DISCUSSION -- October 2014 75 Word Challenge

Oh my, lots more people to thank for the lists and mentions *does happy dance*: Glen, Juliana, johhnyjet, Phyrebrat and TDZ. Thank you all very much :D

Meanwhile, I've just been looking back and realise that I voted for jastuis in this challenge... and jastius voted for my story in the 100 word one. I'm sure this happens a lot and possibly no-one cares but, what with me being new an' all (and these being the only two I've done so far), I just wanted to say that it wasn't one of those fiendish Eurovision voting tactics on my part! In hindsight, I'm actually glad I didn't realise earlier, 'cos I might have got myself into all sorts of dilemmas before I pushed the button :).

Meanwhile, I've just been looking back and realise that I voted for jastuis in this challenge... and jastius voted for my story in the 100 word one. I'm sure this happens a lot and possibly no-one cares but, what with me being new an' all (and these being the only two I've done so far), I just wanted to say that it wasn't one of those fiendish Eurovision voting tactics on my part!

I call Shenanigans! ('SHENANIGANS!') and...er....Witch!

Burn them! Both of them!

:D

pH

PS oooooh, two more mentions, thanks TDZ and HB - esp to be on the top three with Hex and TJ!

Another difficult month -- and no grumbles about theme and genre for a change, which is a tribute to Teresa's choices! As a result my shortlist is a tad longer than usual:

Bowler1 -- Vampire Nights
Darkchrome -- Moko Jumbie
HareBrain -- Monster
Hex -- The Babyaan
mosaix -- You Can Look Now...
Mr Orange -- Things that go BUMP in the night
Phyrebrat -- Good Housekeeping
Teresa -- Though It Have No Tongue
TDZ -- Night Terrors

I had a hard job choosing between all these and had to whittle them down one by one, and in the end had to toss a coin between Darkchrome for the sense of atmosphere and fear-fear, and Phyrebrat for his usual gorgeous use of words and imagery. And Darkchrome won it. (And gets extra points for teaching me new words and a new kind of monster!) And a special mention for Victoria who gets this month's prize for best title with Holowe'en.

And well, knock me down with a ghoulie. As I've mentioned before, I don't look at the voting and the shortlistings etc until I'm ready to vote, and I hadn't realised my daft piece had amused so many people -- this has been my best month for mentions and votes in the 75s for the past year. So, many ghostly moaning thanks for the mentions/shortlistings Bowler, telford, martin, Talysia, Parson, Glen, Mr Orange, farntfar, Chris p, Phyrebrat and Boneman, and ghoulishly undead mega-bumping thanks for the votes, Hex (glad you loved the title!), HB, DEO and Big J!

I've finally had a chance to read through all of this month's entries! Hooray! However, reading them all at once did make voting super hard...there are just so many wonderful stories.

However, after some fairly serious head-scratching, here's my shortlist:

Ashleyne B Watts- your story was just so brilliantly creepy!

Teresa Edgerton- so simply done, but seriously chilling.

Quellist- lovely description, and a grin at the end. Nice!

But my vote went to:

Juliana- It really stood out in my mind from its first reading. Awesome job!

Also, (terribly) belated thanks for your reviews Victoria Silverwolf and Starbeast!! The reviews are such a lovely part of the challenge ^_^. And thank you so much for the mention Cat's Cradle!

I got a VOTE from the Boneman??!!!! Parson smiles broadly, being far too much a Reverend to do a -- ahem -- "happy dance."

Furrows brow, now what to make about a growing skill with the dark side? Sounds ominous. :confused:;):)

I don't think I've ever had as long a long list as this month, which means that a lot of stories almost made it into the following list.

Honourable Mentions:
  • Monster by HareBrain
  • Though It Have No Tongue by Teresa Edgerton
  • Good Housekeeping by Phyrebrat
  • Vampire Nights by Bowler1
Runners Up:
  • The Babayan by Hex
  • Moko Jumbie by Darkchrome
  • Safe by A.Fare Wells
Winner:
  • Iracund Cthulhu Wrought Up by Starbeast

(In the above, each category is ordered by time of posting.)

Thank you Ursa, Void, TJ, johnnyjet, Phyrebrat, ratsy (and anyone I might have missed) for the mentions and listings.

_____

And now for my long list, short list, and **vote**:

Bowler1
mosaix
Big J
Culhwch
The Judge
Juliana
ratsy
(I enjoyed the poem and the not-so-hidden message)
Hex
Phyrebrat

and my vote went to **Darkchrome**

Thanks Teresa. I'm very happy to have the Goblin Princess shortlist my little poem!

I wrote it pretty fast and just wanted to throw another level of something in it...hence the 'secret' message. :)

Hearty congratulations to Hex, after a neck-and-neck race all the way to the finish line.

Now that the deserving winner has been determined, I suppose it's OK to discuss our own stories (if anybody is interested.) As Glen so insightfully noted, this was my small tribute to Ray Bradbury (hence the name of the protagonist) and his frequent theme of those who would limit the "dangerous" power of the imagination. I am grateful for the mentions, and particularly pleased to see a couple of folks show approval of the title, about which I had some doubts.

I'd love to hear from others how their works came into being.

Back