April's Amazing Adventures and Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
Well I thought it was high time someone started a reading thread for April....
I'll kick off with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, a first read for me!

Well I thought it was high time someone started a reading thread for April....
I'll kick off with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, a first read for me!

Probably a bit dated now, but still one of his best IMHO. (see if we agree on this one AE :D)

Thanks AE35Unit. I was trying to think up a title for April this weekend, then thought that perhaps only the mods are allowed to start up a reading thread.
I'm on Gary Wassner's second book in the Gem Quest series, The Awakening. I'm not sure about it. Part of it I really like and other parts seem stilted and contrived. I'm still reading it and have 2 more to go, so I guess that's a good sign.

Normally the monthly reading thread is started by a mod and should not be started by us normal plebs :) but as it doesn't seem to have happened this month I don't think anyone will be too upset by someone else doing it.

Indeed, now we just need a mod to make it sticky.

I've begun a short story collection by Philip K Dick called "We can remember it for your wholesale". Apparently it's the fifth and final volume in a chronologically ordered series containing all his published short stories. I thought I'd start with his later stories as I assumed they would be better but now I'm not sure if that was a good plan...

Sorry, guys. Gollum usually does the honours but he's AWOL at the moment. I'll sticky it for you, though.

Still struggling through Lankhmar myself. I've enjoyed Swords in the mist but the last book is a tad sluggish as far as pacing goes. I enjoy the heroes and I enjoy the writing style...but the whole omnibus may have been a tad too great a challenge for my first meeting with them.

Started on Alfred Bester's The Demolished man to disengage myself from Fritz Lieber's wordy style. Quite a good novel so far (about half way through), even if my ebook is a tad wonky at places. Great ideas and great narration make for a great read I'd say.

Finished the first of Glen Cook's Dread Empire novels A Shadow of All Night Falling while I wasn't that impressed by it I have decided to give the second one a go: October's Baby

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear By Patrick Rothfuss. Boom! That was great and writing some notes and theories about all of it in my notebook.

Today started to (re)-re-read A Game of Thrones (thumbing through) in time for HBO's attempt at one of the greatest stories and worlds ever.

Tomorrow I will go get The Black Company (novel) by Glen Cook and start on that. This is a good idea right? Is it brutal? I feel like reading something brutal and dark? I miss Bakker's Prince of Nothing in this.

Taking a break from Lovecraft, although I'll be back to start reading some of the many volumes of letters and correspondences he had between like-minded authors of his day such as Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith etc. I'm under the impression that his fiction really tells only half the story, and when one starts delving into his many letters (apparently there are over 10,000, many of them already published in numerous volumes)a whole new understanding of the man comes to the forefront.

In the meantime, I'm alternating between a collection of short stories by Algernon Blackwood called "Tales of Terror and the Unknown" and another collection of shorts by C.L. Moore called "Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams". The former has a couple of his most famous pieces, i.e. "The Willows" and "The Wendigo", and having just finished "The Willows" my mind is further convinced that A. Blackwood is one of the finest conjurers of the weird of his time. One of his favorite themes is the exploration of nature and the elemental forces that are bound by it and how these forces interact, or should I say "run in" to the puny, inconsequential species of mankind. This idea was, of course a prime influence on Lovecraft maybe a decade later or so. His stories are all about atmosphere, and his prose is just descriptive enough to let the mind build it's own tableau of the events and surroundings.

I've only read one story by Moore so far, one of her Jirel of Joiry pieces and, what started as seemingly young-adult-ish standard sword and sorcery fare quickly elevated itself to something quite dark and definitely weird. Very much fantasy, but VERY well written and VERY odd at times...I'm looking forward to more. The edition I'm reading collects all her Jirel stories and all her Northwest Smith stories.

Oh, and briefly, I'm also listening to an audio book on my commute to work..."The Passage" by Justin Cronin...loving it...apocalypse/post apocalypse/bio crisis/ripping good story!!!. Hear they are planning a movie with Ridley Scott signed on. This is only the first part of a projected trilogy and the book is doorstop level in length...but it goes by super quick...excellent stuff!

best
Michael

Tomorrow I will go get The Black Company (novel) by Glen Cook and start on that. This is a good idea right? Is it brutal? I feel like reading something brutal and dark? I miss Bakker's Prince of Nothing in this.

It's brilliant very gritty, very dark and somehow more real than most fantasy. IMHO Cook is the most underrated fantasy writer out there at the moment.

Probably a bit dated now, but still one of his best IMHO. (see if we agree on this one AE :D)

I'd agree, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one of the books that really cemented my love of SF and hard SF in particular. Then again I also enjoyed Galactic Pot Healer so... ;)

I've actually given up on a book, something that I have not done in years. But Antagonist was well named, it's simply Antagonistic to the reader, nearly fifty pages of conversation at the start, repeating the same points over and over again.

It's a terrible shame, as I loved Dickson's work, I'm pretty sure that he is spinning in his grave at someone working from his notes like this. Even if it is a good friend and his long term assistant. Just because you know the material inside out, does not a writer make.

Anyhoo, off the old soapbox,

I'm now reading Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb

Finished Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss, another very good book although after finishing it I was a bit disappointed that not an awful lot seemed to have happened for such a big book.

On the flight back from Prague I re-read the original I am Legend by Matheson - a favourite of mine, and am now reading Galactic North by Reynolds (great as usual).

I've just finished Neal Asher's the Voyage of the Sable Keech. Not as good as the Skinner, but still a great read. Now on to Orbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back