Favourite GRRM quotes

Ok just tell me your favourite quotes...
my 2 favourite are

That's why they made whores, for people like me
-Tyrion Lannister

Rhaegar fought bravely, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought valiantly, and Rhaegar died.
-Ser Jorah Mormont

Hi NarkytheNarkster - and welcome to the chronicles-network!

If you don't mind, I'll move this to the "Books" section - I hgave a funny feeling this thread will get far more attention there. I'll leave a redirect where you originally posting it, so you'll be able to find it again. :)

"Only a fool humbles himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him."
-Theon Greyjoy

Not a character quote, as much as a general writing quote - one of my favourites from Game of Thrones, as somehow he manages to capture an entire day's jousting in just a couple of sentences:

"The jousting went all day and into the dusk, the hooves of the great warhorses pounding the earth down the lists until the field was a ragged wasteland of torn earth. A dozen times Jeyne and Sansa cried out in unison as riders crashed together, lances exploding into splinters while the commons screamed for their favourites."

Not from the books at all, but something GRRM said a while ago and I love him for it...

Gandalf should have stayed dead.
:D:D:D

Best quote:
"You," Tyrion studied him. "You are one judge in three. How could you save me?"
"Not as your judge. As your champion."

Best scene:
"Elia of Dorne," they all heard Ser Gregor say, when they were close enough to kiss. His deep voice boomed within the helm. "I killed her screaming whelp." He thrust his free hand into Oberyn's unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. "Then I raped her." Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman's mouth, making splinters of his teeth. "Then I smashed her ******* head in like this." As he drew back his huge fist, the blood on his gauntlet seemed to smoke in the cold dawn air. There was a sickening crunch.

Last edited:
I completely agree with tthe scene of Red Viper vs Gregor Clegane! I read that part again and again and again... brilliant.

Quote: "You shot me," he said incredulously, his eyes glassy with shock.
"You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord"

shaggydog said:
I completely agree with tthe scene of Red Viper vs Gregor Clegane! I read that part again and again and again... brilliant.

Quote: "You shot me," he said incredulously, his eyes glassy with shock.
"You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord"
Tyrion is excellent. He can taunt with the best of em. And I would have shot my dad if he had done that too. To think that he was truly loved, and so betrayed by his father! And the deep regreat that Tyrion must bear for taking his wife in the end, after all those guards had their way with her.

He is the tragedy of the series. Poor freakin' midget! I feel so bad for him.

This one is courtesy of old Lord Walder Frey. Knowing what ultimately happens in A Storm of Swords, this still gives me the chills. Lord Frey must die soon...

"Benfrey, see your sister back to her chambers, she has a wedding to prepare for. And a bedding, heh, the sweetest part. For all, for all. We'll have music, such sweet music, and wine, heh, the red will run, and we'll put some wrongs aright."

Again not so much a quote as a scene - just after Ned's been attacked by Jaime in the streets of Kings Landing, and the start of his next chapter is a dream of the events at the Tower of Joy during Robert's rebellion:

'He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.
In his dream, his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion...'

It goes on to describe their confrontation with the three remaining Kingsguard, Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Oswell Whent and Ser Gerold Hightower. I just love the simple and beautiful interchange of dialogue between them, and then it ends:

'"The Kingsguard does not flee."
"Then or now," said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.
"We swore a vow," explained old Ser Gerold.
Ned's wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.
"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.
"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends."'

Just a perfectly written scene, in my opinion. Left me wanting a seperate series about Robert's rebellion.

I like Tormund Giantsbane, he is one of my favorites.

"If a man doesn't use his member, it grows smaller and smaller until one day he wants to piss and he cannot find it"

(probably it is not exact, i cannot find it in the book now, so my memory works.good?)
and my signature, artwork by Tormund Giantsbane

shaggydog said:
I like Tormund Giantsbane, he is one of my favorites.

"If a man doesn't use his member, it grows smaller and smaller until one day he wants to piss and he cannot find it"

(probably it is not exact, i cannot find it in the book now, so my memory works.good?)
and my signature, artwork by Tormund Giantsbane
I, Brian needs to mark this quote and edit! Can't share Martin's actual material if it isn't family friendly, shaggy.

i checked the quote in the book, and my memory is almost perfect, i am really amazed!

and come on, n8smitty, sure u can contain yourself a bit and your posts will remain as you wrote it until the end of humanity, dont lose the faith!

Not my all-time favorite, I'm sure, but I just love it when Bran is dreaming while in a coma; he's falling, and the crow says "Say, got any corn?"

Ok, i got another one... an 8 year old cersei... brilliant.
"He's mine", she said, "and you're just a milk cow, you can't tell me what to do. Be quiet or I'll have my father cut your tongue out. A cow doesn't need a tongue, only udders"

Man, these are all awesome. But one of my favorites from SoS was also in the Tyrion shooting Tywin scene. I don't have the exact quote it was something like, "Lord Tywin proved the rumors of him were false, he did not, in fact, sh** gold."

Cracks me up.

"Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength, then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it and it can never be used to hurt you."
George R.R. Martin (Tyrion Lannister)

Last edited:
A few of my favorite quotes are(well they are not quotes persay but u will get it)

Valar Morghulis

Valar Dohaeris

"Our's is the fury"

Littlefinger: Eddard Stark! Well, they say that the hand speaks in the king's voice and writes with the king's quill. Does that mean that he also fu_ _s with the king's -
(Ned cuts him off)

"Oh, very good." Jaime laughed. "Your wits are quicker than mine, I confess it. When they found me standing over my dead king, I never thought to say, 'No, no, it wasn't me, it was a shadow, a terrible cold shadow." He laughed again. "Tell me true, one kingslayer to another--did the Starks pay you to slit his throat, or was it Stannis? Had Renly spurned you, was that the way of it? Or perhaps your moon's blood was on you. Never give a wench a sword when she's bleeding."

So many good ones, but a favorite is when The Hound is talking to Sansa.

He snorted "There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you cant protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp Steel and Strong arms rule the world, dont ever believe different"
Sansa backed away from him "Your Awful"
"Im honest. Its the world thats awful. Now fly away, little bird, im sick of you peeping at me"