Rock lobster, no, sorry, monster

When I was flint knapping it was just find the fault planes in a particular lump. Or a crystalline lump -the particles aren'r essential. If you wanr to do it by freezing, you need the water to permeate the stone, which means cracks, or porous rock . granite or quartz aren't going to make it. Limestone, hydrochloric acid (stomach acid? Just vomit over it, and it'll fizz) and perchromic acid (rust dissolver) might go for sandstone, or concrete, but why would you be carrying any? Similarly, hydrofluoric, and what would you be carrying it in?

In my furthest search I can't find any concrete agreement on what type of rock rock-monsters are typically made of.

Oh wait concrete there you go bring in a truck of quick-setting concrete and drop it on him. Maybe drop him in a hole first and after dumping the concrete drive the truck over the hole.

Other wise I have this cousin who is a real chiseler...

Reactions: Hex
What Chrispy said. When I used to keep fish* - you would have to ensure any rocks you collected outside did not affect the pH of the water by putting vinegar or other chemicals on them. It gives an instant fizzy bubbling which is quite effective for your hero getting instant feedback that what he's chucking at the monster is working.

Also, when I used to practice healing, we were warned not to wash quartz crystals in salt water as the bonds of - and + would be broken by the salt molecules interfering with the charge and over time the crystal would crumble. I've not tried it out, and am a bit rubbish at science-y stuff so not sure how true this is (It also sounds a bit New-Agey if you ask me).

pH
1 pike in a six foot tank (water hardness didn't matter)
4 barbel & 6 chub in a six foot tank (water hardness v important)
6 perch in a 4 foot tank (they couldn't care less, and could probably live in wee if there was food there)

Blasting seems like the most likely way to do this. Controlled blasts that focus the force into the rock. Assuming he's the hardest of rock it would be high velocity explosives.
You might even make use of the paper thing and create an explosive net that wraps him like paper and delivers a blast focused toward him. It might take more than one, depending on the rock-monster's recovery rate. maybe the paper-net blast to break him up a bit and then a bazooka (rocket launcher) to finish him.

If you just want to slow him down you might find something that will turn the ground around him into quicksand.

If the monster is "as thick as a brick", he might be induced to destroy himself.

Scenario 1: Your hero jumps onto the monster's head then rolls to one side as the monster aims a fist at him. The monster hammers a chunk off his head. Your hero lands on the monster's shoulder and the monster crashes against a boulder in an attempt to dislodge him. Instead of dislodging the hero, the monster knocks his own arm awry.

Scenario 2: Your hero stands on a cliff edge and goes "nah, nah, nah" at the monster. The monster launches himself at the hero, who jumps to one side at the last moment. The monster crashes over the cliff.

If the monster can't move from the spot, then Scenario 2 in my previous post won't work, but perhaps the monster could be lured into over reaching, so that he topples over. Once he has fallen, then he might be too heavy to regain his feet.

As an afterthought, could your hero trigger an avalanche, which buries the monster?

Perhaps the hero notices a fault line in the creature, something you would only see up close. With something to wedge into the fault and a heroic effort, maybe he could crack the monster with an epic death scene?

You could look at it from a completely different angle. How about he blows a high-pitched whistle that infuriates the monster so much that it bashes in its own head to stop having to hear it?

Or how about he uses a sandblaster to blind it, thus eliminating the threat? (again it you want it dead it could bash its own head in in in it's impotent rage)

A Whistle that sounds like a gale force North wind hissing through a glacial valley, with soft undertones of North-Eastern cold fronts and blow-back through rock chimneys.

Well, so far, it's beating him up pretty seriously...

Am I the only one imagining Hex writing pages and pages of her poor MC getting beaten up by this thing, with him finally breaking the fourth wall and imploring her to find a way to beat it? 'Come on, give me something! You're a writer, use your damn imagination!'

If the rock monster can't move, this might not help - but if the piece is on the lighter side you could lure him into a paper factory, have the MC trigger an avalanche of giant rolls of paper (think ewoks using logs in Return of the Jedi) to topple the beast, then quip that, 'Paper really does beat rock.'

If I recall correctly.... Despite the combined expertise of the crew of the NSEA Protector and the Thermians from the Klaatu Nebula, the rock monster remained, essentially, unharmed (although it seemed to be shedding dust even as it assembled itself out of what looked like sandstone boulders).

Of course if it was a seaside rock monster then the MC could lick it to death.

Or set it on fire and caramelise it into a puddle of molten sugar. Cue MC to turn to camera and say 'Well, he met a sticky end.' or 'A pity, he was actually quite a sweet guy.'

Some great ideas everyone! Hex, not sure the tone of the story, but with my thought about weakening the connective tissues between the rocks (assuming the creature is made up of separate rocks)...if the material holding the rocks together is ground rock dust bound by secreted mucus (I know, I know, why would a rock need mucus? But we are talking about a mobile rock-creature, so why not mucus?:))...what if your MC was carrying a prescription-level congestion-relief nasal spray? He could squeeze the whole bottle into one of Rocky's major joints...it could dissolve the mucus, thus weakening the joint, and the affected area could give out, thus disabling the creature--making it immobile. (I have had a lumbar disc rupture, and believe me, immobility is the only option...well, you do writhe in agonizing pain too, but basically, you're immobile.:)).

Once the creature is incapacitated, your hero can fracture/explode/etc the creature at his leisure. This idea might work best if there is humor in your story, though. I hope you'll let us know your final solution to the problem! :) CC

ps--okay, here's my last thought! :) I guess what I'm saying is that if you can damage one major joint in the creature's body, you can eliminate it as a threat. This way, he wouldn't have to completely destroy the creature...he can walk away, and the creature can even recover (as my back sort of did).

Last edited:
Hi,

Can this beasty move or not? Look if it can move, lure it into a pit and cover it up with solid concrete. It lives or it dies, I don't know and it doesn't matter. But the point is it doesn't ever bother anyone again. Almost nothing can unbury itself. Not even from soft sand. And if it can't move, bulldoze it, cover it with earth and the same applies.

Cheers, Greg.