Thomas Ligotti

Gollum, I've been lurking around the Chronicles quite a bit, and I feel your taste is pretty close to mine, so I trust your recommendations. Yes, I gathered from the thread that Nightmare Factory (the original) is the one to get, but I cannot seem to spy it in stock anywhere - all sold out. :(

I'll give you 24hrs tops.....:p

Yeah, yeah, ok. ...but just go look at my post in the book haul thread, and you might understand why I'm getting worried... :eek:

If you spot a copy of the excellent collection Nightmare Factory at a seemingly reasonable price DO NOT Hesitate; grab in one motion and proceed to the check-out forthwith.....:D

And, if I may add: don't be reluctant to defend yourself or even be aggressive on the way there and out the store. Any martial arts tactics you know may well come in handy....:p

Actually, it is a rather difficult item to find and has been for some time; but I found the following, which are slightly slower prices than I've seen in quite a while:

Thomas Ligotti - The Nightmare Factory - Carroll Graf - AbeBooks

or this:

Amazon.com: The Nightmare Factory (9780786703029): Thomas Ligotti, Poppy Z. Brite: Books

And yes, this place really should come with a warning about its effects on your pocketbook....:rolleyes:

Gollum, I've been lurking around the Chronicles quite a bit, and I feel your taste is pretty close to mine, so I trust your recommendations. Yes, I gathered from the thread that Nightmare Factory (the original) is the one to get, but I cannot seem to spy it in stock anywhere - all sold out. :(
Don't stress too much. I would be surprised if they don't re-release this or some variant of it or a best of collection. Really, you're unlikely to be let down too much with any of Ligotti's collections, so the next one that appears make a note of purchasing early. Simple as that.

You've also got heaps of very good reading ahead with your current haul if you have to wait a while.

Either that or improve your martial arts skills at the local bookstore as J.D. suggests...:D

Godd luck.

Yes, though not wanting to hurt J.D's feelings after all of his trouble in finding those copies, I think I'll wait a bit with the Nightmare Factory, and dig into what I've currently got, since I already had unread books on my shelf even before my huge Jan 2010 glut of purchases. In addition I've now ordered two Weird Tales Omnibi containing Ligotti, and who knows what they contain. When they arrive, I'll post a mention of the Ligotti titles included, in this thread.

Just thinking of the huge chunks already out of my credit card account is giving me an uncomfortable feeling in the solar plexus area, so I'm really going to put brakes on for now.
Who knows what one might come up with if you trawl the library system, btw.

Yes that's a good point regarding the library system. You can get some good reads at a minimal cost that way.

Please do post here regarding the Ligotti works/essays you come across.

As far as J.D goes don't worry to much, by all reports he's a tough old Texan varmit plus he's a known serial poster, so....... ;)

*Starts descending hurriedly into the depths of the Misty Mountains.

Believe me, I understand that feeling you're having.... I think it's a Chronic condition... (Oh, blazes! I think what Big Bear has is catching.....:eek:)

*ahem* On The Nightmare Factory itself: just keep a sharp eye out, and you may come across a good copy in a used bookstore for half price or somesuch... this is how I found copies of his Grimscribe and Songs of a Dead Dreamer originally.

I don't think I'd go for My Work is Not Yet Done as an early entry with Ligotti -- in many ways it is quite atypical (albeit darned good), so better to try out some of his other work first, I'd say.

And, just as a comparison... if you think that one goes for steep prices, try one I've been wanting to get my hands on for ages: The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales:

Amazon.com: THE AGONIZING RESURRECTION OF VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN & OTHER GOTHIC TALES: Thomas Ligotti: Books

Now, that is one I really wish someone would reissue.....

And as an introduction to Ligotti... you could do worse than find a copy of Cthulhu 2000, which has his "The Last Feast of Harlequin", along with stories by Gene Wolfe, Klein, Chappell, Copper,and others.... That particular Ligotti was the first I read, and it immediately got my attention....

OMG! *cough* Splutter... I just saw Cthulhu 2000 for almost 100 £ - yes, that is One Hundred Pounds. (Roundabout $140) AAAkkkk.. :eek: (Ok still not as bad as $500, but still)
but.. then I saw it elsewhere for about 13 £, (21 USD) so shall I grab it?

(Ugghhh, I actually hate you guys...- I should not log in here anymmmmooorreee) *cry *

Last edited:
Actually, I was thining of the library route on that one, as it has had both the Arkham hardbound and a trade paperback edition, so there are numbers of copies out there... not to mention used copies showing up in the stores for between $3-10 US....

I think that one of the reasons I've been so trigger happy is that I'm scared the books will go sold out and stay like that forever.. But I suppose I should have learnt by now, that in the book collecting game, one must be patient though alert if you enjoy bargain-hunting.

I've bookmarked the Cthulu 2000, just in case, but one also has to be a little fatalistic and trust for luck to come your way.

Example of how luck can work both ways: I picked up Le Guin's 2nd Earthsea novel for $1, and a bunch of Michael Moorcock's works for even less than that each at a local used bookstore yesterday.

But mixed with my elation when I went to check what I would have paid for them at my cheapest online store, was the chagrin I felt when I saw that Fire and Ice which I ordered from them just a few day ago, had in the meantime (Murphy says within a day of me ordering it at the more expensive price) been marked down by 45%.... I've already paid for it at the higher price, so too late! she cried... :mad:

Hands Moontraveller a handkerchief....:D:)

I'm afraid if you decide to become a serious collector, this is one of the pitfalls of the industry and almost impossible to avoid.

That edn. of Victor Frankenstein & Other Gothic Tales, certainly should be re-published. I would buy a copy without hesitation and I'm sure plenty of others would too.

Talking of "serious" collector; I have always been a book pack rat, but never saw myself as a "serious" collector. (That could change soon)

I have two members of my close family who collect books the way you would stamps. One of them collects first editions of books published around the 1900's, and the other semi-rare children's series like Biggles and Just William *yawn*. Regarding the latter, I have always found it pretty strange that a person would want multiple copies of exactly the same book, and on top of it a book he would never read as an adult anyway. Talk about nostalgia! :rolleyes:

Admittedly, I have multiple copies of Arthurian legend and of different illustrated volumes of The Wind in The Willows, etc. but, these are not of exactly the same book.

I must go visit my uncle, actually, who trawls week-end flea-markets for first edition copies of books, and perhaps arrange a joint weekend trip... :rolleyes::D

Oops, this post wasn't really about Ligotti, so apologies for off-topic.

Is there a "collectors" thread somewhere or shall we start one? ...or would that be the Book Haul thread? I was thinking more along the lines of a thread for posting rare finds?

Is there a "collectors" thread somewhere or shall we start one? ...or would that be the Book Haul thread? I was thinking more along the lines of a thread for posting rare finds?
That's an interesting idea.

We definitely don't have a collectors thread discussing rare or out of print books.

Why not start one? I would suggest under the General Books Discussion.

Talking of "serious" collector; I have always been a book pack rat, but never saw myself as a "serious" collector. (That could change soon)

I have two members of my close family who collect books the way you would stamps. One of them collects first editions of books published around the 1900's, and the other semi-rare children's series like Biggles and Just William *yawn*. Regarding the latter, I have always found it pretty strange that a person would want multiple copies of exactly the same book, and on top of it a book he would never read as an adult anyway. Talk about nostalgia! :rolleyes:

Well, it isn't really nostalgia (at least, with most collectors). It is something to do with that particular book/writer/publisher/artist, as well as a strong dose of just that: the "collecting mania". The same obsessive behavior which has people collect all different kinds of things.

I know someone, for instance, who collects all sorts of movie memorabilia (he has an enviable selection of lobby cards and one-sheets, for examples, dating back to the silent era), Barbie dolls and their accessories (all in their original boxes, from which they have never been removed), rare and obscure books on various topics, and sets of works from certain small presses (he has, for instance, the Scream/Press edition of Clive Barker's Books of Blood). He also collects and trades antique postcards.

With the movies, he is a huge fan of the medium, is in fact an actor who has done various small parts and lots of vocal work; with the obscure books, etc., it is because he simply likes quirky corners of human endeavor; with the small presses, he likes their particular type of production; and with the Barbie material, he is fascinated with it as a bit of pop culture and how it has reflected changes in such since its inception. There are other factors with some of these, but by and large, it is that impulse to collect certain items, both for their personal, sentimental value, their aesthetic value, and their symbolic value (which can often be extremely complex -- and often unconscious and difficult to articulate -- to that individual).

Wow, that's an adept and thoughtful exposition on the subject, J.D.W.

Perhaps "nostalgia" is not quite the correct word, indeed - it must be some complex partly subconscious trigger that causes the person to feel a fascination for the objects he collects, (which must surely hold some symbolism for him/her on a deeper level). It's got an element of compulsiveness almost, though usually not in a bad way..

Isn't it interesting also that some of us feel an affinity for not only certain forms of art and literature, but also certain eras in history, and will for instance collect collectibles representative in some way of that era.

For instance, the fifties and the "noir" genre, as well as fifties art, etc, has always held a certain fascination for me, as well as the Victorian era, in particular, among others.

Thank you. And yes, it's a fascinating subject of its own, and "compulsive" is exactly right, with or without the negative connotations. For example, as anyone around here could tell you, I'm something of a Lovecraft fanatic: I collect anything I can lay my hands on by or about the man: not only his fiction, but his poetry, essays, letters, memoirs of, biographies, criticism, the works of numerous writers who have been influenced by (including Ligotti), scraps of information... I'd collect his laundry and grocery lists if I could (and, in the letters, I suppose I often have:rolleyes:). He simply fascinates me on numerous levels (which is why I spend so much time doing analyses of his work, such as his poem "Amissa Minerva", which I've been working on analyzing for over three weeks now -- albeit usually in small increments due to my work schedule). I've even made it a point of picking up various books which are the particular editions of that book he had in his library, to aid in my research on the man and his work.

Now, a fascination that gets to that point is obsessive, but not (generally speaking) harmful; and can be quite beneficial, if it aids one in learning, or provides added interest on a subject to oneself or others. Nonetheless, obsessive it is.

And, to return to our original topic: had I the money, I'd get that copy of Ligotti's Agonizing Resurrection, as it contains pieces I've not found elsewhere, and I'd very much like to read anything by him I can. Which is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to that publication by Hippocampus of his The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, which (from what I gather) is a fascinating and very important key to much of what lies behind (or beneath?) his work....

Right. Back on topic. ;) ..and back to the subject of Ligotti. Well, the collection of scarce objects seems to actually be quite relevant in this thread, seeing that the work of Ligotti seems to be pretty scarce, and therefore rather valuable, and - people especially tend to gravitate towards collecting rare and valuable objects, not so?

I'll freely admit that (as far as I know) I have not yet read any Ligotti, which makes it all the more tittilating and tantalising to try and track down some of his works... it's like wanting to taste a rare wine that people are buzzing about. :rolleyes:

The particular Ligotti piece I mentioned above ("The Last Feast of Harlequin") is interesting because, in essence, it is a modern take on Lovecraft's "The Festival", with a rather different slant, and with Ligotti's own unique vision behind it. It is not a pastiche in the usual sense; it is an hommage, but without any sort of slavishness to it, being very much his own voice, tone, and set of actions. But the two pieces are temporally-separated twins, as it were, and each strengthens and broadens the reading of the other. Yet even strictly on its own, it is one of the most truly disturbing pieces I have read in a very long time... and this at a time when we seem to have a growing number of writers who manage to avoid (or minimize) the gore and physical repulsion and go for the genuinely disturbing and unnerving....

Wow, that's an adept and thoughtful exposition on the subject, J.D.W.
He's just a show off!.... :p

So....is someone here going to post a thread on rare books soon? If nobody does it by the end of the week I may be so moved to do so but it would be nice if Moontravler, being the new kid on the block, were to do so....;)

I'm becoming grumpy in my old age....

P.S. I stayed well clear of that discussion regarding compulsive obsessive collectors as I'm probably one of the worst offenders of this on-line community......:eek: Now where's that "couch" I ordered anyway?...:mad:

I'm becoming grumpy in my old age....

Well, considering you've been around since what? the 25th century of the Third Age, it's not that surprising. After all, your reumatiz must be actin' up somethin' fearful....:p

P.S. I stayed well clear of that discussion regarding compulsive obsessive collectors as I'm probably one of the worst offenders of this on-line community......:eek: Now where's that "couch" I ordered anyway?...:mad:

Now, whatever gave you that idea....?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S SFF Lounge 5
Bick Literary Fiction 18
Deke History 7
D_Davis Horror 0
D_Davis Horror 22