Shalidar

Going back to the threat of killing off characters. I think it's excellent that no-one is safe. Mark, you've proved again and again that you are more than prepared to shock the reader (not just by killing characters) and so I think the unpredictability is very refreshing in your books. Not that you need any advice but something I'm now a victim to... (although obviously I'm nowhere near to being published) ... don't EVER play a game of pool where the power to kill off a character goes to the winner! I lost, and now my cousin can remove any one of my people at any point he chooses! D'oh!

Sparker said:
Going back to the threat of killing off characters. I think it's excellent that no-one is safe. Mark, you've proved again and again that you are more than prepared to shock the reader (not just by killing characters) and so I think the unpredictability is very refreshing in your books. Not that you need any advice but something I'm now a victim to... (although obviously I'm nowhere near to being published) ... don't EVER play a game of pool where the power to kill off a character goes to the winner! I lost, and now my cousin can remove any one of my people at any point he chooses! D'oh!

Ah, but I think the moral there is - never play a game of pool with high stakes unless you KNOW you're going to win. I suggest on that basis that you do not play me! I used to be an accomplished amateur snooker player (my best break was 123) so pool is an easy game with pockets that are the size of buckets.

I'm hoping that the next book will show you that my twists and turns are only just getting going. ;)

i havent been here for ages, mostly due to the beging of gchse work (grrrrrrrr) but i have just finsished imperail spy and i looking forward to the rest, of all the characters i really do like shalidar, its amazing how you can control people withput them knowing it (it really works!)

Even though i do really enjoy reading about the characters in Imperial Spy (particularly Femke..shes rawks!) i do spend most of the time wondering about Calvyn and the rest of the gang from the Darkweaver Legacy books...I'm affraid Mr Robson has made his characters far too endearing and easy to attach yourself to!

blinky said:
Even though i do really enjoy reading about the characters in Imperial Spy (particularly Femke..shes rawks!) i do spend most of the time wondering about Calvyn and the rest of the gang from the Darkweaver Legacy books...I'm affraid Mr Robson has made his characters far too endearing and easy to attach yourself to!

Then you'll be pleased that Calvyn will make a substantial appearance in the last book of the trilogy. :)

Another character from The Darkweaver Legacy will make an appearance in book 2 - Imperial Assassin, though it might not be one that you would expect.

brilliant :D Any plans in the pipeline to go back to the characters in the previous books or do you find yourself wanting to move away from that?

blinky said:
brilliant :D Any plans in the pipeline to go back to the characters in the previous books or do you find yourself wanting to move away from that?

To be honest I'd like to move away from Thrandor and Shandar for a bit. I don't want to get stale, and I'd like to think I'll return in a few years time and write some great fresh stories with those characters.

I'm very close to a deal now for another series set in an entirely new world. I hope to be able to announce news very soon on that front.

november is such a long time away...
Clavyn Plays a substantial part in the last book you say... have you already written it, Mark?

Red Phoenix said:
november is such a long time away...
Clavyn Plays a substantial part in the last book you say... have you already written it, Mark?

I've written about a third of it, Red. Calvyn is about to arrive, along with one of the Grand Magicians from the Academy in Terilla. It will be interesting to see how he gets on ... I haven't actually decided how he's going to solve the problems he will face in Shandrim yet. I have ideas, but I want to see how he reacts with the characters there before I make the final decision. (I'm not working blind. It's just that there's more than one way to pickle this particular fish.)

sorry to get way ahead of you but when do you reckon imperial traitor will be out mark?

(summer next year, hopefully?)

Most likely late summer next year, Red. I'm guessing August/September, but that is only a guess at this stage. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

don't worry, as long as it isn't a year after imperial assassin, i hate waiting.
especially for great things that i really want :)

Mark,
I would like to express my genuine appreciation for your character Shalidar. It is always a pleasure to read about a villian that knows his/her stuff. Most novels contain villans that are seemingly all-powerful and get through alive by sheer power, and are then struck down by a unforseen exeption, but you wrote Shalidar most admirably. He sticks to what he knows and what he is good at and he knows when retreat is in order. He is ruthless,cold, had a sadistic streak for Femke and a a great sense of humour in my oppinion. I totally agree with Coolhand, the part at the start of Imperial Spy when he kills Versande (was that who he killed?) and then complains about how difficult it is to move his bulk was a definate LOL :D moment for me!
I had the same basic thoughts about Shalidar's appearence as you, come to think about it...He fitted the tall, dark and handsome profile as soon as I read about him!
I was wondering...is there any chance of seeing into a bit of Femke's and Shalidar's past together when they knew each other at the palace? I really enjoy the moments of interraction between the two and would like to see the 'more innocent' moments of pranks and tricks that happened then...
Well good luck with writing Imperial Traitor - can't wait till I get my hands on it!:)

Mithridelle

Glad you like him, Mithridelle (love your name, by the way - where did you come across that one, or is it made up?).

I've no plans to show earlier interaction between Shalidar and Femke at present, though that might be revealed in a future book that I've got vague plans of writing ... Imperial Dilemma, maybe? Let's just say that you don't see it in Imperial Traitor, but that I've left an obvious open end in order to maybe re-visit Femke another day.

Shalidar has been great fun to work with during these three books. I hope I can create more villains that have elements of the enigmatic, yet diabolical, which grab the reader in such a positive way.

How could I not fall in love with the character that is Shalidar!?!
Thanks for the compliment! I actually came up with the name while trying to find an original username for IMVU chat that no-one had used before... and with a stroke of luck, I got Mithridelle drilled into my brain from out of nowhere...:)
I get really upset when I get close to the end of a series that I have come to love, and try to slow down in order to savour the story as much as possible...:( But the fact that there is a great possiblity of more books branching from the Imperial series lightens my heart considerably.
Good luck with the rest of Imperial Traitor!

Mithridelle

Back