R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke

This is sad news indeed. Lightyears ahead of his time and a true time-traveller in every sense. Rest in Peace.

I hope it's not a foolish thought. Perhaps the good people of the Chrons can observe this April as Arthur's month and those of us with the inclination can read at least one book of his. Let us raise a book as well as a glass.

Perhaps we could organise a specific day in April to raise a glass? Any suggestions anyone?

How about on the night the Arthur C Clarke Award is handed out? April 30.

and to think I had started reading a new Clarke book (Time Odissey trilogy) this monday :(

Coincidentally, but quite appropriately, I'm currently reading an anthology
of his short stories as I had decided to get better aquainted with his
work, not so long ago, and now he's dead.

I don't know what else to say, really.

What other good things have come from the minds of science fiction authors?

(Scientology and Dianetics don't count)

Pretty much everything Hubbard ever wrote didn't count. Worst book I ever read was his. I really mean the worst.

Effective to contrast that to Clarke, who so clearly foresaw just about everything about our modern world, including space tourism.

His contribution to sf, and to science and society generally, is beyond calculation.

I hope it's not a foolish thought. Perhaps the good people of the Chrons can observe this April as Arthur's month and those of us with the inclination can read at least one book of his. Let us raise a book as well as a glass.

I'll do it.

Yes, very sad, we have lost a great mind and visionary who was a source of great hope for the world. (Also seemed to be a very nice person.)

Ian

Re: R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke/controversy,not happy

This is a response I got from another site, it can,t be true surely!
http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/02clarke.htm

"Child right activists in Sri Lanka have expressed shock over science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke's confession in a newspaper interview of a life of paedophilia and called for his deportation just around the time Prince Charles was to knight him."

He was a great science fiction writer, but was a monstrous man. He can hardly be considered a hero. He should have spent most of his life in prison.
:(

There was a whiff of controversy back in the late 90's. I think he was being offered a knighthood at the time the accusation was made in your lovely British press and he refused to accept the knighthood until he the charges had been investigated and his name was cleared.

I find it hard to believe that a man who put his life into Sri Lanka and was constantly lauded by their government would be involved in such activities and be able to get away with it. I'm not the type to judge people because of a tabloid rag's attack on him. Now Gary Glitter, on the other hand.....