Rock lobster, no, sorry, monster

Oh, and I have a three metre (ten foot) tall earth elemental type in my super hero WIP.

You might try the same method my hero and her sidekick used...um, you do have super villains discarding malfunctioning disintegrators, don't you? :D

Thanks so much, you guys. You're all brilliant. I wonder if DEO has the answer (though I'm not sure about a wrecking ball...).

Is it truly a monster, or have people assumed it is because of its appearance and strangeness? Has anyone tried talking to it (I'm sure, in a fantasy realm, rock monsters can converse in the language of the hero.)

And surely the consequences of our hero interacting positively with such a different entity -- what does a rock monster think about? what are its concerns? how different is its point of view -- would be more interesting than its unlikely demise and a pile of dust and rubble.

I think the origins of the rock monster make a difference as to how you need to destroy it.

Was it always there, magically created, a freak of science or alien invader?

I think the science / alien spin would require a real physical approach like he rock crusher, heat/freeze/shatter or other physical destruction.
Where as the magical approach would lend itself more to the moonlight, spell, splash potion, or some other fantasy like weapon.

I think as long as your consistent, the readers will follow along. If you "cross the streams" you may turn off some.

It's the magical guardian of an imprisoned demon (or part of one), and it's pleasantly mannered, highly intelligent, very big, very fast, and made of rock. I probably need to decide what kind. I'm quite happy with its world view and personality; I'm not (yet) 100% sure how my hero is going to kill it but I have lots of great ideas now. Thank you :)

Just wondering about this one...

Rock Monster.

So, is it an organic creature with a hide made of rock? Or is it a collection of animated rocks with no real "body" as such?

I would say that if it is an actual creature that lives and breathes then it will be a case of finding a weak spot - a gap in its armour, etc - and utilising that.

If its a collection of animated rocks controlled by a self-aware but ethereal essence then destroying the rocks won't really kill the thing will it? Just restrict its ability to attack and such. You would need to target the essence itself so maybe the "hero" doesn't need to destroy the rocks at all.

But, given your description of its demeanor, why not have the hero talk it down instead of having to kill it?