Eragon

kyektulu - if you have a young niece or nephew who wants to tackle something beyond Potter or Fowl, Eragon and Eldest would make for a nice Christmas present. :D Then, at least, your money would not have been wasted.
-g-

Eldest, Eragon's sequel, was chosen as the worst book of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly, one of the top magazines on art and entertainment here in the US. I have not read Eldest, nor do I intend to. I managed to struggle through Eragon, though, and while I was reading it I was constantly amazed by the bad writing and stupid story, and I kept wondering how such laughable and lame novel could have been published. Of course, we all know why it was published: the publisher wanted to cash in on the author's youth, its intended audience not being able to distinguish good writing from the bad, and the wild popularity of Lord of the Rings, to which this book bears striking resemblance.

cornelius said:
so, it is wise for me to set this one aside, or to at least delete the name from my "to read" list. its long enough as it is already.
Not necessarily so Cornelius...It naturally depends upon what personal type of book you like to read. I am half way through it and I for one, have found it refreshing...I like his imagination and the way he brings necessary history into the storyline.

Yes, he is a YA writer...I, as you know enjoy an 'easy to read book' now and again. For you though, it might be too easy! :)

cornelius said:
so, it is wise for me to set this one aside, or to at least delete the name from my "to read" list. its long enough as it is already.
The second one is better than the first. But I enjoyed both books. Yes, Paolini is rather young and it shows in his writing, but it does improve in the second book.

As Rosemary says, his books are refreshing. :)

Finally finished reading Eldest by Paolini. I can definately say that his writing skills have improved immeasurably. The way he handles the dialogue in this volume is much better. :)

I still enjoyed the easy reading for a change, although his battle scenes are more detailed in this volume. Not as detailed as some of the more well known authors but enough for YA readers.

There was a very good twist at the end of this volume, so volume 3 is a must for me. :D

and it's so rare to find a literate American teen, maybe?
Ouch that hurt...

Rose, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I liked both, but saw a huge improvement in writing. I think the third book will be better yet. ;)

I thought this book was OK, but nothing startling. There are plenty of better YA authors out there to try :D