What's the difference between Others and the "zombie" things?

Mermaid

Sorry guys, I just finished A Feast for Crows and have so many questions! I think I read too fast and miss things. I need help!

The Others are spirits, very, very evil cold spirits. Only dragonglass or obsidian can kill them.

The "zombies" or wrights are the undead victims of Others. They are essentially animated corpses and only fire can destroy them. Remember the hand that attacked Jon in ACOK? So even a dismembered body part can be animated.

Werthead will surely have a better explanation with more details.

Amoka's version of the Others (sorry for the double post):
o.JPG

Ok, I remember the very first part of A Game of Thrones where the Others are mentioned.

Thanks guys, when do you think we'll see the Others come more into the story?

Hmmmm. I like most of Amok's stuff, but that's not really how I imagined the Others... they're too human, for mine. I pictured them as more otherwordly. Something like the Ringwraiths in LotR, but whiter.

I'd say they'll start to play a bigger part in A Dance with Dragons, with some of the focus shifting to the North and Jon and Stannis, and then, obviously, in The Winds of Winter.

Culhwch said:
Hmmmm. I like most of Amok's stuff, but that's not really how I imagined the Others... they're too human, for mine. I pictured them as more otherwordly. Something like the Ringwraiths in LotR, but whiter.

Hmm, I agree too human looking for me. I pictured them more opaque as well (sort of a natural camoflague - would also explain how no-one has really seen them!).

Still a damn fine drawing though. Very evocative.

I'm interested to see how GRRM uses the Others. The more temperate climates of Highgarden etc won't suit them but I seem to remember that they can 'generate' their own cold zone around themselves? Quite a few times we've seen characters mention a sudden change in temperature when they approach?

Yes, Im almost positive its mentioned in the Waymar Royce scene also. Not only do they feel the cold creep up, but there is a conversation about some men dying from cold even though the wall had been weeping.