Rama (Arthur C Clarke)

padders

System Lord of ASciFi.com
Anyone read the four rama books. The first written by Arthur C Clarke and the next 3 (which are all much longer) written by Arthur C Clarke and Gentry Lee.

The first one is true Arthur c clarke, hard hitting science fiction. The next 3 take a much slower pace on the sci-fi but explore so much and create such great characters. By the end of them you really undersood the characters so much and the ones that died made it very sad at moments.

So what did everyone else think of them?

I read the first three books. I love the first one - Rendezvous with Rama. I think it's one of the best Clarke's books. But I don't like so much the other volumes. They seem to me a bit boring.

I like more his earlier works (A Fall of Moondust, 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Meeting with Medusa).

I agree that the original was brilliant but i also loved the stories of the other 3. The creation of the whole world, the purpose of the Rama, coming back to earth - aww.. i loved it. Read it quite a long time ago if i ever got a chance to re read books they would be top of my list!

I've got them on my shelves - well in some boxes - but I've never read them. Oh My Goodness!!! Shame on me.

Between myself and my husband we have enough books to open a library and probably half haven't been read yet by either myself or my husband. In hunting through them the other day I found a whole box of books that we had bought and never read. In fact I had forgotten we'd even bought them. We're like that. We love books so we buy them knowing that one day we'll eventually get around to reading them.

Cheers,

My little collection has also grown. I think i own about 40 sci-fi books that i have read about about 20 that i have not read. As i have only been reading them for about 3 years that is 20/year. By the time i am 80 i am going to have a lot of books!

I liked RAMA II the best. It was alot more exciting that the others. Garden of Rama was a bit weird, but I still enjoyed the series.

Arthur C. Clarke Rocks! I love his short stories.

I really liked the Rama series, although the first two were definitely the best. I think it might have been a good idea to have just done one sequel, as the last two seemed a little stretched out and unnecessary IMO, but I still enjoyed reading them. :)

Rama is what sucked me in back when. I tore through the whole series and was crushed when the last page was done. Clarke devotee since.

Originally posted by Vera
I read the first three books. I love the first one - Rendezvous with Rama. I think it's one of the best Clarke's books. But I don't like so much the other volumes. They seem to me a bit boring.

I read the first one and half of the second and put it down because it was boring and other life events became more important. I loved the first one. The only beef I have with Rendezvous with Rama is that Clarke gets somewhat to descriptive. J.R. Tolkein does the same thing. I love detailed descriptions, but I also appreciate "getting to the point". I think Clarke could have been slightly more direct at times. Overall, great stuff.

I have read all four of the rama books and I thought the first was the best. I liked the thought that the ramans didn't realy care that people were wondering around in the ship. like a bacteria in your car.