.

Anyway we again saw Kurt acting a little clandestine. Maybe he was just storing the sentient (in the PC) at the end of the day they have to put this stuff somewhere. Wether he trys to manipulate it in the future leads me onto another prediction

I think we may see the return of Kitten, She will be conscripted to the cause by Neil to help the group maybe combat another sentient or infiltrate the hive.

:)

Ranger

I accidently read a spoiler a few weeks ago. Don't read this if you really don't want to see a big spoiler.

Someone posted that Paige dies.

Only now, I'm wondering whether the poster got this wrong, and it actually refers to the event we saw in this episode.

I think you're right about the 'Twinternet' -- I didn't put that together. :(

Re the Leviathan websearch - I noticed one of the results was www.leviathan.co.uk - check it out if you get the chance, it is pretty funny.

Re the "Twin-ternet" - I thought they named it that after the high tech twins? / D'oh, just noticed RangerOne posted this (that'll teach me for hitting reply before reading all the posts!).

The IM/volume bit really annoyed me, especially since it was her voice we heard, and not a computer's voice (y'know, like Stephen Hawking or something). In fact, the entire idea of an a.i. stalker was a bit annoying for me. I wonder if the rabbit-boiler act was just that - an act to get under Neil's skin, as a pretext for getting close and then asking about Odyssey 5?

I also wondered about the location of the a.i. as being traced to Ukraine - earlier in the ep there was a mention of Russian paranoia about the space program, I just thought the two might be connected somehow (yes, I know the Ukraine is no longer in the USSR, but no doubt it is still within Russia's 'sphere of influence'?). I thought perhaps the a.i. might not be a sentient at all - or at least one connected with the group we have already met. Notice that Kitten makes no mention of previous encounters with the group, or any other references to what we already know about the a.i.'s.

Dave - the antifreeze in the fish tank was a reference to the beginning of the episode, when the teacher is asking what effect does very cold temp have on microchips. I assume for some reason it would have been preferable to speed up the computers to download kitten and trap her. I am very foggy on the science of it all, but that is the connection I made.

As R-One said - we end with yet another shot of Kurt storing away an important clue in his flat. I am very confused on this one, it just seems sinister in some way I can't put my finger on...

Originally posted by Tabitha
I also wondered about the location of the a.i. as being traced to Ukraine - earlier in the ep there was a mention of Russian paranoia about the space program, I just thought the two might be connected somehow (yes, I know the Ukraine is no longer in the USSR, but no doubt it is still within Russia's 'sphere of influence'?). I thought perhaps the a.i. might not be a sentient at all - or at least one connected with the group we have already met. Notice that Kitten makes no mention of previous encounters with the group, or any other references to what we already know about the a.i.'s.

You may have something there. I thought that the Baikonur Cosmodrome was in the Ukraine, but on checking it is in Republic of Kazakhstan. They aren't very close, and although I didn't catch the 'Ukraine' mention, the point on the map was somewhere near Kiev in the Ukraine.

Kitten didn't seem to know much about the Odyssey 5 group, or what they had been up to. Strange since she knew who the members were. I put this down to the fact that the Sentients are separate entities, each with their own group of Synthetics, who they have created and who are loyal only to them. That was the impression I got from last weeks episode. But on further thought, we have seen them working together, so you would expect some sharing of information between them.

I am sure one of the twins mentioned that they had pinpointed the a.i.'s location to Ukraine - I missed the Baikonur ref though.

The idea that the a.i.'s work as 'cells' would make an awful lot of sense - if there was one big brain (so to speak) then it seems incredible that the Odyssey 5 crew haven't already been more effectively neutralised. A cell structure would explain how some know of each other, but some just don't, but without any more information it is very difficult to speculate (this is beginning to be a common phrase in these posts, isn't it?).

Originally posted by Tabitha
I am sure one of the twins mentioned that they had pinpointed the a.i.'s location to Ukraine - I missed the Baikonur ref though.

Sorry, I'm confusing you. There was no Baikonur reference -- but it is the only base big enough for the Russians to launch rockets now, and the main center of their space programme, and I mistakenly thought it was in the Ukraine. I'm sure you're right about the Ukraine reference, I just didn't hear it, the map certainly showed the Ukraine.

If Kitten wasn't a Sentient, but some other AI based in Kiev, how would she know anything about Odyssey 5? And what explanation could be given for all the weird stuff that happened? Only a Sentient alive inside the internet (following the plot we have been spun, and not all the holes in it that padders mentioned) could do that. I think we have to assume she is a Sentient, and I wonder what the repercussions of having captured one might be. Will the others begin looking for her?

Just remebered something that bugged me. On the space station when everything was failing to respond. Chuck came in did the old "trust me or watch them all die" routine and he told in code to Angela to cut the power and reboot.

Angela then had an argument with her commander and he said
"trust taggart? the guy who burned his last satallite launch?"

That doesnt fit becuase the satallite failed after he had erased the drive CPU. Remember his last resort was to spin the shuttle round and burn the satallite with the engines.

So the commander on the ISS must have been told that Taggart had sabotaged the mission, becuase the mission was normal apart from the satallite engine failure.

Was the commander part of the Cadre or was it just rumour he was stating?

Just found it strange.

Ranger

Oh, right, I am with you now on the Baikonur bit, Dave.

As for more speculation about Kitten - I liked RangerOne's idea that she might become an asset to the team later, and I have decided that she isn't really a sentient like the a.i.'s we have been introduced to before. Perhaps she is a less evolved or younger version. How about this to tie it al together: Perhaps she was a less evolved version of the a.i.'s, which was somehow captured, or infiltrated by the Russians. She might have gleaned a little information from the other sentients (about Odyssey 5) before the Russians were able to get information from her - hence their conspiracy worries being somehow connected to O5.

On the other hand the Russians conspiracy suspicions could be something to do with the apparently very real conspiracy surrounding the cadre.

As for the commander on the ISS - I just assumed that he meant that Taggart, as mission commander, bore the ultimate responsibilty for the mission's failure, which he referred to as 'burned', rather than a reference to foul play.

Originally posted by RangerOne SG13 SOR

The traffic light incident, what happened with the jeep driven by the girl, was that a near miss caused by the accident? I dont think it was, it looked like a direct run at them both. Im sure the description matched the girl in the fake photo ( the one with Neil in it) either coto was playing with us or it was a plot flaw.

-------

They way Neil got kitten to go for pye (no pun intented) again revealed the humanity? in kitten. She did demonstrate affection for him and on his encouragement abandoned the safety of her server to try and solvce the puzzle (getting caught in the process)

Ranger

Do you think Kitten's personality is real or affected? Used just as a method to get to Neil?

I believed Kittens personality to be real. How she became besotted with Neil I dont know. Maybe she had limited access to Oddessy5 from the Sentient network. On reviewing Neil she finds him "cool" or attractive. She did after all act immature and selfish. Maybe sentients do have to develop as a human child would only faster.

As I said before the Sentients must have some emotions especially as they study humans to gain them. How they react to emotions is pretty much up in the air but they surely cannot master them instantly. But thats my personal take on sents.

I think we could be seeing sentient splinter groups and even sentient wars in the future.

We`ll just have to watch and see

Ranger

This was a cool episode, I enjoy it a lot. All the story about Kittens and Neil was interesting. I really looking forward to see where Kurt's strange doings are going to end. :( It was a good episode.

Krystal :p

Loving Odyssey 5, Does anyone know if Odyssey 5 will be taking a break on SkyOne after the new year ? Since no new episodes have been shown in the US yet...

I think there's like been 12 episodes shown so far in the US, 13 if you count the pilot episode as 2 episodes.

There will be 6 new episodes on 'Showtime' in the new year, just like the way the show 'Stargate SG-1.'

Whether the episodes have been filmed yet, I've no idea. So whether we will get them early on 'Sky One' like we do 'Stargate SG-1', I've no idea either.

Well I know that they've already wrapped up this new season of Stargate SG-1, so maybe Odyssey 5 has too:D

Which means there won't be a break, I hope.

By the way, SkyOne Mix (107) will be showing a repeat of Odyssey 5 after it's Wednesday showing on Thursdays @ 9pm, so if anyone misses the new episode on Wed, or just wants to see the episode again, catch it on SkyOne MIx on Thursdays:rolly2: