April's Amazing Adventures and Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club (loved it; simple, poetic and beautiful) and now I'm reading Eco's The Name of the Rose. It's excellent. After the first page I thought I'd find it boring but then it got all detectivey and now I'm hooked.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll (with illustrations by Peake and forewords by Will Self and Zadie Smith)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll (with illustrations by Peake and forewords by Will Self and Zadie Smith)
Somehow I read that as Will Smith. I was thinkin' that guy's got his finger in a loooot of pies these days.

I really like Fritz's Lankhmar series some are better than others but for me overall they were fun, when I first picked up Terry Pratchett's the Colour of Magic all those years ago what got me right away was the reference to Ffahard & the Gray Mouser, about the couple of unsavory rogues walking up the road one a hulking barbarian and the other a small man dressed in Grey, or words to that effect.

Unseen Academicals by Sir Terry

sad fact though is that outside of "The Last Hero" its the last main Discworld book I've got to read. Sooo after that its no more (well aside from all the science, backup and younger readers books of course). At least till he writes another (I recall another Vims story in the works though I'd prefer a chance to see the witches in action and get back to some magical roots rather than all the advance of civilization ;))

Finished Storm from the Shadows by David Weber and was a little disappointed. The story and character building was as good as ever but it had a lot of info dumping at a level of detail that was not really required, particularly on the political front where there was a lot of repetition. The same points were made and remade time and again. Also he had a tendency to put some of these info-dumps slap bang in the middle of some of the action scenes.

Moving on to John Scalzi's The Ghost Brigades.

Reading Beer by Charles Bamforth. Sorry, it's not an SFF story about beer drinking aliens (although I do remember such a story), it's just a book about beer.

Reading Beer by Charles Bamforth. Sorry, it's not an SFF story about beer drinking aliens (although I do remember such a story), it's just a book about beer.

Anything about beer is good :D

Gave up on The Bourne Identity, just too much chasing and getting away in the nick of time that became unrealistic. Started The Forge of God by Greg Bear and so far it's pretty good, the build up and discovery is cool.

Finished Ocober's Baby (Dread Empire #2) by Glen Cook and enjoyed it a lot more than the 1st volume.

Currently reading some Conitnental Op shorts by Dashiel Hammett before starting a new novel

Ah, A Very good book, I didn't enjoy it as much as The Old Man's War, but it has its parts.

I'm Starting Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves. It has a recomendation from Brent Weeks so I thought I would give it a try.

Hmm... yes, I'm not that far in yet but I think I would agree it is not looking to be as good as Old Man's War; it doesn't seem to have quite as much of his mischievous sense of humour in it. But I'm still very much enjoying it :)

Currently reading my fourth Alastair Reynolds book (and second novel): Chasm City. I'm afraid this one is going to be too long and it also didn't instantly grab me (or rather did, but then tried to lose me immediately after that, before catching me again) but it's far easier for me to get into than Revelation Space was and that one turned out okay (if long). Still early going yet, though.

Finished Ocober's Baby (Dread Empire #2) by Glen Cook and enjoyed it a lot more than the 1st volume.

Currently reading some Conitnental Op shorts by Dashiel Hammett before starting a new novel

What do you think of The OP ? His cold,amoral,rough style ? Remember he is the real detective that is based on detectives in Pinkerton like Hammett and how they worked in 1910s-1920s.

Im such a fan that i wrote a big essay just last week for class about The Continental OP and the bleak world view Hammett showed in the 30-40 stories.

How Sam Spade and Marlowe ruined the PI hero when they made him the romantic,fast talking,pretty boy :D

Hmm... yes, I'm not that far in yet but I think I would agree it is not looking to be as good as Old Man's War; it doesn't seem to have quite as much of his mischievous sense of humour in it. But I'm still very much enjoying it :)
Old Man's War had the humor, the new ideas, the great characters. But Ghost Brigade is just a normal science fiction novel to me, nothing special or anything that stands out above the rest.

Just finished Lightborn, the latest novel from Tricia Sullivan, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

What do you think of The OP ? His cold,amoral,rough style ? Remember he is the real detective that is based on detectives in Pinkerton like Hammett and how they worked in 1910s-1920s.

Im such a fan that i wrote a big essay just last week for class about The Continental OP and the bleak world view Hammett showed in the 30-40 stories.

How Sam Spade and Marlowe ruined the PI hero when they made him the romantic,fast talking,pretty boy :D

I'm enjoying them; if the Op was on the other side he'd be Parker :)

It also makes me want to read up on the law/history around real US private detectives

Currently reading my fourth Alastair Reynolds book (and second novel): Chasm City. I'm afraid this one is going to be too long and it also didn't instantly grab me (or rather did, but then tried to lose me immediately after that, before catching me again) but it's far easier for me to get into than Revelation Space was and that one turned out okay (if long). Still early going yet, though.

I think it is worth sticking with. As is typical with Reynolds, it is a very broad canvas and it takes a while to link everything together. But I think it is possibly my favourite of the Revelation Space books alongside the Prefect.

At Long Last, Summer begins! :) just finished reading, THE GAME-PLAYERS OF TITAN by PKD, it was short but nonetheless satisfying. Now on to THE CITY AND THE STARS by ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back