Favourite GRRM quotes

“Remind me to tell the High Septon,” said Tyrion. “If I could pray with my c0ck I’d be much more religious. "​

“A ******* name,” he said. “My father was Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell.”
The girl watched him warily, but Stonesnake gave a mordant chuckle. “It’s the captive supposed to tell things, remember?”

So many good quotes, have know idea why I've thought about those two.​

The Red Viper (circling Gregor Cleghane with his spear): "Do you know who I am?"
Gregor Cleghane (watching, huge sword in hand): "Some dead man."

Cersei: (her face bruising from Robert's blow) "I shall wear this as a badge of honor."
Robert Baratheon: "Wear it in silence or I'll honor you again."

Syrio Florel, to Arya: "Fear cuts deeper than swords."

The Hound: "There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different."
Sansa: "You're awful."
The Hound: "I'm honest. It's the world that's awful. Now fly away little bird, I'm sick of you peeping at me."

Tyrion the dwarf: "What sort of man do you take me for?"
Cersei: "A small and twisted one."

Cersei: "Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same."

Eddard Stark: "If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look him into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

Tyrion: "I am sorry for your loss as well, Joffrey."
King Joffrey: "What loss?"
Tyrion: "Your royal father? A large fierce man with a black beard; you'll recall him if you try. He was king before you."

Varys the Spider: "There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man."

Jaime: "Even if the boy does live, he will be a cripple. Worse than a cripple. A grotesque. Give me a good clean death."
Tyrion: "Speaking for the grotesques, I beg to differ. Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities."

Bran: "Can a man still be brave when he's afraid?"
Eddard: "That's the only time a man can be brave."

Theon Greyjoy: "Why should a man humble himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him?"

Littlefinger (to Eddard): "I did warn you not to trust me, you know."

Unknown swordsman at the Red Wedding: "Jaime Lannister sends his regards."

Ser Jorah Mormont: "Your grace...Rhaegar fought [for his throne] valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died."

"Give me sweet lies, and keep your bitter truths."
~Tyrion

Hi guys,
I'm new here and my first post couldn't be something else but one of the pages which make me to love those books.
Actually, this scene isn't something really special but I really liked the figure of Liddle because is a character completely different than the ones we've met in the wild Westeros. I mean where again we saw someone so discreet, who wants only to help and who leaves oatcakes to the foreigners while they are sleeping? :p The normal would be to stab them...
Also, the scene in the warm cave on the mountains, around the fire during a rainy night, is very atmospheric imo :D and Hodor adds some mystery with his answer in the end...

"When there was a Stark in Winterfell, a maiden girl could walk the kingsroad in her name-day gown and still go unmolested, and travelers could find fire, bread, and salt at many an inn and holdfast. But the nights are colder now, and doors are closed. There's squids in the wolfswood, and flayed men ride the kingsroad asking after strangers."
The Reeds exchanged a look. "Flayed men?" said Jojen.​
"The *******'s boys, aye. He was dead, but now he's not. And paying good silver for wolfskins, a man hears, and maybe gold for word of certain other walking dead." He looked at Bran when he said that, and at Summer stretched out beside him. "As to that Wall," the man went on, "it's not a place that I'd be going. The Old Bear took the Watch into the haunted woods, and all that come back was his ravens, with hardly a message between them. Dark wings, dark words, me mother used to say, but when the birds fly silent, seems to me that's even darker." He poked at the fire with his stick. "It was different when there was a Stark in Winterfell. But the old wolf's dead and young one's gone south to play the game of thrones, and all that's left us is the ghosts."​
"The wolves will come again," said Jojen solemnly.​
"And how would you be knowing, boy?"​
"I dreamed it."​
"Some nights I dream of me mother that I buried nine years past," the man said, "but when I wake, she's not come back to us."​
"There are dreams and dreams, my lord."​
"Hodor," said Hodor.​

Tyrion to Jaime:

"...gods be good, look at the two of us. Handless and Noseless, the Lannister boys."

Also from Tyrion in Storm of Swords:

"Tyrion could not quite suppress the grin that came to his lips at the thought of packing his sister off to Pyke. Just when I was about to give up praying, some sweet god gives me this."

cape royds, that Tyrion quote is a great one. It's just one of three in that chapter.

After Greyjoy, Tywin suggests Willas Tyrell for Cersei and Tyrion immediately pipes in "That would be the cripple."

Then Tyrion reflects, that when Jaime hears of Cersei's engagement, poor Willas might "contract a sudden case of sword-through-the-bowels."

My favorite quotes are essentially....anything said by Dolorous Edd....and the unforgettable..."Hodor, said Hodor."

"Stark's grey and Greyjoy's black, but it seems we're both Windy." ~ Theon Greyjoy.

My favorite quotes are essentially....anything said by Dolorous Edd....

I can second this. Dolorous Edd has so much character, and one of the greatest names in the world...Had to read it several times, to make certain I was really reading what I was reading, when first I read it.

I can second this. Dolorous Edd has so much character, and one of the greatest names in the world...Had to read it several times, to make certain I was really reading what I was reading, when first I read it.

Thats why in some way his comment when the wights attacked the camp was somewhat chilling and told of the fear of the attack

"Sam im having a horrible nightmare, please wake me up"

Normally he would come with some quib, some story, but not here, just plain fear, a great moment.

Thats why in some way his comment when the wights attacked the camp was somewhat chilling and told of the fear of the attack

"Sam im having a horrible nightmare, please wake me up"

Normally he would come with some quib, some story, but not here, just plain fear, a great moment.
You forgot that Edd was holding the black banner of the Night Watch :)

Here is more quotes from the sworn sword:

“Nasty stuff, water,” Bennis said. “Drank some once, and it made me sick as a
dog. Wine’s better.”

“I might.” Better than you know. “I remember once some little lord in the
stormlands took Ser Arlan into service, to help him fight some other little
lord. When I asked the old man what they were fighting over, he said, ‘Nothing,
lad. It’s just some pissing contest.’ ”

Lady Rohanne gave him a shocked look, but could sustain it no more than half a
heartbeat before it turned into a grin. “I have heard a thousand empty
courtesies in my time, but you are the first knight who ever said pissing in my
presence.” Her freckled face went somber. “Those pissing contests are how lords
judge one another’s strength, and woe to any man who shows his weakness. A woman
must needs piss twice as hard, if she hopes to rule. "

Ser dancan and Lady Rohanne

''Tyrion says that people often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it is served up''
Jaime to Catelyn

Sweet Robin........."I want to see him fly"

Ser Daven............"You know why they call her gatehouse Ami? She raises her portcullis for every knight who hapens by"

The Prince of Dorne passing a cyvasse piece to Arianne......Your brother has gone to bring us back our hearts desire. Vengance, justice...Fire and Blood.

(Spoiler, I guess)

One quote which always struck me was Joffrey, in his final scene, when he orders Tyrion to serve as his cupbearer

Tyrion: I would be most honored.
Joffrey(screaming): It's not meant to be an honor!!!

That whole scene just had me itching for him to die. It's quite a powerful scene, the fact that his last moments of life were the ones in which he truly showed the ugliness of his character.

I've got to go with a quote from A Storm of Swords (which I am now reading).

Lord Tywin said:

"You ask that? You, who killed your mother to come into the world? You are an ill-made, devious, disobedient, spiteful little creature full of envy, lust, and low cunning. Men's laws give you the right to bear my name and display my colors, since I cannot prove that you are not mine. To teach me humility, the gods have condemned me to watch you waddle about wearing that proud lion that was my father's sigil and his father's before him. But neither gods nor men shall ever compel me to let you turn Casterly Rock into your whorehouse."

Lord Tywin went from being a static character to a dynamic one in one verbal beating. Man, I feel like I was put down for just reading it. That was brutal.

I found another. This one takes it I think.

"Well, you are a free man now, but if you will not have the girl, best find yourself a she-bear. If a man does not use his member it grows smaller and smaller until one day he wants to piss and cannot find it."

Wise words from Tormund the Giantsbabe.

In the marvellous negotiation between Lord Walder Frey and the Lady Catelyn, in A Game of Thrones.

Lord Walder snorted with disdain. "Lord Tywin the proud and splendid, Warden of the West, Hand of the King, oh, what a great man that one is, him and his gold this and gold that and lions here and lions there. I'll wager you, he eats too many beans, he breaks wind just like me, but you'll never hear him admit it, oh no. What's he got to be so puffed up about anyway? Only two sons, and one of them's a twisted little monster. I'll match him son for son, and I'll still have nineteen and a half left when all of his are dead!"