Your Worst Film

Lol attack of the killer tomatoes... I'd completely forgotten that movie, now im going to be hummming the theme song all day.

zorcarepublic said:
1) Sixth Day. OMG, any more anti-cloning propaganda and I'll rush out and bash the nearest religious fundie...:D

Sixth Day wasn't a bad movie. I mean I agree that there's lots of good ways cloning could be put to use, but if it was controlled by multinational corporations(which it most likely would be) I can see something like that happening, only this time Arny will be too busy winning elections to save us all. :(

Worst in terms of production, script, and acting at least. The *worst* film of all time - as in the most evil film of all time - is shared in equal place by the three films that make up Lord of the Rings trilogy. What a way to pay Tolkien back; turning LOTR into the very thing he hated - commercialized pop culture crap. Peter Jackson is a criminal.

Peter Jackson has probaby induced more people to pick up and read Tolkien's book than anybody else has. Even I tried to...and dropped out after the first book which I thought was too verbose, boring and cliched for my interest :)

Cliche? Cliche!? It's not smegging cliche for the simple reason that those cliches didn't exist before it's creation! The Lord of the Rings is the basis for all modern fantasy! Elves and goblins were still four inches tall before LOTR for smeg's sake! And don't smile whilst you're insulting something - it's not clever, it's just infuriating.

TheManInTheBowlerHat said:
Cliche? Cliche!? It's not smegging cliche for the simple reason that those cliches didn't exist before it's creation! The Lord of the Rings is the basis for all modern fantasy! Elves and goblins were still four inches tall before LOTR for smeg's sake! And don't smile whilst you're insulting something - it's not clever, it's just infuriating.
Err, wrong. Lord Dunsany's elves were already taller than humans.
But yes at the time it wasn't so cliché that it is now that any "fantasy author" is copying JRRT style. And I'm too on the "too verbose style" of LOTR.

I see where you're coming from but if ravenus, like me, read LotR in the 80s not the 60s when it came out, then it IS cliched - because there were loads of books I read before it, with elves & goblins etc
Just because it started something original doesn't stop it being a cliche when you view it after the fact.
The definition of originality is something you've never seen before - I had. The fact they were LotR clones doesn't matter.

As it happens, although I love the man's vision and scope. I too found the books hard to get through - the obsessive level of detail makes certain sections of the books drag as nothing seems to happen.
Just my tuppence worth

I read the Narnia series before I read the Hobbit and the LoTR when I was betweent he gaes of 7-9, so it wasn't cliched to me although some of the subtext in LoTR was lost on me at that age thankfully. (Legolas and Gimli...please..glad I missed that one).

That's true - I am sorry, Ravenus. Do forgive me. **composes himself** We're speaking at cross purposes I think - I was attempting to defend Tolkien's ability as a writer. LOTR was - when it was written - mould-breaking. Tolkien wasn't able to work of an already established genre, because to a degree he had to create one.

Hi all! :D

Hmm.. worst Sci Fi film would have to be Battlefield Earth Yikes!! :eek: :eek: Actually better make that worst film ever..

I'm not talking about the size of elves here, I care two hoots for that. I'm talking characters. Do Tolkien's characters strike me as well-rounded individuals with interesting shades to their personality? Do they interest me as individuals, no matter what race they belong to? A very big NO. They were to me just pieces of cardboard to carry along what I consider a not very gripping plotline.

In terms of production values,if you know what to expect then these films can be can be enjoyed,the films of Ed Wood,The Three Stooges etc,what does annoy me is when the film has the budget but doesnt deliver.
Films that come to mind are Daredevil,The Hulk,Amistad,Nixon.Star Wars2,The Doors etc.
Then there are the films that some critics rave about and against your better judgement,you take a chance and watch,only to find that afterwards you say to yourself,"what the hell was that film about?"
These are films like Mulholland Drive, Pres Rien and The Man who fell to earth.totally self indulgent film making.

Peter Jackson has probaby induced more people to pick up and read Tolkien's book than anybody else has. Even I tried to...and dropped out after the first book which I thought was too verbose, boring and cliched for my interest :)
I have to join the band wagon on this too... I found the books 'too verbose' also. I put the books down to never pick them back up again until after I watched the first movie. Then it took me a few weeks to read all three. I enjoyed the story, but they were quite long, at times boring and very verbose! The movies, in my opinion, was what encouraged me to continue and finish reading them.

Battlefield Earth
I agree with you too Gollum on this. A waste of my precious time. But still my all time dislike (the movie my husband keeps hidden so I can't throw it out) is The Army of Darkness. Another that some one named earlier in this thread and I totally agree with is Dumb and Dumber. YUCK!!

No hate...
I just couldn't stand his voice saying those stupid one liners. 'Give me some sugar baby' or 'that's what we call pillow talk'.
There's more, but it's been a few weeks since I've seen the movie. They actually showed it on TV. What is this world coming too?:eek: ;)

Too bad I missed it. I'm a great fan of Evil Dead (all 3 of them) and of Bruce Campbell (I was at first typing Brisco County).
As the all sentence say : "To each one, her bad tastes." ;)

Yup, that's man getting older for you but the Chin is still there. And roughly he's still quite well preserved. And I love teddy bears. :p

Now, for worst movies, the list is so long... As an example, any one directed Jan Kounen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0468007/), saw Blueberry on TV a few weeks ago.
Still fighting to understand :
1- the story
2- the relation with Gir (aka Moebius) comic of the same name.

This guy should be banned from any camera.

ravenus said:
I'm not talking about the size of elves here, I care two hoots for that. I'm talking characters. Do Tolkien's characters strike me as well-rounded individuals with interesting shades to their personality? Do they interest me as individuals, no matter what race they belong to? A very big NO. They were to me just pieces of cardboard to carry along what I consider a not very gripping plotline.

Yes...that is quite true...

It does however have nothing to do with my original point. It's disrespectful. Intially they even had trouble getting the book published because Tolkien was so anti-corporate. He hated the radio series, and I very much get the impression from reading his biography that he would have hated this. I may be wrong - we'll never know - but I'm pretty confident he wouldn't have liked it. There was good reason for his estate to oppose it's production. It doesn't matter what you think of the books, I would hate to think that in the future my writing - which is packed full of anti-religious sentiment - would be used as a religious parabale. It's exactly the same thing, Tolkien wasn't keen at all on the modern world, and now LOTR has become a symbol of popular culture.