Votes: 8 5.7%
  • that bloke from Quantum Leap

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Kirk punched his way through adversity, while Picard reasoned with it. Janeway tried to be an understanding feminist, and Sikso talked about baseball a lot. And the guy from Quantum Leap sort of plods about from episode to episode not sure as to whether he's panting macho or a sympathetic liberal.

So...taking votes on which was the best Star Trek captain! :D

Well, I had to go with Picard.

As much as I love the original series - known as "Real Star Trek" in my house - Kirk was just too much of a jerk for my taste (personally, I always liked Scotty best on that series). I was never able to warm up to Janeway - maybe because she wouldn't just leap into Chakotay's arms and be done with it, silly woman
wink.gif
. I never watched DS-9 enough to be able to say anything about Sisko one way or the other. And I've never seen "Enterprise".

I have to go with Kirk......You'll forgive me, but I was just 16 when the original debuted and it was like fresh air had hid the airwaves. Things were changing on the planet that were reflected on the series. Ideas were performed in a way that the public could except. After all, this was the 23rd century and any radical ideas presented could be dismissed. But, for those of us who embraced the radical ideas of racial harmony and individual worth had a champion in Kirk.
Sure, he was somewhat sexist, and humble was a not word anyone could use to discribe him, but he was a good soul and had a inaite sense of right.

Picard and the rest are all weak imitations.

It's Picard for me - the explorer with the heart of a poet and a respect from his crew that was not based on his pugilistic prowess.
Kirk is a mere barbarian compared to this Titan of Interstellar Eloquence :D

I loved the original series but didn't like Kirk at all. Picard was ok but he just didn't do it for me. Sisco I know diddly about but what I saw I liked. However, I liked the fact that Janeway was more of a man than Kirk, just as intelligent as Picard and female to boot. She got my vote. And anyone is better than the new guy on Enterprise...I stopped watching it because I was bored. I really liked him in Quantum Leap though, I wish they would bring it back.

I loved Picard very much, however, Kirk has got my vote. I think him and I would be able to hang out, while Picard is someone that I would only want as a boss.

Picard got my vote, because those episodes were the most thrilling to me. I never liked Janeway - too cold and very impressed with herself. What I like in Picard is his phylosophical trait and the very good manners, for a captain it must be very important to get respect and to have the trust of the crew. I really think Picard had it all. I never really liked Kirk much (Scotty was doing all the real work and he was collecting the honors).
So that's for Star Trek, which I don't watch anymore, unless they show episodes with Picard.
cool.gif

I do have a soft-spot for Kirk - the frontiersman who has to break "silly rules" in order to give individual situations the individual attention they required (diplomatically speaking). :)

Picard was excellent at portraying father-like leadership and the psychological profile of that character was very well developed. One of my favourite Next Gen episodes simply involved Jean-Luc going back to the family farm in France, and thrashing out family issues.

Jayneway I didn't mind - I hear a lot of complaints from people that they can't stand her voice, though.

I didn't see too much Voyager - or DS9, for that matter, though - and seen only 2 episodes of "Enterprise".

My all time favourite episode was The Measure of a Man - in which Picard had to defend Data's right to exist as an individual whilst a scientist saw him merely as a machine and wished to take him apart. This episode, for me, not only showed off the depth of the Picard character and wonderful script, but the quality of Patrick Stewart as an actor.
I also have a soft spot for Kirk but it's man against boy when he faces up to Picard.

Much as we love the original show, and still do (especially Spock & McCoy!) We voted for Jean Luc Picard as favourite Captain (but, being a fan of Patrick Stewart, long before he took command of the Enterprise we, couldn't really vote for anyone else, now could we!)
wink.gif

OK, I need to break from the norm and vote for Captain Archer from Enterprise. Yes he is very "green" and dosen't know if he should be a tough fighter or a humanitarian, but this was our very first mission. He didn't know how to act and it took a lot of guts to be first out there in a strange universe. He sure found out how tough it was and that being a little tough was definitely needed at times.

While I have some affection for Picard (Patrick Stewart is certainly the best actor of the lot), I always thought Janeway sounded like a dalek and 'Quantum Leap,' was a piece of sh*t.

I have to say that I like Cisco's avuncular approach to command, and the way he can be pure steel when required. He also has a fine sense of humour and has a h*ll of a lot more to deal with than a conventional captain.

I'd have to go with Picard, if I found myself in a dire situation and could pick a star trek captain for help, he'd be first on my list!

Cisco would be a close second, then Kirk, followed by Janeway and last of all Archer

I went for Picard in the end but Kirk ran him close. I have no problem with Sisko either just somehow didn't enter the equation.

I'd have to go with Picard, if I found myself in a dire situation and could pick a star trek captain for help, he'd be first on my list!

Cisco would be a close second, then Kirk, followed by Janeway and last of all Archer

That would be my order as well!

My sister will probably have my head for saying this, but Picard is the best. Plus, he's the one I grew up watching who seemed less of a womaniser than Corset Boy. :p

Then I would pick Janeway, then Sisko, then Corset Boy, then the captain I've yet to see, Archer.

You've not seen Archer? (Not very enterprising of you.)

I also voted for Picard, by the way.