Dean Devlin disgusts me!

Originally posted by CynVision I donno. Directly after the WTC collapse there was a knee jerk reaction of some of the CEOs of the companies involved balking at the relatives of the people that died saying they were entitled to future wages. The seemingly "act of God" nature of the collapse had them thinking "why should you get money, your spouse isn't alive to work" sort of thing. When the press got wind of that they changed their minds and provided some portion of salary.
This is the pressurised moral high-ground reaction of the tabloids and sheep-like public that I hate.

If a person gets hit by a car/bus/lorry etc., then they stop being employed. Their salary stops. The dependents get pension / severance pay. Its unfortunate. The end. If a bus goes over a ravine, the same still applies. It was an accident, but employment/salary stops.

Why should the number of people, timing or method of death have ANY bearing whatsoever on the continuance of salary? The company has lost out as well, already, due to the loss of that person (peoples) character, knowledge, experience and abilities.

The public outcry may be loud, but it is entirely unjustified, IMO. The companies are being made to pay twice for the acts of terror - and therefore the terrorists are winning in their goal of destabalisation.

I hear ya! I am so tired of us propping up the Japanese and South American banks I could scream!

Originally posted by PTeppic
The public outcry may be loud, but it is entirely unjustified, IMO. The companies are being made to pay twice for the acts of terror - and therefore the terrorists are winning in their goal of destabalisation.
But lately in the news was the "surprise" that businesses take life insurance policies on employees when they start working. So the financial burden on the companies is less than you think, it's all transfered to the insurance paying public.

In my history lesson the other day we were discussing the history of the USA and the prejudices towards people. An interesting point was brought up - Why is it that in the UK it is deemed 'acceptable' to be insulting to America but at the same time is isn't considered to be acceptable to 'express concerns' about other countries where the main religion is different from Christianity?

It's like they're saying

'Yeah, go ahead and say what you like about America and how it's influence is changing our country for the worst i.e. longer working hours, fast pace of life and all sorts of things like fast food which is making our kids overweight' etc. etc.

and then at the same time saying

'We must treat other countries with respect and what right have we to question their way of doing things even if it's affecting us? We can't disagree with countries where their religious beliefs are different in case of people thinking that we are racist?'

I'm sorry but there is a difference between racism and standing up for something that you believe to be right.

And for the record, let's remember that this so called 'war on TERRORISM' is exactly that. It is NOT about RELIGION at all, it's about POWER. If you study the teachings of the world's main religions, they ALL teach that killing a person is wrong, war is bad etc. etc. and yet we get these so called 'Religious martyrs' such as the Taliban and the IRA (who are no better in my opinion) who make war in the name of religion whilst killing people and disobeying everything their religion stands for! Osama Bin Laden wants POWER, pure and simple, as does Saddam Hussein and every1 knows that the IRA are fighting over drugs, not whether N.Ireland should be part of the UK or Ireland or whether Catholics and Protestants should live together in peace.

"If faith existed in place of religion, the world would be a happier place." I can't remember who said that but it was someone on the 'Heaven and Earth show' in the UK a few weeks ago. And they have a point. If religion didn't exist then what would these terrorists find to fight about?!? They wouldn't have a mask to hide behind.

Originally posted by lene morissette
and then at the same time saying 'We must treat other countries with respect and what right have we to question their way of doing things even if it's affecting us?

We can't disagree with countries where their religious beliefs are different in case of people thinking that we are racist?' I'm sorry but there is a difference between racism and standing up for something that you believe to be right.

And for the record, let's remember that this so called 'war on TERRORISM' is exactly that. It is NOT about RELIGION at all, it's about POWER.
I think that first part revolves around that bit about owning an empire along time ago . . . agreed in full re: the rest.

Well being in the UK I can tell you that most people are very insulting about those "other countries". We just have this dumb law that says we cant say anything in public because it's racist, plenty of poeple say it behind closed doors tho. WHen US politics is discussed its not considered racism because they arent seen as a different "race". Same goes for France, Germany etc. Race over here seems to be based purely on colour, not religion on geographical territory. It is wrong that critiscm of a way of life is taken as a personal insult.
As for insulting America, I have grown up in a country that idolised America, all my generation believed it to be the best place on earth. UNTIL George Bush. A lot of things he has said and done have created vast anti-american feeling here. Something I had never experienced before. We are sick of watching our politicians jump when he calls, take the Iraq issue. Despite great opposition from the people of this country here go the government backing Bush's proposals. But we have never seen any gratitude from him for our endless support and commitment to America. And I doubt that he would come running if it was the other way round.

As for the IRA, it's not about drugs, its about religion. Catholic kids who cant even walk to school thru a protestant area without being violently attacked and abused. Most of the worlds problems stem from religion.Its always religion, despite as you pointed out the teachings of those religions do not accept murder and violence.
No one disagrees that terrorism must be stopped. I just think a lot of people here are hurt that it was only when the US got attacked that anything gone done. We have had hundreds of terrorist attacks here, thousands of people injured and killed as a result of them. But not once did the US support us like we did after 9/11, and did not propose a war on terrorism then. I'm not saying America is wrong for that, the policy of putting your own country first is a good, one. One I wish we would adopt here. But instead of gratitude for the Uk and rest of the international community who were there for the US in time of crisis and backed them in the war all I have heard is how "no one understands what america went though". I think that is a bit of a kick in the teeth for all those here(and elsewhere) that cried along with America that day. Especially as it wasnt just Americans killed that day. I live in a very small town but even we had a townsmember in the twin towers on business that day.

9/11 certainly does bring out the most extreme feelings in most people . . . most of them are old ones, though, about violence, hatred, racism, bigotry, money, politics, power in one's own country, power over others in their countries, freedom, love of one's own country and creeds . . .

Originally posted by DragonBaby
We have had hundreds of terrorist attacks here, thousands of people injured and killed as a result of them. But not once did the US support us like we did after 9/11, and did not propose a war on terrorism then. I'm not saying America is wrong for that, the policy of putting your own country first is a good, one.
The United States kinda let the stuff going on be far away and over there. We did get those South African embassy bombings and they were pretty cruel, but news of that sort goes into the nightly news in smaller segments than local stuff. I couldn't name more terrorist stuff against U.S. interests abroad except for South Africa, the navy ship Cole and some army barracks off the top of my head. Being a nation apart and surrounded by other peaceful nations has lulled our nation into thinking nothing could happen here. It's what made the joke about the "War with Canada" in 1969 so funny. It just is not part of our day-to-day thinking that we could be attacked by Canada. Meanwhile, there's the communities waiting on the next car bomb. The people here are not living on that sort of edge. I doubt a one of the people that hang out on my street would know how to treat someone injured in the way I've seen car bombs tear up people in a mall. And on TV in places where there are constant attacks people know, they dive in, they react with purpose to the situation. Having had the terrorist attacks in New York hasn't changed the average person in Chicago. I look outside and see that petty thefts and shootings are still being done in my neighborhood. We've been hearing how to "keep going as if nothing has changed" and at the same time being told the world will never be the same. People here have not changed. An abandonded car across the street has had its tires stripped this past week. A drugged/drugged out guy approached my car tonight and asked for a lift because he said I looked like a friend of his. Some children were nearly hit by a speeding car tonight just steps from my front door just minutes after I got home. Minutes after that there was a footchase and three police cars trying to catch a guy running down my block.

What did a local paper do this week? Put a VCD of interviews and photos from New York into the Sunday issue. Money is being made on the media of this. At this point I just see Dean Devlin as a copy-cat of all the rest. The last guy in line.