DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2023 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Whilst we’re posting links etc, and before this thread kicks off for Oct challenge discussions… can I bring any new members’ attention (and oldies, alike) to the Sekrit Santa Challenge 20.

We’re still open for an expression of interest

Thread here

If you're like me and scratching your head at what exactly would make horror cosmic, @Phyrebrat shared this in last month's discussion thread: https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-fiction/what-is-cosmic-horror-in-fiction

More Lovecraft (without the xenophobia), less space.

Though you could do Lovecraft in space, I guess?
It could where your cosmic horror lurks, for instance Yog-Sothoth and various Outer Gods existed beyond. The enormity of space is enough horror in itself :)

Interesting theme, and while not exactly the same, makes me think of the Hounds of Tindalos. Not a direct creation by Lovecraft but incorporated into the mythos by August Derleth. The Hounds can materialise exist within angles of time, breaking into our reality through sharp corners.

You've got to love the creations of those writers of the Weird Tales age.

Last edited:
Don’t feel too restricted by the influence of Lovecraft btw. I’m not a huge fan of his work but I do like cosmic horror. The underlying tenet is existential horror (in which man is of No importance). I would argue that even ACC’s Rendezvous with Rama has a cosmic horror element to it. Stephen King’s It is cosmic horror as well as other influences.

And the Hounds of Ten Dollars are definitely cosmic horror ;) they’re extra-dimensional and tbh the hounds were why I chose the fragments/fractures/fractions theme.

The angles! Nooo! The angles !!

Don’t feel too restricted by the influence of Lovecraft btw. I’m not a huge fan of his work but I do like cosmic horror. The underlying tenet is existential horror (in which man is of No importance). I would argue that even ACC’s Rendezvous with Rama has a cosmic horror element to it. Stephen King’s It is cosmic horror as well as other influences.

And the Hounds of Ten Dollars are definitely cosmic horror ;) they’re extra-dimensional and tbh the hounds were why I chose the fragments/fractures/fractions theme.

The angles! Nooo! The angles !!
Good call on Rendezvous with Rama. I love the original book because it provides no answers, pity the sequels weren't as good.

Fun to get my cosmic horror on his month.

As always, did my final edit after posting... gotta try finishing my story before posting, must be enjoyable. Good luck all, and good first entry, Victoria, CC

This might be a bridge too far for me. We'll see.

What's the fragment, fracture and fractions part mean?

What's the fragment, fracture and fractions part mean?

The story posting thread has the theme and genre reversed... I always look there first and was a bit confused for a few moments. It shows:

Theme:

COSMIC HORROR

Genre:

Fragment, fracture, and/or fractions

If you reverse those, you have the Challenge. Not sure if that is what your post was asking, but just a thought.

Back