Eragon

Yes, I am talking about the book that "stole" Star Wars. Yes, as a stand alone book, Eragon is all too similar, I'll admit that. It is even that Eldest follows the same path as Eragon. Brisingr is the redeaming factor as it actually goes off into a new story and branches off from Star Wars. I'm quite sure Inheritance (the fourth book) will, too.

Now I have caught something I have not seen anyone else mention before (or maybe I'm just overthinking). I am currently reading the LOTR and I have already read the Hobbit and am well past halfway through Fellowship. I have seen the movies and read many summaries and histories of things.

Now in the Tom Bombadil scenes, page 147 in my book, Tom says that the Old Willow is a rotten tree and the goes to say, "His grey thirsty spirit drew power out of the earth and spread like the fine root-threads in the ground, and invisible twig-fingers in the air, till it had under its dominion nearly all the trees of the forest from the Hedge to the Downs."

After I initially read this, I stopped reading and thought about it for a little while. I eventually (while not necessarily trying to) thought about Eragon. In Alagaesia, [I am referencing Eldest when Eragon is studying with Oromis] Oromis teaches Eragon that it is possible to draw energy from outside forces; nature, if you will. He makes Eragon lift a rock without using any of his own energy. Eragon pulls the energy from nearby insects, such as ants and some shrubs. All the energy he pulled from nature killed the animals and plants. Maybe it is just me, but this sounds a lot like the Old Willow's power and control of the forest to me. Also in the Inheritance series, telepathy is possible, and you can control one's mind like this, rendering their energy yours. This would be how Galbatorix is so strong: he has broken the minds of many dragons' eldunari and uses it for his own use.
Anyone want to discuss more similarities between Eragon and Lord of the Rings?

As a side note, I do not think the Inheritance series is the greatest, but I certainly enjoy the books. I cannot wait for the last book. Inheritance is my second series after Harry Potter. I think they are great entry books into fantasy. Paolini thoroughly explores magic and its principals whereas books like LotR barely mentions HOW magic is used... Not bashing Tolkien, but I would love to know the capabilities of Gandalf. The mystery around it does not attract me as much as knowing that Oromis and Glaedr could shift a mountain if they so chose (with their resource of energy).

*Edit* - sorry for a mess of ideas. This blast of text was unprompted.

I read Eragon long ago so I am not sure I remember, but how did it steal Star Wars?

I thought it was rubbish so I didn't bother reading the rest.

Uptheirons, my friend, I am afraid that you won't find many takers for this discussion. The two authors in question are worlds apart in ability and in the scope of their myth-building.

Tolkien spent his entire adult life working on the mythology of Middle Earth, and his life experiences coloured what he wrote (especially his first-hand experience of the horror of WWI). As far as Middle Earth is concerned, he published only The Hobbit and LOTR during his lifetime, because he was busy being a Professor of Old English at Oxford. The Silmarillion(from the First Age of Middle Earth) is the foundation of the story of The Hobbit and LOTR (which is set at the end of the Third Age of Middle Earth), was a lifetime's work, and alas was published in 1977, four years after Tolkien's death in 1973. Since then, his Estate has published volumes of material that detailed the development of the Middle Earth mythology (the twelve-volume series The History of Middle Earth) and other volumes such as Unfinished Tales (stories that were based mainly in the Second Age of Middle Earth), and The Children of Hurin (the tragic story of Turin Turambar, expanded from the chapter in The Silmarillion).

Tolkien invented entire cultures (note the difference between the Rohirrim and the people of Gondor, then the Rangers of the North, the men of Bree, not to mention the Hobbits of the Shire, the Elves of Rivendell, of Lorien, of Mirkwood, not to mention the dwarves), languages and an ancient, detailed history prior to LOTR being published, which is why the story has such incredible depth to it. You feel the weight of Middle Earth's history when you read LOTR. I will say nothing of the movies, except that some of this is conveyed despite Jackson's revision of the story. I would ask you to pay attention to the differences of Aragorn, Faramir, Elrond, Frodo and Denethor in the movies versus the books. Which do you like better? How do Jackson's changes to the characters change the story?

Paolini's fiction, on the other hand, was first published when he was a teenager, and so no life experience whatsoever, except that of a sheltered teenager, could make its way into his writing. I thought he could have done without the boost from his parent-publishers, because he should have been put through the rigours that most writers must endure: rejection and revision, over and over again, to refine and hone their craft. He never got that education, which is vital to any artist. The knife must be rubbed against first a rough stone, then increasingly finer ones, to be properly sharpened. There are authors who have many novels in their hard drives or filing cabinets that will never, ever see the light of day, because they are simply not good enough. Eragon should have shared the same fate. I think Paolini did a great job for a teenage writer, and he certainly showed promise, but it was not worthy of publication. Unfortunately, he was not allowed to mature and refine his talent, and as a result, he might never get that opportunity. Many will not read him now, because his publishers pushed him out far too soon, and have therefore poisoned the waters, so to speak. His work just does not have the depth or vision of Tolkien's in order for there to be a decent comparison.

This is not to say that you haven't asked an intelligent question. You have, and you appear to have a keen mind for underlying currents in a story. Having read Harry Potter and Inheritance, which are really entry-level fantasies, I encourage you to expand into the broad realm of fantasy after reading Tolkien, who spawned a lot of imitators. There are the mighty epics of Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, George R.R. Martin, Janny Wurts, Raymond Feist and Steven Erikson (all of them very different, btw). There are amazing lyrical stand-alones, like Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana. There is that steaming pile of rubbish called Urban Fantasy (please, God, no more vampires and werewolves, or romances described as fantasy), which has some gems hidden amongst all that dreck. There is steam punk fantasy, gritty fantasy, space/science fantasy, just to name a few. For instance, given your enjoyment of Inheritance, I'd love to hear your take on Anne McCaffery's original Dragonriders of Pern trilogy. She wrote it in the 1960s, a few decades before Paolini was born.

Poke around on this forum and get a feel for other readers who like the stuff you like. In time, as you read more, you will find that your tastes will change, and you will look for more from your reading than a story. Ask questions, and beware bad books. Life is too short to read bad books.

Welcome to the Chrons!:) You should head over to the Introductions thread and say hello: Introductions - Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums

Right now, I am in the part of Fellowship where they are fleeing the Ringwraiths with Strider (Aragorn). I'm loving book Aragorn more. One complaint about Tolkien is how he has his characters just do stuff. Like, The Hobbit, Gandalf goes to Bilbo's house with all the dwarves and without too much conviction, or time, Bilbo is leaving the Shire without his hankerchief. Another complaint about The Hobbit (besides the one arrow killing the dragon, which I think could be a little more graceful) is how none of the dwarves die throughout the book until the very end, and then the deaths are just given to you. I would have liked to read about a goblin killing a dwarf, or even a spider kill one. It seems too unbelievable (yes, I'm comparing a fantasy book to real life) for none of the dwarves to go unscathed the whole time. Other than those few so far, I love Tolkien.

I think Paolini has created a fantasy-enough world (what with humans, dwarves, elves, Grey Folk, urgals, ra'zaac, and soon-to-be werecats) I think it is a little too structured. I like it most of the time, but there are some unneed stuff. By this, I mean Tolkien created orcs, and it is awesome. I think Paolini created urgals just because he had to create a people, like Tolkien. However, I also like the structure, such as the strictly Norse Ancient Language. I feel books are only proper with elves being superior.

I know Paolini has planned more books in the world of Alagaesia, but after he finishes the Inheritance cycle I think he is going to pursue other ideas (I believe he wants to write a drama). Hopefully there is more depth than Eragon or Eldest shows. Brisingr opened the door, I just hope Inheritance isn't totally predictable.

I have been tempted to read Dragonriders of Pern before, and I think I will now. They'll be next on the list after by Tolkien exploration is over (so it'll still be a while, but they are next).