Eddings Cliches

Lmao. Yes I've noticed that.

And also.. Belgarion has the habit of saying "That makes sense, i guess" and up to now (I'm on the King of the Murgos (the Malloreons)) I've seen Silk say it once.

Ghostwriter for Book Five of the Mallorean

Did anyone else get the feeling that the last installment didn't have the same style. I mean, the constant annoying sarcasm in every verbal exchange was enhanced but in book five I was actually jolted out of the story more than once when the point of view changed. In two instances, the author took himself out of the storyteller role and actually addressed the reader personally. I didn't write them down but in the midst of one character's churlish reply to another, "I" was told something directly by the author. It was as if the author wasn't confident enough to trust the reader to understand what his meaning was.

Also, there were several references to things that couldn't have been a part of this alternate universe.

In one exchange, 'Garion spoke Quixotically'. This is a reference to Don Quixote, hero of a romance by Miguel de Cervantes.

Also, "I gave at the office!" elicited a groan from 'One'.

It isn't quite a sentence, but does David's women not have the habbit that they're "stamping one foot in the ground" when they become angry?

At least they're not pulling on their braids or smoothing their skirts!! (Jordan - RIP - fans would probably envy us in this regard, although it doesn't help if you're a fan of both series!)

For me the overarching 'cliche' with Eddings (and you guys are going by a very broad interpretation of 'cliches' so this shouldn't be too out-of-topic :D) is just how much all of the characters, from the heroes to the lowliest supporting casts, think in the same way.

My last Eddings book was Althalus. I loved and still love the Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium and Tamuli series, but I'm sad to say that I don't have even the slightest inclination to read the Elder Gods. I picked it up in a local bookstore when it came out and read the excerpt behind the front cover (I think). It was a dialogue between two cityguards or some such. To my horror, the whole thing read like just the sort of dialog any two Eddings characters from any previous book would have, replete with exactly the same nuances of thoughts and inside jokes. That killed any interest I might've had. Immediately and with utter finality.

- Dreir -

phrase i hated most was "with an insolent strut that challenged every man in the room" - said of both Vella and Polgara... the first time it was ok-ish, but after the fourth... grrrrr

phrase i hated most was "with an insolent strut that challenged every man in the room" - said of both Vella and Polgara... the first time it was ok-ish, but after the fourth... grrrrr

Wow, QFT on that. I did a re-read of PtS recently and I found myself wondering whether the impression Eddings was supposed to be conveying was that of a firebrand or a stripper. There is, most assuredly, a difference.

"silvery tinkle of a laugh"... it seems every girl in the books laughs like a silvery tinkle.

And the description of Polgara's white lock gets a bit tedious "incandescent"...

I feel a bit mean now, but nevermind.

Without at least some of these cliches it wouldn't be eddings. However I'll admit that the dreamers was a little bit tedious. Obviously I'm understating but that proberly because eddings is my favourite author as of yet

Good drinking games: take a sip everytime someone "shrugs." At least one a page(not kidding), so you'll be good and drunk.

Good call

Even in his original works his style was already cliched because he keeps repeating the same narrative devices.

Everyone shrugging as they speak is only the most blatent example.

In one exchange, 'Garion spoke Quixotically'. This is a reference to Don Quixote, hero of a romance by Miguel de Cervantes.

Interesting point. There was a character in The Diamond Throne who carried a Lochaber axe, which jarred me a bit. Still, different things bother different people.

I think a couple of the original cliches don't work. A lot of fantasy involves a war, and a lot of rulers are stuck-up.

For me, the cliche is women who regard all men as irritating children. This seems to mark them out as mature.

All books have:
The wise and beautiful and powerful woman
The lovely but annoying girl
The sneak thief
The hero/boy
The big evil guy with underlings
The knight protector or fighting muscle.

Mix and match for your character.

Then there is the fact that all conversation is written in that witty tone. The scary wise powerful female is the one who never does anything to earn the fear, except getting told to 'let it go' or sometimes looking with a frown at someone. Then there is always talk about someone being 'evil' 'I know'.

anyway, I really couldn't go through with the dreamers. It's the same book, but you have to remember tons of other names for the people.

All books have:
The wise and beautiful and powerful woman
The lovely but annoying girl
The sneak thief
The hero/boy
The big evil guy with underlings
The knight protector or fighting muscle.

Mix and match for your character.

Then there is the fact that all conversation is written in that witty tone. The scary wise powerful female is the one who never does anything to earn the fear, except getting told to 'let it go' or sometimes looking with a frown at someone. Then there is always talk about someone being 'evil' 'I know'.

anyway, I really couldn't go through with the dreamers. It's the same book, but you have to remember tons of other names for the people.

Sorry but who is The knight protector or fighting muscle. in the Dreamers Saga?

And I definately agree with the post.

Same with all the shrugs, what a good boy, rolls eyes, et cetera et ceterea.