The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

I like maps, to the extent that a great many of the non-fiction publications I buy are atlases of one sort or another. I would have like to have seen an official map of the First Law world (even if it was hidden away near the end of The Last Argument of Kings).

But as this is an Abercrombie thread, here's a link to some of his thoughts on the matter:

When does the book start to pick up on a coherent story coz at the moment it's just a bunch of characters running around going stuff unstory wise

This one of few contemporary slow epic fantasy books with many characters that is really worth waiting for the pay off. The story picks way before the ending,the action,the characters get better.

Do you like any of the characters that has POV ? If so it should be a pleasant read until you get more of the story.

I like Logen and Glokta is quite the bitter man. Just got to the part where the Chamberlain is holding talks with the Northmen and Major West.

I like Logen and Glokta is quite the bitter man. Just got to the part where the Chamberlain is holding talks with the Northmen and Major West.

Glokta and Logen's old crew's adventure in the barren north kept me going smoothly through the slow parts.

Logen was a bit too typical barbarian hero for my taste. Likable sure but not like the twisted,bitter Glokta.

It's like in the movies, the baddy/villain is always more interesting :)

Its not like the movies, Glokta wasnt the villain even from page 1 to me.

I have read many darker characters,it depends on if he is believable a hero or a more morally gray character like Glokta.

Reading this book i didnt see anyone as a hero really.

Glokta isn't the bad guy, even though he does some awful things without a second thought. And as Conn says, there is little heroism in this book and - at the risk of suggesting spoilers - even less of it is found in the sequels.

But I'd still recommend reading all three books in the series.

Glokta is definitely that. His character and the underlying plot are the author's two principal achievements in the trilogy.

Glokta is fantastic. I think in the end he turned out to be my second favourite character in the series. He was so twisted, so dark and yet he was also so funny, his dark sense of humour appealled to me a lot.

Glokta is by far my favourite. I looked forward to reading his scenes throughout the whole book.

Just finished reading this series and really enjoyed it, although several questions were left unanswered - on purpose I guess?

Reading something vastly different just now (Shogun by James Clavell - it's incredible!) until I read Best Served Cold.

Ok, almost finished with book 1 about 130 pages to go and still don't understand the importance of the main characters yet. It probably will tie in at the end but I am still hoping books 2 and 3 will pick up the pace and story a lot better.

Ok, almost finished with book 1 about 130 pages to go and still don't understand the importance of the main characters yet. It probably will tie in at the end but I am still hoping books 2 and 3 will pick up the pace and story a lot better.

I have to admit, book one did get off to a slow start. It's not until the very end of the first book that the "quest" of the series starts to come into focus. Books two and three pick up the pace consideraly as I recall... as long as you're not opposed to some surprising plot twists.

For what it's worth, I found the series to be excellent. I agree the first one's a shade slow (although this bothered me less than it did other people) but I'd urge you to stick with it.

soulsinging - I do like a good plot twist, it spices things up. So basically book 1 is technically the first act setting everything up for the finale?

thaddeus6th - Hehe, my friend got the series but I wanted to own it myself so I got all three as I got some nice vouchers from our local bookstore and got them for cheap. I intend to stick to it, it's very interesting and well written.

I do like a good plot twist, it spices things up. So basically book 1 is technically the first act setting everything up for the finale?
While there are natural breaks where books one and two end, it's all part of one big story.

...but I wanted to own it myself so I got all three as I got some nice vouchers from our local bookstore and got them for cheap. I intend to stick to it, it's very interesting and well written.
I'm sure you won't regret getting all three books, biodroid.

soulsinging - I do like a good plot twist, it spices things up. So basically book 1 is technically the first act setting everything up for the finale?

That'd be a fair way to describe it I think. Book one puts all the players and pieces on the board and puts them in context, then the next two are a bit quicker. If you're enjoying the gritty feel and the characters already, then I think you're really going to like the series because they only improve on that. Just don't expect things to turn out the way fantasy stories usually do.