R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke

There was a whiff of controversy back in the late 90's. I think he was being offered a knighthood at the time the accusation was made in your lovely British press and he refused to accept the knighthood until he the charges had been investigated and his name was cleared.
anyone know if his name was actually cleared?

The truth is often hard to discover. However, it's also hard to see why Clarke would have been given his knighthood had the authorities believed that there was even a hint of truth in the allegations.

As for the rest of us:
  1. People are innocent until proved guilty;
  2. If the art is great, it is great whatever the character of the artist. (There are quite a few "Great Artists" in many fields who you wouldn't have wanted to meet in real life.)

There was a whiff of controversy back in the late 90's. I think he was being offered a knighthood at the time the accusation was made in your lovely British press and he refused to accept the knighthood until he the charges had been investigated and his name was cleared.

I find it hard to believe that a man who put his life into Sri Lanka and was constantly lauded by their government would be involved in such activities and be able to get away with it. I'm not the type to judge people because of a tabloid rag's attack on him. Now Gary Glitter, on the other hand.....

I cant speak of pedophilla activity. But I know he did enjoy the company of men, in an era when such activites were fround on. And did prefer them to be a good deal younger than himself - That is not to suggest underage activity, just he liked his partners on the younger side.

1. If the art is great, it is great whatever the character of the artist. (There are quite a few "Great Artists" in many fields who you wouldn't have wanted to meet in real life.)

Ain't this the truth.

I've thought of the correct words to send Arthur on his way, but alas I'm lost.

To me he was Science Fiction,the proper Grandaddy.

Rama will always remain

It is sad, yes. He will be missed. Yet, he lived a life many of us only dream of. I don't feel sorry for Arthur, I am happy for him that he lived his dream, and entertained so many of us while he was at it. Thank You A.C.

"Something's going to happen... something wonderful."

- A.C. Clarke

I don't think we'll ever know the truth. Arthur C. Clarke's honour delayed by sex claims - Times Online

If this allegation is false, it's sad that his name be blighted in such a way.

The Sri Lankan police repeatedly asked the Sunday Mirror for a copy of the tape they said they held which was supposed to contain proof of the allegations.

The rag didn't even have the courtesy to answer, let alone supply it.

I think that's fairly conclusive.

As to ACC's sexuality (as if it's anybody's business) - he was bisexual. He said so himself.

It seems highly unlikely that the awful story is true. Had it been true, had he really said anything like that, I'm sure a lot more would have been made of it by people on all sides. I like to think that a man of his intellect - who I miss even though I only knew him through his books - would understand the concepts of capacity to consent and power differentials in relationships.

RIP to a visionary hero.