double meanings in titles

skydiver

Trivia Goddess
i mentioned maybe this should have its own thread so...here it is.
anyone noticed the titles of the eps seem to have double meanings?
starting way back in season 1.
the enemy within- kowalski had an 'enemy' within him, the sgc had an 'enemy' within thier midst with teal'c
singularity- there was a singularity (black hole) featured in the eps, and cassie was the singular survivor of her people.
chain reaction- hammond retiring set off a chain reaction of events that nearly destroyed the planet, along with mucking up the chain of command, while sam's bomb set off a chain reaction in the planet that has undetermined reprocussions.
watergate- the literal meaning of a gate linked to a waterworld and the implied conspiracy of harry being in russia.

others?

well this isn't a double meaning but i always thought tinman was a really cool title. you know, "if i only had a heart"...

true.. i thought of that after the watergate episode.. i thought conspiracy when i heard the title as opposed to a literal water gate...

will try and think of more.

yeah, the whole tinman/wiz of oz thing
scorched earth- that's literally what the alien was doing, and you could say that's what jack was doing to danny by being willing to let him die, not to mention the whole carter thing...heck he pretty much alienated all of them
matter of time- the wormhole messing with time, it being only a matter of time before jack would have to deal with his past
legacy- machello's legacy, jolinar's legacy
broca divide- the obvious light & dark division and the way it and the virus split the people
emancipation- 'liberating' the womenfolk and the boys seeing carter as more of an equal and less the girl(though they certainly enjoyed seeing her AS the girl)
solitudes-jack & sam alone and danny & teal'c having to keep working on the problem basically by them selves

i know there are more but my brain isn't working right now

The Broca Divide was where Language separated people from non-people brought out in the episode, also.

The Children of the Gods The larva that grew up and took new hosts besides the fact that the goa'ulds treated their slaves like "" in the worst sense of the word, thier creation with no real life oftheir own.

Past and Present deals with the fact that Linea had a past and was present on that planet making a future. The past and present SGC dealings with her. That Daniel decided his break with Sha're was final and he started to get on with his own life.

Spirits the creatures that watched over Tonani's people and the spirit of how the SGC conducted itself with alien peoples not as technologically advanced.

Pretense Not only Teal'c's and Lya's but the pretense that the Tollans were safe because of their technological superiority. To say nothing of the Goa'uld pretense of keeping relations with the Tollans while preparing to attack them.

Maternal Instince... Remember the Parkay margarine ad where Mother Nature is given what she says is "Butter"? Her reaction to finding out that it isn't is to cause lightening. What does Oma Desala use... Lightening to kill the goa'uld. Moral of ad and Maternal Instinct...Don't fool with mother nature!

Please don't forget that a scorched earth policy is one where nothing can live in what is scorched!

Oh,yes, there is a definite trend!

[Edited by jsc on 01-18-2001 at 11:58 PM]

Shades of Grey...

1- the obvious 'we're doing bad things to save the planet'.

2- But also, only few eps after Foothold, it really looks like to me that they're also describing Maybourne's character. A 'great' guy at one part of Foothold, and a not so great one in SOG

The Curse...

1- Well of course there's the Osiris ( or Isis ) curse.

2- But somehow I can't help but think of the Daniel curse. Looks like every girl he tends to have a 'relation' with ( willing or not willing) is bound to turn on him.
Shilah and Ke'ra were really interested, one got him addicted, the other was a psycho.
Another side of this Daniel curse is the Daniel-girlfriend ( and I use the term loosely) curse. Looks like every girl he had a private pyjama party with were either bound to be taken by Goa'uld, or already taken. Sha're, Hathor, Sarah. OK, it was never explicitly said about Sarah, but from what was said, they sounded like they had been really close... This curse sure have a damn memory... Over 4-5 years minimun after this relationship started.
Heck, if this theory is right, we shall know with just how many girls Daniel had fun-under-the-blanket with... They will most probably turn into Goa'ulds. That should count as a statistic indicator.

If they're eyes glow run like hell ( Skydiver, Centre of attention)
My new advice: If she looks at you, run like hell.

Hi Chupivore!

Have you noticed the little alien following you? When you have given it a name there is a thread in the Stargate General Discussion called -alien- where you can tell us what you have named your little alien!

I was glad that you brought up Daniel's curse with women!

yeah, he doesn't have much luck.
I just like thinking of all the literary refs behind them ie AP was a good one. I just love titles with meanings, but am no good at making my own :(

Try Beneath the Surface

Point of no Return and et cetera.

Let your mind free associate.

Beneath the Surface is an easy one. First they are physically beneath the surface of the planet. Second, Jack and Sam have feelings for each other beneath the surface that can't come out cos of the regs.

And the Administrator was hiding what his planet relied upon beneath the surface also... the slaves!

you could also look at it that their memories were just beneath the surface. you know it's odd i was watching fire and water a few weeks ago and nem says to daniel something like 'it's all there beneath the surface' referring to danny's memory of omoroca

how about absolute power...the old saying absolute power corrupts absolutely...and boy did it

Says what people think of absolute power. What I like was the power to teach through dreams... and the power that Shifu had to leave when he wanted to. What probably meant was absolute power to control not of sharing... or teaching. Really interesting use of the word power and absolute.

Originally posted by chupivore
Shades of Grey...

1- the obvious 'we're doing bad things to save the planet'.

2- But also, only few eps after Foothold, it really looks like to me that they're also describing Maybourne's character. A 'great' guy at one part of Foothold, and a not so great one in SOG
If they're eyes glow run like hell ( Skydiver, Centre of attention)

3- Jack's hair? retirement? that's what i got out of it?

Martouf: that's funny 'cause I was jsut thinking the same thing... About Jack's hair. I was going to post but you got it first! great minds...

when i first heard of that episode (SOG) the first thing i thought of was jacks hair.

I hadn't realised that you could take so much out of the titles till I started to read this thread. Wicked take on SOG regarding O'Neills hair - aint gonna be able to get the image out of mind when I hear of that ep now!!

Does it seem as if they've done it more with the fourth season though, as opposed to earlier seasons?

either that or i've just really started to notice it more in the 4th season.

my favorite to date is "Tangent" because ...

-firstly the non-intersecting boomerang curve Carter was trying to get the glider to do around the sun, to get them facing back home, and ...

-secondly the divergance of course from a quick glider tour around earth to a one way trip to ApophysiLand!