Favorite Twilight Zone Episodes

It's a Good Life. This one is truly memorable , Bill Mumy plays a kid with godlike power, he's made the whole world go away except for the town he live and its people, Everyone in the town including his family are afraid of making him mad, The Simpsons did spoof this on on one their Treehouse of horror specials in which Bart was the kid with the power. The 2002 edition of The Twilight Zone did sequel It's still a Good life in the Mummy reprised the role that chacyrer as adult and, has a daughter who has the powers only greater. :)

Last Flight is classic TZ. Loner trying to figure out what a greater universe is telling him. Not my favorite, a little too histrionic. But well done - and there are so many to choose among!

And to reinforce an earlier comment. It's A Good life. Chosen by Baylor above, is based on a short story by Jerome Bixby. Serling had a few favorite script writers, plus he wrote many stories himself. But as illustrated by his choices he (or his minions) had a wide knowledge of the SFF genre.

Last Flight is classic TZ. Loner trying to figure out what a greater universe is telling him. Not my favorite, a little too histrionic. But well done - and there are so many to choose among!

And to reinforce an earlier comment. It's A Good life. Chosen by Baylor above, is based on a short story by Jerome Bixby. Serling had a few favorite script writers, plus he wrote many stories himself. But as illustrated by his choices he (or his minions) had a wide knowledge of the SFF genre.

Which boring up the classic episode To Serve Man which was based on the story of the same name by Damon Knight.:)

Watched the sequel to It's A Good life., It's Still A Good Life, from the Forrest Whittaker two year revival of TZ.
Creepy. And to give credit, not what I expected. Thanks Baylor.

Watched the sequel to It's A Good life., It's Still A Good Life, from the Forrest Whittaker two year revival of TZ.
Creepy. And to give credit, not what I expected. Thanks Baylor.

Your welcome .:)

The Obsolete Man with Burgess Meredith and Romney Wordsworth a man living in disctaroysipe condemned to die by the state because her has been deemed obsolete by that Staes ruling Chancellor played by Fritz Weaver. . He's ben told that is the terminated in 48 hours and he has the right choice the method and time within 48 Hours as how he shall die. He choice to have an assist like by means only heknowne to him and his executioner and he would like to have an audience . The Chancellor agrees and to Mr Wordsworth's request snd he gloatingly points out the educational value of televised executions of which Wordsworth knowing smiling said " of that I have no doubt." We all know the rest. :) This is great episode with two outstanding lead actors .:cool:

The Obsolete Man with Burgess Meredith and Romney Wordsworth a man living in disctaroysipe condemned to die by the state because her has been deemed obsolete by that Staes ruling Chancellor played by Fritz Weaver. . He's ben told that is the terminated in 48 hours and he has the right choice the method and time within 48 Hours as how he shall die. He choice to have an assist like by means only heknowne to him and his executioner and he would like to have an audience . The Chancellor agrees and to Mr Wordsworth's request snd he gloatingly points out the educational value of televised executions of which Wordsworth knowing smiling said " of that I have no doubt." We all know the rest. :) This is great episode with two outstanding lead actors .:cool:

Ah, I see I repeated myself again .:(

Not mentioned so far are "He's Alive" from the fourth season one hour series. Serling's rare overt political statement. This one on fascism.
And The Invaders, Agnes Moorhead's silent tour-de-force.

Not mentioned so far are "He's Alive" from the fourth season one hour series. Serling's rare overt political statement. This one on fascism.
Denis Hopper was in that one . A very memorable episode . :cool:

And The Invaders, Agnes Moorhead's silent tour-de-force.
I loved the surprise ending on that about where the Invaders were from.:cool:

It's a Good Life is definitely one of my favorites. It's pure terror all the way through. No twist ending, but still very good. The face-off between Anthony and Dan is one of the show's most intense moments. I have a kind of morbid desire to know what would happen if Anthony's aunt really hit him with the poker. That's part of the horror of it, though; no one really can know the extent of his powers.

I enjoy The Obsolete Man as well, even though there is a lot of anti-atheist sentiment in it, which I realize is of its time, as Russian communism was quite destructively anti-religion. I feel like most people should be able to relate to Wordsworth, who just wants to live in a peaceful, compassionate, rational society. Interesting how Meredith also plays a bookworm in this one. I like how he outsmarted the chancellor and showed immense courage and even sympathy towards the same man who sentenced him to death, which, of course, becomes his undoing.

The Night of the Meek is on my shortlist as well. The Twilight Zone didn't feature as many unambiguously happy endings, so I'm happy they decided to use one. Carney's speech as Corwin has reduced me to tears in the past; he so obviously wants to ensure the happiness of all people, but can't find a solution and this hurts him so much he's reduced to altering his consciousness to placate himself. Then he gets a reward with infinite returns at the end. Some parts are actually pretty funny, like when Mr. Dundee pulls out the junk and cat. The elf was fun.

One episode I don't see mentioned much is A Piano in the House. I love the central conceit: a magical player piano whose songs reveal people's innermost feelings. I also like the ending: Fortune, the critic, is revealed to be an angry manchild beyond consolation, and Marge, whom he'd just humiliated moments ago, suggests that they all leave. At least his wife gets a happy ending.

I love Five Characters in Search of an Exit. Part of the reason is because it has an ending I feel most people won't be able to predict; the clues as to where the characters are are appropriately sparse. I also like it because of the interplay between the characters, most notably the desperate Army Major and the philosophical Clown. I've read that the orginal writer of the story ("The Depository"), Marvin Petal, wasn't paid much and that they really carved it up. But I think that Rod did a masterful job in the end. I liked how each character had a different hypothesis as to where they were (the Ballerina thinks they're in a spaceship; the Bagpiper thinks they're in a dreamland; the Hobo thinks they're in Limbo; the Army Major thinks they're in Hell; and, of course, the Clown entertains each one, but doesn't seem to care about the answer). A World of Difference and Person or Persons Unknown are other great ontological mysteries.

I've watched The Trouble with Templeton many times, another sentimental story with a happy ending. A playwright finds himself back in what he considers to be his prime, surrounded by ghosts, notably by his friend and ex-girlfriend. She tells eventually tells him to get lost. Then he finds out that the ghosts were performing a play for him, meant to convince him not to dwell in the past. He returns to the present with renewed confidence.

Mr. Denton on Doomsday is a recent favorite. An alcoholic former gunfighter with a tragic past gets a chance at redemption. I realize that the lack of gore despite people being shot was a good choice for the time, I wish they would've at least screamed out or something.

Number 12 Looks Just Like You is a perfect sci-fi episode, with an underlying, brutal horror component to it, namely that it takes place in a future that seems, at first, utopian, but is very dystopian, to the point where people are forced into getting a procedure that drastically alters one's appearance, along with them being forcibly given a constantly carefree, frivolous disposition.

Of the episodes featuring aliens, my favorites are The Invaders, To Serve Man, and Stopover in a Quiet Town.

A lot of people seem to dislike it, but my favorite time travel episode is Execution. I like how the murderer doesn't go unpunished.

One episode that scared the crap out of me as a kid was The Dummy; it used to make me feel sick whenever it came on. Now I relish it. The dialogue and drama is filled with tension, and I felt the ending was quite ambiguous, which was nice...a few episodes did this, e.g. Static, where the protagonist either loses him mind or is transported to a personal paradise is left unclear. Here, the dummy and the ventriloquist swap places...but whether this is a literal or figurative moment is never verified.

Another great horror episode, which was unsettling but never really horrified me, is Living Doll. She's a doll who probably couldn't be destroyed by a nuclear bomb, and will go to any length to kill you. The Howling Man is pretty creepy to me in the same way. Shadow Play is nervewracking. For Nightmare as a Child, you can probably guess how it'll end, but it also fills me with a pleasant anxiety.

I think The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross was nice; I didn't mind the protagonist's power source not being explained, and thought it had a great snap ending. Then again, the bad guys are usually the ones who get punished, so you might anticipate the ending. I don't think a lot of people liked it, but I did.

Last edited:
the episode in which the dept. store dummy has to return to the store still gives me the creeps whenever i see it. such a classic.

the episode in which the dept. store dummy has to return to the store still gives me the creeps whenever i see it. such a classic.

With Anne Francis , that was terrific episode and yes I, very creepy stuff. :)

Walking Distance with Gig Young burned out executive finds himself in the town were he grew up and it as he remembered it as child . How many of us wish we could back to a happier time in our lives Sentimental, in many ways but, wonderful so and the musical score by Bernard Herman. I love they episode and from what I understand m this one was favorite of Rod Serling :)

Deathship with Jack Krugman and Ross Martin and Fred Beir One the hot long episodes this one written by Richard Matheson is one the best this episodes . They land on a planet and ind a crashed ship not only identical o their ship but it count three dead bodies that are their doppelgängers.

The Odyssey of Flight 33 A jet airline from 1961 gets caught up in time warp and gets sent into the past briefly stopping in the Dinosaur era and and 1939 and running out of fuel are forced to try agains to get back to their time and , thats how it ends on a cliffhanger for the plane , crew and passengers.

Last edited:
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. based on a story by Ambrose Bierce Its Civl War Story about a man being executed by Union Troops on bridge over a river ,They attempt hang him and something seemingly goes wrong with the rope and escapes and spends the episode trying to get back ot his home and wife. It has rather unexpected twist ending . This episode in look and tone is unlike any previous episodes the Twilight Zone and the reason being it it's actually a short film that thEY purchased and incorporated into the series.

In the 1985 version of the Twilight Zone

Paladin of the Lost Hour Danny Kaye in one of his last performance plays a dying old man named Gaspar and his Possession is mysterious watch which contains a stoppered pocket watch which missing hour of time . This Hour must never be allowed to escape or everything will end forever. . He is looking for someone worthy to carry the watch with the Hour , a new Paladin . This is based on a story of the same name by Harlan Ellison .