April's Amazing Adventures and Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm enjoying them; if the Op was on the other side he'd be Parker :)

It also makes me want to read up on the law/history around real US private detectives

Yeah the fact the OP dont care if he has to shoot or catch criminals gives him a dark edge later PIs lack. He is a like Parker a pro just on the other side of the law.

Yeah the realist feel of the stories,OP has made me look out for detective,true crime books of those days The historical facts of those days are more intresting than hollywood type fiction.

Finished Natural History by Justina Robson a few days ago and now reading the non-fiction, speculation The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil.

Sorry, guys. Gollum usually does the honours but he's AWOL at the moment. I'll sticky it for you, though.
Indeed...sorry about that folks. I have been absent for the past month but happy to report I'm back in the game....:)

Finished Natural History by Justina Robson a few days ago and now reading the non-fiction, speculation The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil.

What did you think of Natural History Jojajihisc? I've read and enjoyed her Quantum Gravity books but none of her others.

Indeed...sorry about that folks. I have been absent for the past month but happy to report I'm back in the game....:)

You absence has been noted!

Finished reading Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, by PKD. I thought it was okay but far from being among my favorite PKD novels.

Taken a slight detour in my SF short storyathon and dipped into The Tombs of Atuan - Ursula. K. Le Guin. I still can't believe how well she writes.

Another Ramsey Campbell novel, Incarnate, which had an interesting premise but suffered from over-padding, dull prose and a too-tidy conclusion. Also read The House Of Doors by Brian Lumley which had a few moments when I was taken with Lumley's raw imagination, but which did itself in with an unoriginal plot, shallow characterisation and lumpy writing. Then I delved further into trash horror with Spawn by Shaun Hutson, which was completely derivative and pretty senseless, but written with a primitive zest that is oddly endearing.

I started China Mieville's Perdido Street Station over the weekend. I'm about 140 pages in and so far I'm not sure whether or not I like the book. There are pages just describing stuff and nothing really happens. I tend to get bored with that. But he does have a way with words so I'm hanging in there.

I’m working my way through The Illearth War by Stephen Donaldson. Parts of this I love, mainly the parts that follow Thomas Covenant, the others are thick with over-description. Covenant is an intriguing character, mainly because I do not like him on the whole and considering he is the protagonist, it's a brave portrayal of someone all too human.

Now reading Blood of the Fold, book 3 in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

I've enjoyed the series so far (although realise how different it is really to the tv series) but I do find the repeated references to gang rape a bit off putting.

So fingers cross for the women of the midlands this time

This Is the Way the World Ends by James Morrow

A writer who impressed me in Alternate Histories anthology by Ian Whates.

Morrow has a fun tone writing this story and i dont even know what is gonna happen.

What did you think of Natural History Jojajihisc? I've read and enjoyed her Quantum Gravity books but none of her others.

It kept my attention because I like the evolutionary ideas and the technology but the plot was difficult to follow and there is no main character you learn much about, which isn't always necessary but I would have liked it had it been the case. Good enough that I'll still try more of her stuff though.

So far the only PKD book Ive enjoyed or even understood fully!

Have you read The Man in the High Castle also by PKD?, it was fascinating alternative ending for WWII... IMHO it's also easy to grasp, also try reading
The Game-Players of Titan
characters and plots are simple and the story itself is short but as expected of PKD it still is a good read.

Thanks for that J, I have greatly enjoyed her Quantum Gravity books - I love the mix of SF and fantasy - though I've yet to read the last couple of books (sitting log jammed in my TBR pile at the moment). However her plots in those do get kind of complex so I'm not surprised at your comment on that. I am a little surprised she doesn't get more attention in the Chrons though.

Finished BOOKS AND BATTLES by Irene and Allen Cleaton last night. Never heard of the Cleatons before and as far as I know this is their only book but their account of American Literature in the twenties, the decade of revolt by the younger generation led by F. Scott Fitzgerald zeroing in on novels and stories offering "shocking situations, unconventional language, and iconoclasm" indicates they had a ringside seat. Usually clear sighted and open minded they seemed to slip uncomfortably --- at least for me ---when it came to what they called Dark Art. In the chapter titled "The Vogue For Vogues" they said "The Negro Renaissance...attracted an enormous amount of attention in the first half of the 'twenties" because "the Young Intellectuals were demonstrating their lack of race prejudice by vocifeous praise of the art of the down-trodden black brother." Even though this book came out in 1937 I'm still uncertain how to view this. Neither good nor bad, just the way thinking percolated back then? Sub-conscious or subdued-conscious acceptance of white superiority? Anyway, they go on to say "But although they wrote prolifically and some of them wrote skillfully, the worth of their literature may be questioned now the fad has died...Few of the Negro writers and poets resisted the temptation to state the case of their race while the whites were welcoming their work so kindly." Gee, how nice of us White folk.

Racism or not, the Cleatons write well on a subject with which they have remarkable insight. Recommended with only one reservation: watch your step. Some nuggets are moss covered pyrites.

Finished both of the remaining books in my Glen Cook Dread Empire omnibus (October's Baby and All Darkness Met) - I'm glad I stuck with this, after what I thought was a so-so first book. I liked the way each subsequent volume reveals an extra layer of context and manipulation surrounding the previous events.

Now to read the last couple of stories in The Continental Op collection.

I started China Mieville's Perdido Street Station over the weekend. I'm about 140 pages in and so far I'm not sure whether or not I like the book. There are pages just describing stuff and nothing really happens. I tend to get bored with that. But he does have a way with words so I'm hanging in there.

Turns out I'd over-estimated the page number when I wrote this comment. :eek:

I'm now finishing chapter 9 and I'm loving the book so far. Which makes me happy because I really did want to like his books. Even though it's a hefty book, I'm toting it around in my handbag so that I can snatch a few spare minutes to read whenever I can.

Have you read The Man in the High Castle also by PKD?, it was fascinating alternative ending for WWII... IMHO it's also easy to grasp, also try reading
The Game-Players of Titan
characters and plots are simple and the story itself is short but as expected of PKD it still is a good read.

No not read those two, our library doesnt stock them and Im not gonna buy a book I might not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back