What's everyone's favourite grammar checker failures?

DAgent

This has been coming up a bit of late. I mostly used Google Docs and find it's fairly reliable for correcting spelling errors and catching grammar mistakes, but there are times it manages to get things very wrong or even starts arguing with itself!

For example, my current WIP, every now and then it tells me to change "its" to "it's" and no sooner have I changed the error, then the checker immediately tells me to change back to "its" and the cycle continues!

But my favourite at the moment is in my WIP where I have characters talking about going to a local silver mine, so I might have prose or dialogue along the lines of "And there’s something about the mine," and the grammar checker tells to drop "the" so it becomes "And there’s something about mine," which makes no sense given the context.

So anyone else got any favourite pet peeves about their grammar checker?

Oh yes! Mine is more that some checkers tell me that the dialogue I have written could be considered offensive, as if I was not aware that some are not comfortable with expletives. The profanities are deliberate and not a cultural oversight. Some of my characters swear like troopers as part of their characterization (or more to the point, they swear like Aussies). :LOL: It reminds me of the age old question of who would have genuinely meant to write "ducking" in their work. I think my checker and I have bonded, for I seem to not encounter either issue as commonly anymore.

Oh yes! Mine is more that some checkers tell me that the dialogue I have written could be considered offensive,
A good one I came across I think on a youtubers channel was about how their publishers checkers clearly weren't familiar with certain words, regardless of the context.
So they read a "corrected" passage where just one word had been changed and had to ask the publisher what they thought "he jazzed all over the place" meant :/

Struck me as a messy situation.

The bane of writers’ lives. Autocorrupt on my phone bothers me but Scrivener on my Mac and devices uses custom dictionaries; if you add words and doesn’t faff about with grammar, just typos.

I think there’s something eminently ironic and offensive about a computer suggesting what a writer — mavericks, all — might really mean.

A good one I came across I think on a youtubers channel was about how their publishers checkers clearly weren't familiar with certain words, regardless of the context.
So they read a "corrected" passage where just one word had been changed and had to ask the publisher what they thought "he jazzed all over the place" meant :/

Struck me as a messy situation.
I'll admit it, I laughed a little too hard at this.