R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke

Re: Arthur C. Clarke Dies at Age 90

I attempted to post the link but there seems to be restrictions on my account. Maybe someone else will find a good link to the whole article.

He will be missed

Just wanted to start a thread to say good-bye to this wonderful author.

Arthur C Clarke passed away 03/19/2008 in Sri Lanka.

You need 15 posts to post a link, Xelebes - it's part of the anti-spam precautions in place on the site.

There's a link to it here, along with some earlier reactions to the news.

Re: He will be missed

I'm afraid there's already a thread here, duplica, along with some earlier reactions to the news.

You need 15 posts to post a link, Xelebes - it's part of the anti-spam precautions in place on the site.

No problem. Some other sites I moderate are similar but use different filters that would have allowed me to post the link.

That's OK, no harm done.

Welcome to the Chrons, by the way....if you'd like to post a bit about yourself here,
Introductions Thread
, you may be assured of a warm welcome.:)

It was like having the wind knocked out of me when I first saw this. On a little reflection, however, what a marvelous life! Although the world is the worse for his passing, it is so much richer for his having been here. I’m trying to take more of a celebrate-his-life view, rather than mourning his loss. For this wonderful man, I prefer a wake to a funeral.

I can't say it better

I pray that his passing was peaceful

Well, at least his work's immortal, less stodgy than Asimov, less preachy than Heinlein. I can name a hundred writers who wish they could achieve a fraction of what Clarke did.

Still, he had a good innings, and three threads mourning his passing isn't bad at all.

Re: Arthur C Clarke has passed away!!!

Yes, I saw the news just as I was heading out for my evening shift. Very saddening to me, as Clarke was one of those who captured my imagination from an early age, and certainly one of the best (for me, at any rate) at making me feel, while reading words on a page, that I was really out there rather than sitting in my room in a town on a rather small planet. Clarke was unique, and has left a legacy of fascinating and thought-provoking work. I'm very sad that he's gone, but I feel very lucky that we had him as long as we did....

EDIT: Hadn't realized when I posted the above that we had FOUR threads on this, in different areas. Have now merged them into what seems the appropriate place: Clarke's own sub-forum....

EDIT: Thread now moved to SFF News for broader exposure (thanks, Brian!)

Last edited:
Rest In Peace Arthur C. Clarke! I was shocked when I read this. One of the best authors of the 20th century.

Unbelievable - and I just got the ebook of "The City and the Stars"

Sad news indeed - the master has passed.:(

Many a great person's legacy starts to fade as soon as they pass away but as an author (and thinker) we'll be blessed with Clarke's for a long long time to come.

R.I.P.

Just last night I bought two of his novels then I fired up chrons, saw his sub-forum active, decided to have a look...:( no matter how inevitable death is, its still shocking when it comes. He was a great man, one of the greatest SF/Science thinker/interllectuals of out time, he will be sorely missed.

Cheers, DeepThought

I agree with holding a wake rather than a funeral. Still, I'm sad that there'll be no more stories... Coincidentally I'm reading Tales from Planet Earth.

I heard this on the radio while driving around on errands this afternoon. My first response was, "Excuse me. What?" I thought I'd heard wrong.

So sad. :(

Clarke's were some of the first stories my father handed to me to read when I was very young.

It is strange death is inevitable, but somehow we think our heroes as timeless and indestructable, they dont get old, they should not become weak. Our heros are not meant to die...... but they do.

Thank you Arthur for a childhood full of your stories, now sir you have begun perhaps the greatest of all journeys....enjoy

It's deeply sad; I saw this and felt similiar to the way I did when Eric Morcambe died, I wondered why. I think it's because they represent a space in the imagination, a loss of a unique vision, and because of this the world is a little less.

But also - because of them the world is a lot more! We owe ACC so much. He is a man one would wish to emulate - not just for all he has done for us but by example - battling debilitating health problems and overcoming. Thanks Arthur - but you will be missed.

I hope it's not a foolish thought. Perhaps the good people of the Chrons can observe this April as Arthur's month and those of us with the inclination can read at least one book of his. Let us raise a book as well as a glass.