Will Harry Die In Book 7??

Alia

Young at Heart
I actually had a chance to watch the news the other day and heard this, found it interesting...

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=4128

The story that two characters will die in the seventh and final Harry Potter book came out a few days ago, but I held off on reporting on it, but now that some additional speculation and quotes came out I was inclined to get to typing.

Author J.K. Rowling seems intent on making sure that no one touch her famed franchise as she can't bear the thought of "non-author-written sequels."
"After I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character," she was quoted in the NY Daily News.
While Rowling is not done with the seventh book she is well on her way as she admits that she "wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I've known exactly how the series is going to end," she said.
She has come out and said that two characters will be dying in the seventh novel, but will Harry be one of them?
"I have never been tempted to kill him off before the final because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books," she said. Beloved characters have died in the past Potter books and it would certainly be quite the stamp of finality should she decide to axe Harry in the final novel. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm quite disappointed by this announcement (not because of the deaths) but I don't believe authors should divulge details of forthcoming novels to "whip" up a marketing frenzy.

I'm sure other authors are guilty of this kind of behaviour too but I don't like it.
I suppose you have to blame the fans for hounding the author into making these announcements in some circumstances however.

I would have bet that Harry would have survived but JK Rowlings admission that she wants to "make sure" no-one is able to write more Harry Potter books is kind of ominious for Harry.

While not that involved with the Potter Phenomenon, I have to say that, if this is true and considering some of the fans that I've met, I hope for her sake she's got lots of good insurance and a nice security team -- about what is needed for Fort Knox. She does this, she may need it.....

Never read the Rowling books and have no real urge to do so. The subject matter doesn't interest me that much but killing off the main character in the final book sounds a tad harsh...

j. d. worthington said:
While not that involved with the Potter Phenomenon, I have to say that, if this is true and considering some of the fans that I've met, I hope for her sake she's got lots of good insurance and a nice security team -- about what is needed for Fort Knox. She does this, she may need it.....
I so agree with you JD...

I can't say I hope she kills Harry off in the final installment, but man, that would be a heck of an ending. I have loved the emotional roller coaster Rowling has created in her books, getting you attached to characters and then making them suffer. It's not like any other children's series I've read, and that is one of the reasons I think the books are so popular. We suffer when the characters suffer, we cry when they cry, and we feel joy right along with them. If she does kill Harry off, I imagine we will feel outraged and betrayed. I haven't read any other books that call on that level of emotion - that's why I enjoy them.

Winters_Sorrow said:
… I don't believe authors should divulge details of forthcoming novels to "whip" up a marketing frenzy.

Perhaps there's a fear that she is losing her fan base, and that the book sales may fall below 100 million. They're just trying to generate some anticipation. Marketing departments will have to work extra hard to get the release of this book into the public consciousness.

Paige Turner said:
Perhaps there's a fear that she is losing her fan base, and that the book sales may fall below 100 million. They're just trying to generate some anticipation. Marketing departments will have to work extra hard to get the release of this book into the public consciousness.
*cocks an eyebrow in Paige's direction*

Little heavy-handed there ain't we, Missy?

Well I guess a lot of her fanbase are 'growing up' and moving on, so it may be a more valid point than you realise.

Pretty sure it'll still top best-seller lists worldwide but then so did "Take That" once upon a time.

Kids are so fickle. :)

Judging by what she said in that interview, it could very well be Harry. I suppose the seris could soldier on if Ron and Hermione died, but you can't really have an eighth Harry Potter book without Harry. So yes, I think he will. Harry giving his life to kill Voldemort, or having to die for voldemort to die, would fit in the series well.

I think he'll die but I'm not sure he'll stay dead. I really think Harry is a Horcrux; and it's left ambigious in the last book about what the last one is. We know a living being can be one ( Nagini might be); Harry's scar is also a symbol of a transfer of power, I think the source of that power is part of Voldemort's soul. It would also explain why Voldemort wants to kill Harry ( and not a death eater) so he can get it back.

So I think Harry will have to die at least temporarily to kill Voldemort.

I think it will be good if Harry dies, the series has draggon on far too long and this will be a conclusive end to it.
It feels like she is flogging a dead horse now.
Rowling has proved she has got a brillient imagination and it would be such a shame if she will continue with Harry forevermore and not develop new charecters and alternate novels.

he is going to fight voldermort in a supperburlybrawl(neo-smith), then fly into space and destroy the death star, ride a horse and save earth from the vogons, visit shayol ghul and kill smaug and watch a klikiss and a iluminati priest do battle with staffs of power, amongst other things