The Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Clichés

Discussion in 'General Writing Discussion' started by Incognito, Dec 17, 2003.

Incognito

Incognito going spare!

dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Very amusing!

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Knivesout no more

That was funny, and quite true. I almost feel tempted to sit and write a tale employing EVERY cliche but ppl might not get the irony...[​IMG]

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Knivesout no more

littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Yeah. But I think it would be interesting to write a story about an evil guy (or even an evil woman) who wants to take over the world just because he or she is bored. I think that opens up whole new worlds of possibility. And, yes, I think there would be big differences between those two "just because" situations.

Zero

Zero New Member

I think they should make a bad guy take over world for borebom and then have good guy change to bad and take over the world so then making the bad guy the good guy because he is trying to stop the good guy. :) SRY confusing.

Frankly

Frankly My dear, I DO give a damn

There is a story like that. Got it for Xmas. There's this evil guy who wants to take over the galaxy just because he wants to have fun. Also hes kinda bored cause its a utopia. I wont tell you what happens in case you read it, but some good guy has to go back in time to try and stop him. It's called Say hello to Jupiter. The author is Boris Bouquerel. I think its his first book cause I never heard of him before. But its a hell of a read.

Frankly

Frankly My dear, I DO give a damn

Hey, I had a great laugh reading those sites which are listing the all-time cliches. Ain't the web super? Thanks for those links, guys.

But I gotta say, reading all those funny cliches made me realize that this book I just read by Boris Bouquerel hasn't got a single one. Like sure ther's a kinda galactic empire and stuff, but it's really different, especially the plot. And the main caracters are so different. The hero's like nothing you've seen before, a starship singer, kinda naive but amazingly honest. The heroin is the strong one, incredibly smart (but she is beautiful, lol). The bad guy like I said is just bored, and you don't feel like hating him. The most unusual one for my money is the wise one, he's not a priest, not a wizard or anything. He's a sentient digital hermaphrodite with a cockney accent! I'm sorry i'm no good at reviews, but I sure know when I like something.

For sure, Bouquerel shows you how not to write cliches.

Gee I think I'm gonna read it again, even if it is a thick book.

littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Welcome to the board Frankly. :) Frankly, I suspected that someone already had used that storyline, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I've got an interesting story like that in mind, but it is only on a world level rather than taking in a whole galaxy. Been playing with it for a bit, don't know if I'll ever write it. But, since there are no new stories (and haven't been since about the ancient Greeks), I don't see any reason not to give it a shot.

SDNess

SDNess New Member

Heh, both of those are pretty funny.

Black Razor

Black Razor The Alpha Nerd

Diggin' in The Archives and found this interesting post, which I thought deserved further discussion. I found it to be very insightful and useful. I thought perhaps some other authors may as well.

BTW, here is a working link for the Science-Fiction list.
    The Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Cliches

Oh, and I am so glad I changed my mind about the long lost prince idea, (#34) :cool:

~BR

Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

Lol, reading this revived thread reminded me of the list of SF cliches in the SFF lounge. Still, the idea of writing a story using nothing but cliches is definitely an interesting one!

Sketti

Sketti Favorite Food of 4-yo's

I've tried. It's sooooo hard! X-D