Eragon, Eldest--Christopher Paolini

star_song

..thirst for spilt ink..
Any thoughts on Eragon or Eldest if anyone has read them. I appreciated Eragon and am in the process of reading Eldest.

star_song said:
Thank you, hah I suppose I am a little behind, or a little too new.:eek:
No stress, I've posted threads several times and later found out that somenoe's already thought of the same thing... :D

This forum is so large it gets kinda hard sometimes to keep track of previous discusions, so good on you for posting a thread.

Now I've recently read the first book to see what all the interest is about and found them quite an enjoyable read. For me personally they're nothing spectacular but not bad for a first effort I would've thought.

BTW if I haven't said Hi yet then HI and Welcome!!.. :cool:

EDIT Alia has posted a very useful thread at the top of this YA forum that provides a list with links to several YA authors including Christopher.

Well, Eldest has been released here (US) and so far is proving to be as enchanting as the first. I would agree the books are quite cliche but sometimes things well written can get away with such things. I am going to a book signing/speaking of his this tuesday and I am really excited. I admire him mostly because he published so young. I wish it was me, quite frankly lol. :D

Hi to you as well, thanks for being so nice.

Well just for a little bit of inspiration here's something I posted on another forum regarding young writers:

*Start Post*

1 Christopher Paolini's epic-fantasy Eragon, written at age 15, last year took over the New York Times children's books best-seller list from JK Rowling of Harry Potter fame!!

2. Flavia Bujor at age 14 wrote The Prophecy of the Stones, a best-seller in France and Germany in 2002. Miramax printed 65,000 copies of the book in April 2004.

3. On a more sombre note, last year the US mourned the loss of 13 year old poet Mattie Stepanek, who was first in print at age 11 for work he'd been doing since he was 3. His Heartsongs volumes have sold more than half a million copies.

4. . The Young Visiters, a novel written in 1890 by a 9-year-old named Daisy Ashford, was published in England in 1919 with US publications following.

5. US youngster Nathalia Crane wrote several collections of poems starting with her debut Janitor's Boy and Other Poems, in 1924 at age 10.

And the list goes no.. so you see you're never too young or indeed too old for that matter!!!!

*End Post*

I suppose that list can go on and on... I just personally started reading the first book... well, I'm cheating, listening to it on CD's. :D And even though it has a lot of cliches in it, Paolini is a talented writer... better than I will ever be.

Yes that could actually form a most interesting new thread in the YA forum on child authors and their works actually... :D

I suppose so, I dont know if I am inspired or just depressed now. (JK) and yes talent talent talent, i could use some.

Thanks for volunteering for starting the new thread Gollum. :D ;)

I look forward to reading all about it. :D ;)

(If you point me in the right direction, I can do the research Gollum, I'm merely teasing you. :))

Alia said:
Thanks for volunteering for starting the new thread Gollum. :D ;)

I look forward to reading all about it. :D ;)

(If you point me in the right direction, I can do the research Gollum, I'm merely teasing you. :))
Will send you some links via PM tommorow.

Will look for them... thanks Gollum :D

I suppose so, I dont know if I am inspired or just depressed now. (JK) and yes talent talent talent, i could use some.
I think JK is inspiration to a lot of people... Paolini isn't for me as much as JK was. She even motivated me to start reading more. :D

Well I read Eragon and really enjoyed it, even if it is classed as a childrens fantasy book!! :D I just know that my eldest Granddaughter will enjoy it too. If I can get 'Eldest' as well, they would make a great Christmas present for her.:)

may i remind u guys that Christopher Paulini's work is a bit coppied.
Many people say from the Pern books, LOTR, Star Wars, and a few other Fantacy books.
i agree on the fact that it is similiar to LOTR because of many facts like,
The map of Alegneesia,
the Urgals similarity to the Orks,
Eragon liking an elf (aragon liking and elf),
the thirteen dawf colonies,
Gandolf, Brom,
Orrik, and i fogot his name but u probably no wat it is,
i would say Suron would havce similarities to a Shade

but thats just my thoughts

When saying that Eragon is a mix of copied storytelling, bear in mind that nothing is original. There are only so many successful character types and relationships. While not the best book that I have ever read, I certainly don't regret reading Eragon because it was a decent book.