Looking for other books like 13 1/2 lives of captain blue bear, harry potter, etc..

Dorian Whisp

I was wandering if any body out there knows of any other books that are similer to 13 1/2 lives of captain blue bear, Harry Potter, Redwall, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, and such.

I can never seem to find good books with the over saturation of the fantasy section. any books that are as good of quality and intrest as 13 1/2 locb would be great.

i would allso like to know of any good series that deal with adventure and horror, and fantasy on the high seas. kind of like Pearls of Lutra of the redwall series, or allso 20,000 leagues under the sea

Re: Looking for other books like 13 1/2 lives of captain blue bear, harry potter, etc

Well for high sea adventures with a dash of fantasy I could recommend Paul Kearney, especially his current Sea Beggars series.

If you've read 13 1/2 Lives then you may like Moers other books in Rumo and the excellent City of Dreaming Books.

You may also like Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams and perhaps Kate Elliot's Crown Of Stars sequence.

If you liked Harry Potter and Redwall you may want to give Philip Pullman's excellent His Dark Materials, Gath Nix's Abhorsen trilogy or Ursula Le Guin's Wizard Of Earthsea quartet a go.

You can also have a look at the SFF recomendation threads that appear at the top of this subforum or the YA section.

Best of luck.

Re: Looking for other books like 13 1/2 lives of captain blue bear, harry potter, etc

Tim Powers's On Stranger Tides are adventure,horror on the seas.

I second Paul Kearney.

Space Captain Smith, Flora Segunda, The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, The Black Ship & The Cypher, Robson's Dragon Orb series, Mad Kestrel, Peter and the Starcatchers to name a few.

I love finding new books and authors to enjoy! Best of luck!

There are the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander as well as the Narnia books by C. S. Lewis.

I would second Philip Pullman and the other Moers books (I'm reading City of Dreaming Books right now actually).