what's the difference between ...

hopewrites

Crochet Streamer
Before I finish asking that... I'm looking for answers beyond the obvious, because the obvious differences are, I feel, caused by the difference I'm looking for, not the cause of.

So. What is the difference between a Gorgon and a Princess? Why do you only find one in towers and only find the other in labranths? What makes it right to sacrifice one and wrong to sacrifice the other?
When encountered in legend and myth both are symbolic females who are uniformly beautiful and underdeveloped as characters. What makes one an obstacle and the other a prise?

Or am I way overthinking the whole thing?

Gorgons are monsters whose glance turns men to stone. While ecologically useful, they are generally considered inconvenient, as they enforce the use of mirrors in all encounters (whatever wavelength causes the petrification is obviously not reflected by the rather poor quality reflectors available before they were exterminated, demonstrating the truly dangerous species). As far as I know, they do not favour labyrinths, light levels generally being a bit low to maintain their lethality, and I've never heard of one favouring a tower, either.

Princesses are scions of royal families; sometimes daughters of kings, sometimes of lesser members, sometimes of lesser members of the line, occasionally just married to some prince or other. Generally spoilt, if you invite one for a sleep in, avoid peas. They frequently inhabit towers, and at least one famous one in a labyrinth (while spinning thread – not a particularly princesslike thing to do. You have people for that.)

As their sexual experimentation is severely restricted (to avoid any suspicion of the origin of any offspring they produce when ultimately married off – either their official spouse, or a god) they make good sacrifices, although they might well disagree with me. Whether they are "good" or not is frequently a matter of interpretation, but most of them are classified "beautiful" because a) they're kept isolated enough from everyone else that their complexions are not marred by smallpox pitting and b) they're powerful enough that no-one dares say they're plain. Many princesses in tales are quite developed, characterwise, or at least intensively described, but they require massive social upheaval to overcome the fact they're so isolated from the mass of humanity they can't become well-rounded characters.

(And you worried whether you were overthinking?)

Are gorgons sacrificed? They might be killed if they are in the way of the hero performing whatever task he's in the middle of, but I don't recall hearing of one being chained to a rock for a dragon to come and take a bite out of.

A princess is a prize because she's valuable -- her father will cough up for a reward if she's returned safely, perhaps even half his kingdom as a dowry. (Why is it she never has any brothers who take umbrage at this peasant coming along and usurping their rights, eh?) Unless a gorgon has such a father-figure or is wealthy in some way in her own right, there's nothing in it for the hero to rescue and/or marry her, and plenty of downside -- who wants to be petrifed, literally, on his wedding night?

If what you mean is why the obstacle in the hero's way is made out to be a monster, while the prize for his success is a beautiful and wealthy woman, the answer is that the societies in which the stories arose are male dominated. All things being equal, a man would prefer to bed a pretty woman than an ugly one and have a rich wife rather than a poor one. So the stories reflect that. By the same token if he has to kill someone, it doesn't make the hero look good if the person he kills is a saintly helpless female, she has to be worth the killing and she has to want to kill him -- so she is made into a monster.

Last edited:
Oooh! I've read a feminist theory book. I know this.

Except the Judge has already given the answer. Nevertheless ...

As TJ said, the princess isn't so much a prize in herself; she's a prize because she brings the power and wealth of her father, thus offering enormous social-climbing opportunities to the lucky peasant. The gorgon has no father (except a sea-god, and the sea is more female than male anyway). She is a woman uncontrolled by male society (until she ends up getting neutralised by a male hero) and is therefore a monster.

ah! thank you. that was the piece I was missing.

Gorgons are independent women and therefor hard to get to, so they live in labyrinths. Princesses are valuable (and apparently biddable since they marry whomever their father tells them to) and only hard to get to because their value means they will be well guarded.

I'd only ever read one story where the Gorgon got rescued, but it was more for the sake of saving lots of people than the immediate gain of saving her. (she went on to marry the most powerful warlock in all the land because she liked him)

TJ I used the term "sacrifice" a little lightly because it sounded so much better than killed. and really in the stories where Gorgons are killed they are sacrificed to the hero's pride, or the safety of the people she threatens.

I find it amazing that Gorgons are said only to be found in labyrinths.

Aren't Gorgons rock chicks? Can't they be found hanging out with some band or other?

:D

I'm embarrassed that I hadn't thought of that downside to Gorgon life. No wonder they hide themselves away.

Hi,

I think you're all overlooking the blindingly (stone cold?) obvious. Princesses are desirable, and daddy's money and lands don't hurt either. But who wants to bed a chick with snakes for hair?

Cheers, Greg.

Gorgons are independent women and therefor hard to get to, so they live in labyrinths.

I think they live hidden away because they're monsters, outside of society.

You could also argue that the princess lives in a tower because such a structure represents her controlling father's, uhmm ... and the gorgon lives in a network of underground passages because that represents her ... ngggh ...

Whether you should is another question.;)

I don't think you necessarily sacrifice either. As the Judge says, you might fight a gorgon to get to some treasure or whatnot it was guarding, or to stop it going on the rampage (both of which are things monsters just do). A damsel, including but not limited to a princess, might be sacrificed by a cult, presumably because evil gods like either virgins or just good-looking girls, or because the cultists want to pick on someone obviously innocent and helpless to prove their evilness (also, it is hard to introduce a romantic subplot if cultists decide to sacrifice a goat instead).

Alternatively, a damsel might be left out for a dragon. The choice might be because that, belonging to the most idle section of medieval society, they probably aren't tough and scrawny and the dragon will therefore appreciate the gift. But I'm not sure that you'd necessarily use a princess, unless you wanted a particularly damselesque damsel. And do gorgons live in labyrinths? I thought that was minotaurs, which are male as much as gorgons are female (and evil, of course).

And I'm pretty sure princesses live in towers to avoid having to associate with, and therefore smell, the peasantry. Overall, I agree with Harebrain in that it defies analysis. After all, how do you analyse a creature that is not just formed from the bizarre worldview of a pre-modern society, but probably can't fit on the psychiatrist's couch in the first place? Still, at least it's not a Chimera. "So, tell me about your mother." "Well, that's quite a story..."

Money and wealth is not every thing, granted it helps.

I'm with DOE and the party girls, these Princess sound boring to me stuck up towers and never going out. Just about every Princess has a fairytale about them, yet I don't hear hardly anything about Gorgons. There may be good reason for that but if any forum is up to this challange, Chrons I beleive is it.

Save the Gorgons......

Last edited:
Why do you only find one in towers and only find the other in labranths? What makes it right to sacrifice one and wrong to sacrifice the other?

This all sounds like a contemporary gaming or media thing. In mythology and fairy tales Princesses are confined to towers only in rare instances and for particular reasons, usually involving a curse or a spell and for the princess's own protection. Otherwise, they appear in a variety of guises. Some of them take an active role in helping the heroes perform their tasks, and in that way choose their own husbands. These princesses often possess magical powers. And to win them and half (or all) the kingdom, was not always because they were the daughters of kings, but sometimes because they embodied the sovereignty of the land, and were tutelary goddesses.

To kill Medusa because she was a deadly danger makes sense. Certainly not a sacrifice. She seems to have been able to move about freely, nothing about a labyrinth involved. What happened to her sisters, the other two Gorgons, I don't know. I haven't seen any stories about them, except that they were immortal unlike Medusa, so there wouldn't have been any use sending heroes after them anyway. One could imagine any stories one liked about what ultimately happened to them, but they wouldn't be "canon" or, um ... set in stone.

The sacrifice of a maiden princess, to a sea serpent or dragon or other monster, or to the gods, refers back to the religious and ritual role of royalty in primitive religions. The King might be sacrificed, too, but by the priests or by his successor. We hear stories of princesses being rescued. The stories of princesses who were not rescued and who were simply killed as a matter of course would not be worth remembering. "Ho hum, another princess sacrificed." Though in the case of Iphigenia, which was under extraordinary circumstances, there were repercussions that led to further repercussions. But in some stories the goddess rescues her, leaving a deer to be sacrificed in her place, so there is a bit of muddle there.

at least one famous one in a labyrinth (while spinning thread – not a particularly princesslike thing to do. You have people for that.

Ariadne gave Theseus the thread which allowed him to find his way out of the labyrinth, but there is nothing to indicate that she entered the labyrinth herself (except ... maybe ... in Mary Renault). As for spinning, yes, princesses and queens did do that, and weave, too. In the days when kings were little more than tribal chieftains (which were the days when the myths that were recorded or remembered arose), every female who was not dedicated to some other task (in the kitchen for instance) had to spin and weave, or the household went without the clothing they needed. Besides, spinning and weaving play an important role in the feminine mysteries and have a ritual value, too. And let us not forget the Fates, spinning our destinies, and snip cutting our lives short. In later stories, the religious aspect gives way to magic. If there is spinning or weaving in a fairy tale, you can bet there is magic involved, and sometimes three old women to stand in for the Fates and act as mentors to the heroine.

In the traditional stories, Princesses often did things, instead of always languishing in towers waiting to be rescued, but they managed to accomplish what they wanted to accomplish without taking on a masculine role and taking up swords.

So, yes, the princess might be a prize to be awarded, but even then she sometimes rigged the contest. She might also be a priestess, or a goddess. And for all practical purposes (putting aside her interesting origins) the Gorgon is simply a dangerous monster.

Last edited: