List of SFF Clichés

Prefx

Lord of the City-Within
I hope this hasn't been done before. How about we compile a list of science fiction/fantasy clichés commonly found in the science fiction/fantasy realm of literature/movies/games.

I'll start.

1. Little poor boy/girl lives with family member(s). Family member(s) killed and the little poor boy/girl seeks revenge.

2 Orphan grows up with different family and finds their real parents have some extrordinary gift which the've got too and they are the strongest weilder of it

Male and Female lead characters argue and fight, before falling madly in love, preferably after he saves her.

Note: Female character must be of an age or younger than her male counterpart.

Funny sidekick who gets into all sorts of amusing scrapes but somehow rescues heros in the end, in his own bumbling fasion.

The mysterious old witch / wizard apears, imparts some obsure snipet of earthshattering wisdom upon which our hero is destind to ponder at length, then disapears.

The hero, a scientist of some description, discovers an impendind disaster that will destroy the world, the solar system or Kalamazoo (your choice) and,despite overwhelming evidence and very dramatic music, not one scientist or politician will listen to him. Thus, with the aid of an attractive but ineffectual female lead (and possibly a cute kid for family appeal) he's forced to find the weak spot in the plot, foil it and save the world singlehanded.;)

"I have some last minute instructions to give before you embark on your quest. Information so dangerous, so secret, so important to the fate of the entire world, I shudder to think what would happen if you set out without knowing this one vital thing -- but gosh, look at the time! I'll tell you in the morning."

All hope is lost, but ... no; there's a million to one chance... we might just make it.

Oh and what a spot of luck. We did. This calls for a final joke from the sidekick or cute kid, while the hero and iniffectual female lead kiss.

Really old has-been knight with a bad temper and a face full of scars teams up with a young, voluptuous, beautiful, warrior maiden... who finds the bloke strangely attractive.

Kelpie said:
"I have some last minute instructions to give before you embark on your quest. Information so dangerous, so secret, so important to the fate of the entire world, I shudder to think what would happen if you set out without knowing this one vital thing -- but gosh, look at the time! I'll tell you in the morning."
That is just funny.:D

Paradox 99 said:
Really old has-been knight with a bad temper and a face full of scars teams up with a young, voluptuous, beautiful, warrior maiden... who finds the bloke strangely attractive.
I, uhm, uhh, don't see anything wrong with this one. Ok, yes! I speak as a has been :(

Strange, but sweet and highly principled, alien thing, that picks up english really quickly, and has some rather important moral message to impart to our hero. And just maybe, human kind can teach it a thing or two about feelings and love.

I'd like to come across a short, thin character that isn't too bright, the fantasy world is full of ones who are nimble and quick-witted.

The antagonist makes a speech before killing our hero, thus helping the hero save him/herself.