What is your favorite book? (Robert A Heinlein)

One of my all time favorite books is his Red Planet (one of my earliest SF reads).

Ummm... yes, I have an especially soft spot for that one, I will admit. I recall being the first person to bring the connections between that one and Stranger in a Strange Land to the attention of Justin Leiber (son of Fritz Leiber) when he was teaching a course on philosophy and sf at the University of Houston... led to an interesting discussion, as I recall.....

When I was about 12, I ran across Have Space Suit, Will Travel in my school library. It had the Ed Emshweller (Emshwiller?) illustration on the cover, of Kip in his spacesuit on the surface of the Moon.

After I read that, I had a whole new view of life, and Heinlein became a paterfamilias of sorts for me. His juvenile novels, and I read them all, showed me that other kids have big dreams, and that the right adults will encourage you to realize those dreams. Oh, and that growing up can have a lot of difficult decisions, but ones you want to make.

I am fond of the time travel novel The Door Into Summer. Besides the lovely title, it also has a fascinating plot. Heinlein had to create two different, believable near futures. (He quite accurately describes what we would now call an ATM or debit card.)

I am in general agreement that The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one of his best. In a different way, Starship Troopers always holds my attention, even if I'm screaming at it.

The worst Heinlein book I have ever read, by far, was I Will Fear No Evil.

I have yet to read any of his work , although I have recently picked up Stranger In A Strange Land , The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Time enough for love :)
Don't know when I'll find the time to read them though as I'm currently working my way through the works of P K Dick and A C Clarke .
I currently have a full book case of stuff I'm yet to read , just cant help buying books :D

Although I was always an avid SF fan, I resisted reading heinlein for a long time. Maybe it was because he was such a giant in the field, I felt that his work would never live up to his reputation. That said, once I finally broke down and started reading him I couldn't stop. I loved just about everything of his I ever read.

As to favorites, I'd probably say it's "The Puppet Masters": great story, a worthy protagonist, romance, etc. It was also made into a very good, although underrated movie. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is probably next, folloed by "Starship Troopers," which was made into what felt like a half-hearted movie and an ever-more-campy series of sequels. (Believe it or not, the cartoon "Starship Troopers" series was far better than most of the movies.)

The door into summer is my favourite of his.

I liked The moon is a harsh mistress but didn't really like Stranger. Not sure I've read any others.

I might go for Citizen of the Galaxy myself as being one of the best.

By the way... have you ever read Jack Williamson's essay on Heinlein's juveniles ("Youth Against Space: Heinlein's Juveniles Revisited")? He, too, felt these were Heinlein's best work....

ditto

psik

I am fond of the time travel novel The Door Into Summer. Besides the lovely title, it also has a fascinating plot. Heinlein had to create two different, believable near futures. (He quite accurately describes what we would now call an ATM or debit card.)

I am in general agreement that The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one of his best. In a different way, Starship Troopers always holds my attention, even if I'm screaming at it.

The worst Heinlein book I have ever read, by far, was I Will Fear No Evil.

I think you have summed up my feelings for Heinlein perfectly. I have nothing more to say...

"Orphans Of The Sky", it's been some time since I read this.
It's interesting to see how the citizens don't realize that they are living on board a generation ship.
The inside of the ship is the whole universe and anything outside it is an illusion.
It's only the mutants living in the outer layers of the ship who understand the true nature of things.

Though I like (and still have) his books for older readers, My favourite is one I read as a child - Time for the Stars (about twins, telepathy and space travel). I thought it was very entertaining but I had no idea it was written as far back as 1956. :eek:

"Orphans Of The Sky", it's been some time since I read this.
It's interesting to see how the citizens don't realize that they are living on board a generation ship.
The inside of the ship is the whole universe and anything outside it is an illusion.
It's only the mutants living in the outer layers of the ship who understand the true nature of things.

The mutants were near the center. That is where the bridge was. That was among the earliest SF books I read and encountered the idea of artificial gravity via centrifugal force.

But how is it different from thinking that the Earth was the center of the universe and the Sun moved around it?

That story is as much psychology as hard science.

psik

Well as I said it has been some time since a read it, I can't remember all the details.
I suppose this would make more sense for them to live on the ships bridge as the mutants would have access to the ships records.

I stumbled across this Wired article from a couple of years ago:

http://archive.wired.com/geekdad/20...ders-choice-for-top-10-science-fiction-novel/

I did a slightly different analysis of the data by computing votes per author since some authors got more than one book into the list.

Code:
6 bks    Robert Heinlein                2.92%   8.51%     163 votes 475
2 bks    Douglas Adams..                6.04%   7.35%     337 votes 410
1 bk    Frank Herbert....                        6.09%    340 votes
1 bk    Orson Scott Card ......                   6.04%    337 votes
4 bks    Neal Stephenson.                2.83%   4.95%     158 votes 276
1 bk    Isaac Asimov......                        4.71%    263 votes
1 bk    George Orwell.....                        4.02%    224 votes
3 bks    H.G. Wells..                    1.88%   3.82%     105 votes 213
1 bk    Ray Bradbury......                        3.64%    203 votes
6 bks    Philip K. Dick ..               1.9%    3.64%     106 votes 203
2 bks    Larry Niven.                    2.44%   3.60%     136 votes 201
2 bks    Arthur C. Clarke....            2.04%   3.58%     114 votes 200
1 bk    William Gibson....                        3.39%    189 votes
1 bk    Aldous Huxley.....                        2.37%    132 votes

Heinlein won even though his highest book was only #8 in the list. Only PKD had as many books but they were not rated as highly.

psik

Last edited:

Tunnel in the Sky
The Puppet Masters
Starship Troopers
The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag

Reading this thread brought some happy memories back. Favourite books as with many others here are probably in a dead heat Stranger In A Strange Land and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. I also have a soft spot for Glory Road and the Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag. As for short stories there are a number in the collection The Man Who Sold the Moon, including the title story and The Roads Must Roll that have always stayed with me. Oh and just remembered the soft spot I have for Double Star, which surely must have been the original inspiration for the film Dave.

That having been said I also feel Heinlein wrote some of the worst Science Fiction I have ever read, though fortunately the names of most of them are blotted out of my memory - Beyond this Horizon is definitely one I loathed.

I've always liked Bob Heinlien's work, he was head and shoulders above the field for many years. He had a couple of duds: early on Rocketship Galileo needed a rethink and much later on, after his illness, he fell victim to rambling novel syndrome. Yet his characters shone and the action pulled you on. For a long time the battle for best work was between Podkayne of Mars (yep I fell in love with Poddy) and Starship Troopers. There were other good 'uns, especially the 'juveniles' which did an excellent job of pitching the whole cosmos around so it was examined from a child's perspective.
Starship Troopers is challenging to some because, like 1984 and Brave New World before it, it looks into an area they would rather not look. It's societal model is based on Timarchy, one of Plato's five forms of government (Republic, Book VIII). Orwell and Huxley were fine by me though, with hindsight, 1984 was overpoweringly 'in your face'. Starship Troopers is a fine yarn and one I am comfortable returning to. Your species is under threat, what are the exigencies of state? Permanent war footing - conquer or die, convert or die, submit or die (you might die anyway). Why wouldn't you explore different systems of government? Don't go on a war footing until it's too late and you end up like all the lost civilisations of the past: smashed up and consigned to the rubbish bin of history.

Let's peer into the mindset of a West that has 'moved on'. Conquest of empire gathered pace from the mid-C17th when the Porte last failed to take Vienna (rescue courtesy of John III Sobieski) and peaked in the C19th (bearing in mind Spain & Portugal had a head start). Germany was late to the game - a key cause to the tensions behind WW1 & WW2. Except these were only world wars in the sense of empires bringing foreign soldiers to Euro-soil. While we built empires, the Balkans felt the heel of the Turk. Liberating the oppressed was second place to managing rival European ambitions which in turn was not to interfere with Empire, the foundation of trading wealth. The dominance of Europe ended with WW2. Post WW2 there have been attempts to spread Western ideals to the rest of the world in the grand aspiration that this will somehow better mankind. There's little keeping the Malthusian conclusion from coming into play... dystopias with starving hordes on the move, I'm up for that. Compare this to the Mamluk system (Mamluk = warrior slave) they turned empires on their heads. It was brutal and relentless and it also pre-dates the West, going back to the Turco-Mongol hordes of the C13th, and before. The last Mamluk empire didn't end until the C20th - the Ottoman.
The refrain is 'now we have more enlightened times' yet when you peek under the cover of any recent election or referendum - those who rule and those who feel entitled to rule, play dirty politics. The ingredients: a pit full of greed, the morals of a rat and a sprinkling of Machiavelli.

We don't know what we'll find out there; eventually we'll work out how traces of organic compounds come to be bombarding the Earth, and presumably everywhere else; and even how there come to be ice asteroids. It'd be comforting to think we're all alone in the universe.