DISCUSSION -- October 2014 75 Word Challenge

Thanks for the listing, Remedy :)

The standard of stories is extremely high this month, so I’ve been extremely picky with my shortlist.

Knit one, Purl One by Juliana

Holo’ween by Victoria Silverwolf

Good Housekeeping by Phyrebrat

My vote goes to Though It Have No Tongue by Teresa Edgerton

shortlist:
Remedy
Farntfar
holland
hex
bowler1
boneman
the judge

vote goes to hex for a tale that kept me in the story from start to finish

Thank you for the vote, Ashleyne!

____

I'm going to take this opportunity (although I'll probably do it again on the 28th) to remind people that the deadline for voting is always at 1 minute to midnight GMT on the 28th day of the month, which could cause some confusion this week when Europe and the UK are no longer on BST, while we in the US don't switch over from Daylight Savings Time until November 2nd.

Just noticed that I've got a vote! Thank you very much, Flyerman11 - I'd been thinking I wasn't going to get anything this month. You've made my day.:)

Thanks for the vote CC! I was planning on really trying to write something that was truly scary, but just ended up going with the flow with an unruly poem..

A good few punchlines this month - or 'Trollburgers' as DEO put it ;) - my favourite of the funnies was Quellist for giving the little shuffling kid so much character, and also Starbeast for the orchestraic cacophony of spooky words

I enjoyed the mythical beast creations - such as Parson's Zeno and Hex's The Babayan

TheDustyZebra on my list again, i love the 'shuffle, bump, skitter... silence.' lines, very atmospheric!

Farntfar conjured up a lovely halloween poem very much in the 'spirit' of things.

VictoriaSilverwolf you are clearly an enigma, your story is very otherworldly, so one of my faves.

My personal winner was Hex with 'The Babayan' though, it just struck a shivering chord and reminds me of tales I was told by an exotic grandmother as a child.

First of all my thanks to those who've HM'd or shortlisted me, and for some great remarks: Cats, Talysia, A Fare Wells, Remedy, Mr Orange and Winterlight.

All the entries this month have been magnificent, but by being ruthless I've cut my shortlist down to
Victoria (Holowe'en)
Telford (House huntin )
A. Fare Wells (Safe)
Phyrebrat (Good housekeeping)
mosaix (You can look now)
Culhwch (The long legged man)
Parson (A rose by another name)
Robert Mackay (Strange attraction)*
Ashleyne B. Watts (Mother Lake)*
Alchemist (Unwanted Visitors)*
DEO (Do you want flies with that)*
Perpetual man (Ripley's believe it or not)*
The Judge (Room with a woo)*
TDZ (night terrors)*
Juliana (Knit one purl one)**
Boneman (fair enough)**

Boneman. You made me laugh out loud and upset the cats, but I had to give my vote to Juliana for the taste of ectoplasm.

Well done everyone.

Thank you for the vote, Farntfar! :)

My vote went to Hex. Alchemist and Darkchrome were very, very close and next in line.

The rest of my heavily edited shortlist (original shortlist was ridiculously long!!) is: Farntfar, Chrispenycate, Starbeast, Glen, Bowler and DEO.

Well done to everyone, though. :)

Wow. Thanks, WinterLight and Juliana! What a great end to a work day full of confusion and cross-eyed screen-staring :)

First off I read the stories, and saw that not high above mine was a much better Poem titled All Hallows Eve...now I wish I'd read the entries prior to posting...

Anywhooooo, I cast my vote for Culhwch's tale of fright, as it stuck with me and resonated the most. Close second were Teresa's and Quellist's great stories.

Thank you Remedy, Mr Orange and Juliana for mentions - I struggled with bumps in the night. I might seem big and brave, but in reality I'm a big baby, which is why I go armed. If you can't out run it (always a good first option (becoming more of a problem the older I get)), shoot it.

Anyway much appreciated. There were some real funky little stories, so I'm happy with mentions in the 75 this month. A SPIDER - ZZZaaaapppp - I hate spiders.

I enjoyed your poem very much too, Ratsy.
The problem I had while reading it was to realise how poorly I had positioned my apostrophe. :)

Thank you winterlight and ratsy, well, joint second with Theresa - thank you very much: )

Back