Thomas Ligotti

Ah, so I must stand corrected.

Anyway, let me just say that it covers a similar theme...

Okay, I have a question.

There currently exist 2 graphic novels based on Ligotti's work, called The Nightmare Factory.

Has anyone read either of these? Are they good?

I have seen them in my book club and they looked interesting but I've not read any of his work and only know the name from visiting the chrons, and if these GN are indicitive of his work then I'd like to give them a go.

The first book is pretty decent, but really, you want to try Ligotti, read his prose and use your imagination to make the visuals. That's the best way. He's in most part a short story writer, so it shouldn't take you much effort to get through his stuff.

I've got both of those graphic novels along with most everything Ligotti's had published.

The graphic novels are definitely worth getting but the books incl. the collection Nightmare Factory is IMO what you really want to try to get hold of.

A natural successor to Poe and Lovecraft for my money.

Good luck.

Welll then I'll pick up the GNs first, as they seem a good gateway into his work. I was looking at the Nightmare Factory collection on Amazon and wow! about £70 a copy. Just a litte out of my price range for an author I've not read before.

Is all of his stuff that rare at the moment, or is it just that one book?

Sadly, the majority of his work is OP and difficult to find for anything approaching a reasonable price (see the posts above). However, you can try the library/interlibrary loan route, which quite likely can net you those you don't have/can't find.

And Ligotti is definitely worth taking the trouble....

Yeh sorry...I should have mentioned that his stuff is reaching silly prices now IMO.

I know he's excellent but still it is frustrating when something this goods costs an arm and a leg for folk to enjoy.

Funnily enough, I'm reading Teatro Grottesco as well. Was quite happy that I had found a copy in a bookstore :)

The graphic novels (or should that be collections?) aren't bad: each story is illustrated in a different style, and they have, in most cases, caught the general flavor of the original pieces. But, as ravenus said, you're better off getting Ligotti's own work first: both Teatro Grottesco and My Work is Not Yet Done are currently available in bookstores, and some of the earlier collections can still be found at reasonable prices (though not, alas, The Nightmare Factory which collects the majority of his best writings).

Am currently reading Teatro Grottesco, which I bought at Borders in Kuala Lumpur amazingly enough. I remember standing there and staring at the shelf almost afraid to put my hand out in case the book promptly vanished.
That bad huh?....;) Good to see you got the book though, I bet you like it.....:)

You got Nightmare Factory?...I was lucky to purchase it for a cheap price but it's ludicrous how expensive it seems to have gotten lately.

Thanks for bringing that in, Roy. I don't have the time at my disposal to read those in the next few days, but it looks like I've got something lined up for this weekend, at any rate....:D

I seem to be able to get hold hold of Weird Tales 309-11 (Summer 1994-Summer 1996) and The Nightmare Factory graphic novel No.2.

So I take it from all the above that I should scoop these up as quickly as possible? Hmm, though the Weird Tales only includes Ligotti, so I don't suppose that would be a scarce book.
Still, it looks like a nice collection in general, anyway.

How frustrating that this author is so scarce..

Sadly, Teatro Grottesco already seems sold out at all my local online outlets... :(

Ok, now I've found another collection, Weird Tales 313-16 (Summer 1998-Summer 1999), and I really cannot afford both at once... *pulls out hair*
I've also found My Work is Not Yet Done now ..um I suppose I should rather grab that then...

Errr, shall I drop the graphic novel for now? They're not scarce are they? *pulls out some more hair*

Last edited:
What about "My Work is Not Yet Done"? I still see that in books stores around...

Yes, thanks, Fried Egg. I found that one now as well, while you posted. I just wish I hadn't also found those Weird Tales volumes, since they seem mouth-watering, and my book bill is already sky-high this month, from all the new purchases I'm making from lurking here at the Chronicles and picking up book recs.

I think I'm going to log out and not log in here until next month. Think I'll manage that?

I think I'm going to log out and not log in here until next month. Think I'll manage that?
I'll give you 24hrs tops.....:p

The Nightmare Factory graphic novel No's 1 and 2 are worth getting. If you spot a copy of the excellent collection Nightmare Factory at a seemingly reasonable price DO NOT Hesitate; grab in one motion and proceed to the check-out forthwith.....:D

*I don't think the Graphic novels are too scare. My Work Is Not Yet Done I don't have yet. It's a novella plus I think 2 short stories, so it will quite likely appear in future collections. With Ligotti the rule of thumb is simple. When you first see: GRAB, pay and only think later...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S SFF Lounge 5
Bick Literary Fiction 18
Deke History 7
D_Davis Horror 0
D_Davis Horror 22