R. Scott Bakker

Rahl Windsong

Last of the Windsong Clan
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
642
Location
Squamish, BC, Canada
I had not heard of this author and a fellow poster, Gollum, recommended his, The Prince of Nothing series and I must say this series is excellent! I would recommend this author to anyone who likes Fantasy with lots of strong characters and subplots.

Rahl
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
Glad you liked it Rahl....:D

Bakker does indeed rank in my top 5 fantasy series of all time..

Maybe you can now give Paul Kearney's Mark Of Ran a try. A highly underrated and underexposed writer.
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
nixie said:
Feb release date for Bakker's next book....Should give me time to read it before I get my hands on Erikson's Bonehunters
You mean you haven't read it yet! Shock Horror!!...:eek:

Looks like I'm going to have to make you my special project...;)
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
Thanks for the clarification, I thought you meant you hadn't read any of the books so far.
 

HieroGlyph

70% water...
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
376
Location
...30% headache...
Is there a chance this thread can be moved to 'General Book Discussion' area, please?

-- I did wish to discuss R. Scott Bakker (and still do), but will hold off till either it is moved, or I have a moment of steam-rolling again, or none of the above! ;)

Ta.
HG
 

Omega

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2003
Messages
212
Location
Stafford, England
HieroGlyph said:
Is there a chance this thread can be moved to 'General Book Discussion' area, please?

-- I did wish to discuss R. Scott Bakker (and still do), but will hold off till either it is moved, or I have a moment of steam-rolling again, or none of the above! ;)

Ta.
HG
You don't have to wait for a thread to be moved before adding to it.
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
HieroGlyph said:
I know.
(No need to state the obvious, sir.)

Im prompting for a move none the less.

I'll add what I wish to add, but it can wait.
Hey stop leaving everyone in suspense!...:p ;)
 

HieroGlyph

70% water...
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
376
Location
...30% headache...
Ah, but, Gollum, dont you think he's worthy of a little deliberation? ;) (With a most deliberate use of that last word...) There is no Author section for 'him' nor has anyone else started other threads specifically about him or his 'work'...
 

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
3,914
Location
Help! I'm stuck in the forums!
Sadly, I have yet been able to get my hands on any of his books. I've been very intrigued by the rave reviews he gets from other members but I can't find him (at a library or discount store...I know I can find it at amazon).
 

Gary Wassner

Gary Alan Wassner
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
99
Location
nyc
I know Scott pretty well and honestly, IMO, he's the best and the brightest author in the genre today. And considering that I write Epic Fantasy too, I still have no qualms about saying that. In fact, he's extraordinary. Whatever you pay for his books will be well worth it. And you'll read them more than once.
 

Brys

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
813
You're an Erikson fan and you hadn't heard of Bakker?!
Bakker's easily one of the top 3 epic fantasy authors IMO (along with Martin and Erikson).
Kellhus is one of the greatest characters of fantasy - one of the few truly amoral characters I've seen (Steerpike might be another).
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
Brys said:
You're an Erikson fan and you hadn't heard of Bakker?!
Well actually this is not all that surprising as Bakker seems to have had less publicity than GRRM and Erikson from the forums I trawl anyway, although Gary is doing a god job at addressing that....;)

Sadly Paul Kearney is still not well known, which to me is somewhat criminal considering the quality of his work, Ricardo Pinto being another as well as my recent discovery thanks to this forum of the brilliant horror writer Thomas Ligotti who has been described as "the best kept secret in horror wirting", although in his case he's apparently someone who wantonly avoids the spotlight.

It would be interestring to know from Gary whether fame is something that Mr Bakker seeks particularly or whether he's a fairly retiring figure who prefers to stay out of the public eye or somewhat the opposite..:confused:

I'm sure this can probably be answered by perusing various interviews but an insight from someone who knows the author well could be interesting.
 

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
3,914
Location
Help! I'm stuck in the forums!
Gary Wassner said:
I know Scott pretty well and honestly, IMO, he's the best and the brightest author in the genre today. And considering that I write Epic Fantasy too, I still have no qualms about saying that. In fact, he's extraordinary. Whatever you pay for his books will be well worth it. And you'll read them more than once.
It's not a matter of being cheap, if I were rich I'd buy all the special editions with cool covers and added author's thoughts and whatnot. It's more a matter of I've got very limited funds and spending them all on one book that'll take me a day to read when I can get several books at the same price or for free...you get what I'm saying. I don't doubt that his books are worth it at all.
 

Brys

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
813
GOLLUM said:
Well actually this is not all that surprising as Bakker seems to have had less publicity than GRRM and Erikson from the forums I trawl anyway, although Gary is doing a god job at addressing that....;)

Sadly Paul Kearney is still not well known, which to me is somewhat criminal considering the quality of his work, Ricardo Pinto being another as well as my recent discovery thanks to this forum of the brilliant horror writer Thomas Ligotti who has been described as "the best kept secret in horror wirting", although in his case he's apparently someone who wantonly avoids the spotlight.

It would be interestring to know from Gary whether fame is something that Mr Bakker seeks particularly or whether he's a fairly retiring figure who prefers to stay out of the public eye or somewhat the opposite..:confused:

I'm sure this can probably be answered by perusing various interviews but an insight from someone who knows the author well could be interesting.
Well, Erikson did recommend Bakker pretty strongly - it's how I discovered Bakker, as well as a huge number of Erikson fans. Then again, Erikson's recommendations for Kearney and Cook haven't had a similar effect though.

You might want to see Bakker's subforums on sffworld.com - he's very involved over there - and participating in the book club discussion about the Darkness that Comes Before.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
Brys said:
Well, Erikson did recommend Bakker pretty strongly - it's how I discovered Bakker, as well as a huge number of Erikson fans. Then again, Erikson's recommendations for Kearney and Cook haven't had a similar effect though.

You might want to see Bakker's subforums on sffworld.com - he's very involved over there - and participating in the book club discussion about the Darkness that Comes Before.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Yes that's how I found out about Bakker as well as Kearney too. I'll have a look at that link, I also know he has a specific forum for his books I've seen.
 
Top