R. Scott Bakker

Well, I have someone to thank for the 'move'. So: 'Thank You'!

As to teasers and promptings? Not much of that to happen, I guess.
Yeah, I'm being obtuse, since I cannot simply state 'anything' concisely...

So those that have read R. Scott Bakker's books are here to prod and push and poke and prompt in our stumbling attempts to state why we 'enjoyed' his books... I have yet to hear proper critisism.

The guy is good.
And how are you (the reader) to compare my 'good' to your 'good'?
If you have a large pile of 'to-read' and you're here browsing for the moment then please allow me to remind you that you should have already placed "The Darkness That Comes Before" upon that said pile and should heretoforthwith be totally put off from reading my nonsense in preference for someone that can write.

Forgive me if you've come this far... But would anyone care to work out if there is a connection between 'Paul Glimcher' of New York University 'fame' and 'Jiddu Krishnamurti' of the philosophical 'fame'? Or have I yet to properly comprehend?

Note to self: go into town and pick up that book you ordered.

Namely 'The Warrior Prophet'.

Then live life to the full. Spend all your time working. Spend all your time having fun and conversation with friends. Spend a good deal of time with those that depend upon you. Make sure you're well fed, watered and healthy.

Or forget all that for a while and get 'stuck-in'!!! ;)

Went downtown to browse the local bookstore, Mostly Books, and I found The Thousandfold Thought sitting there calling to me! I just finished Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides and needed something to read, yes I am in heaven!

:D

Rahl

PS: where did I originally post this message that it had to be moved?

nixie said:
...on order from states...

The States?

Oh, the state of things to come!

>>Town>Bookshoppe>T.H.E.>2 days>Town>Bookshoppe> BOOK! >>> Home...

..fire...food...coffee...BO...no, dogs...NET...coffee...tea...

(Turns into Tarod <Patricia McKillip> and halts Time!!! > BOOK :D )

lol - Im now a man of my Word. Nothing but food and drink passes these lips :D

I call it a bit of excitement. I'm like that ;) Else I'd be one of those stead unchanging adults I meet upon my travails... Those that dont try something new, those that believe they know of the darkness that comes before their own thoughts...

Sheesh! Maybe you are right! Maybe someone spiked my drink !!!

;)

Ha ha!
HG

[Ok, air too, but clean air.]

Well I am about 100 pages in and only because I spent like two hours just reading the extensive glossary, which seemed to be missing in my library's copy of TWP. Anyway this is the best book yet, well done Scott!

And I can't wait for the Aspect Emperor!

Rahl

Rahl Windsong said:
And I can't wait for the Aspect Emperor!
For those not aware Rahl is referring to the new duology called Aspect Emperor which takes place about 20 years after the events in the Prince Of Nothing trilogy and of which Scott is currently working on Book 1 for I think release in 2007.

renadenise said:
Thanks, I can always use a "Gollem" recommendation.
:D So long as its for judicious purposes!
If not, then we'd love to know just what his recommendations become ;).
Hehe(of the muhaha kind!!!)

Sorry, Im tainting this thread with my weird humour...

Ok, was wondering if folks knew of a fairly recent interview with Mr. Bakker? Here's the link if you care to take a read :) :

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2005/12/new-r-scott-bakker-interview.html

[Edit: no spoilers about previous books, btw. And lets plz avoid spoilers within this thread. ty. HG]

GOLLUM said:
For those not aware Rahl is referring to the new duology called Aspect Emperor which takes place about 20 years after the events in the Prince Of Nothing trilogy and of which Scott is currently working on Book 1 for I think release in 2007.

Oh yes and in an interview with Scott http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2005/12/new-r-scott-bakker-interview.html I read that he is feeling giddy!

Quote from interview:

"Will we continue to learn more about the Consult and the Inchoroi from Seswatha's dreams, or will there be more information given in the next series?

There will be much, much more information. As I think I mentioned earlier, a larger part of the world, especially when it comes to the Sranc and the Nonmen, will come into the narrative spotlight. I get giddy just thinking about it!"

I get giddy reading that he is giddy! lol

Rahl

PS: a couple more forums for Bakker fans!

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

http://forum.three-seas.com/

HieroGlyph said:
Sorry, Im tainting this thread with my weird humour...
Pfft.. child's play you obviously haven't spent an evening in the Basement yet or for that matter the mud pit...:D

I've got some recomendations over in the Fantasy Recommendations for the Unelnightend thread I posted when I first joined here although it's changed a bit since then...

Rahl, maybe you should ask Mr. Bakker for a commision for spreading the word...;)

GOLLUM said:
...Rahl, maybe you should ask Mr. Bakker for a commision for spreading the word...;)

Maybe we should concilliate a different kind of commision for said venture!?!

(Sheesh, bet I could have blagged it as a darn 'good' Lawyer ;) )

GOLLUM said:
Pfft.. child's play you obviously haven't spent an evening in the Basement yet or for that matter the mud pit...:D

I've got some recomendations over in the Fantasy Recommendations for the Unelnightend thread I posted when I first joined here although it's changed a bit since then...

Rahl, maybe you should ask Mr. Bakker for a commision for spreading the word...;)

Ahh yes but I notice in all interviews with Erikson ans Bakker that they continually berate us fellow Canadians for a thing they both percieve to be the collective thought of the nation towards fantasy literature and that being we don't like it.

I stand and say I am Canadian and I like to read fantasy and I now damn them both for their collective thoughs on this!

Rahl

Alright I have finished TFT and I have to say that the final book in this series was the best! The ending I loved! I won't say any more on that for now I don't want to spoil it for anyone but rest assured you are in for a great read! GREAT!

Just started a David Gemmell book, Ravenheart, and after such a meaty story from Mr. Bakker I am finding this to be exactly what I needed. I consider Gemmell to be one of the best at heroic fantasy and he is a very good storyteller to boot! His books never dissappoint me, even though I know going in what I shall find. For me that shows the ability of a person who knows how to tell a story.

Rahl

Halfway through....trying to make it last,but struggling dismally.Brilliant,magnificent, excellent don't even begin to describe it.Hats off to Mr Bakker now standing third in my favourite series ever.