• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Rama (Arthur C Clarke) to be a film

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
There was a Rama project with Morgan Freeman , but nothing came of it.

Maybe if Childhoods End is successful as a miniseries we might get a Rama Miniseries?

Edward M. Grant

I read the book again recently, and I think the problem with Rama: The Movie is that it's a good book, but not a very good movie. Not enough explosions, life-or-death struggles or time travel for a modern mass audience... by the time J.J. Abrams was done with it, there'd be big shootouts with the Ramans, a heck of a lot more lens flare, and the plot would have the humans trying to save the Earth before Rama crashed into it.

SilentRoamer

I read the book again recently, and I think the problem with Rama: The Movie is that it's a good book, but not a very good movie. Not enough explosions, life-or-death struggles or time travel for a modern mass audience... by the time J.J. Abrams was done with it, there'd be big shootouts with the Ramans, a heck of a lot more lens flare, and the plot would have the humans trying to save the Earth before Rama crashed into it.
I think it would need to rely on visual scope. It would be visually one of the most beautiful things ever made IMO. I agree though they would undoubtedly change the story - killer octospiders anyone...

Morgan Freeman though has stated a desire to make this more than once and a desire to be true to the source material.

This is one of my "if I could see a book in movie form" choices.

Andy Mender

I think it would need to rely on visual scope. It would be visually one of the most beautiful things ever made IMO. I agree though they would undoubtedly change the story - killer octospiders anyone...

Morgan Freeman though has stated a desire to make this more than once and a desire to be true to the source material.

This is one of my "if I could see a book in movie form" choices.
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents :). I think Rama does have potential as a movie if it were to be done in a similar manner as the Odyssey movies. Slow-paced, lots of suspense, perhaps with one or two important questions regarding our (humanity's) perspectives on actual space travel in an Arc.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
A well done 8 - 12 episode series would be perfect for Rama.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
This would look really good on the big screen. :cool:

picklematrix

In capable hands rama could be a great movie. I'd love to see a director capture the sense of mystery and pure Sci fi wonder that the book has.

picklematrix

Seth mcfarlane perhaps haha. The books had a funny moment or two after all!
Nolan could probably work. Interstellar isn't a bad movie, though it does take its sweet time.
James Cameron would also do a good job.
A few years ago I would have said ridley Scott but he's steered the alien franchise way in the wrong direction.

zmunkz

Old thread, but as we’re all still waiting for a movie, figured I’d revive.

Seems to me the issue is that Rama is not really character-driven. It is premise-driven. That is hard enough to pull off in a book, but damn near impossible to make into a movie. You would need a new character-story (with requisite conflicts/romances/dangers) retrofitted into the Rama premise, to get a marketable movie.

Seems doable though.