Best Actor

Cate Blanchett, don't forget her, what a range she has.

Also Sigourney Weaver - she's done a good job in a surprising range of roles. Did anyone see her in Death and the Maiden? Depressing movie - very good though - excellent acting from all concerned.

Which reminds me, has anyone mentioned Ben Kingsley yet? Or Hugo Weaving?

Cate Blanchett, don't forget her, what a range she has.

Also Sigourney Weaver - she's done a good job in a surprising range of roles. Did anyone see her in Death and the Maiden? Depressing movie - very good though - excellent acting from all concerned.

Which reminds me, has anyone mentioned Ben Kingsley yet? Or Hugo Weaving?

I always thought Glenn Close was a very good actress, and quite diverse (Cruella De-Vil comes to mind!). Thinking on the evil side of the house Bette Midler played a great character in Hocus Pocus (but has done well in other films too).

I also agree with you on Michelle Pfeiffer Book stop. Although not an actress that blows me away, she has had a very good career.

I could list a few more actresses I like, but it wouldn't necessarily be because of their acting abilities so I'll refrain and keep the thread on topic ;):D

I could list a few more actresses I like, but it wouldn't necessarily be because of their acting abilities so I'll refrain and keep the thread on topic ;):D

Sorry Procrastinator

I had originally intended to talk about my agreement regarding Sigourney, but I assume the mind started wondering towards the other actresses not mentioned in the quote ;) It must be a ST thing :p

Hmmm
Male Actors
Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt
Bruce Willis
Kevin Spacey
Tim Roth
Steve Buscemi
Gary Oldman
David Tennant
Brendan Fraser
Rex Harrison
Gerard Depardieu
Jean Reno
the list could go on for eons, but I have rarely seen a bad movie by any of these actors

Female actors
Audrey Hepburn
Cate Blanchette
Aishwarya Rai
Susan Sarandon
Julia Roberts
Rachel Griffiths
Yvonne Strahovski
Toni Collette.

Julienne Moore and Natalie Portman are both Great actresses.

I think what makes an actor great is thier ability to 'become' different characters. When you look an an actor like Julia Roberts or Bruce Willis (sorry, wy, you rlist is just easy to see so I'm pullng straight from) they are very good in the roles they play, but don't really branch out into anything different. Bruce is always a smart-ass, and Julia is always weak on the outside with an inner strength (she cries alot too).

Then you have actors like Kevin Spacey and Cate Blanchette, that take on roles that are opposite ends of the spectrum and play them well. That is what puts an actor into the best category fpr me.

Toni Collette is a briliant actress, and I think perhaps overlooked sometimes because she isn't a traditional beauty. (which is a whole 'nother diatribe)

Toni Collette is a briliant actress, and I think perhaps overlooked sometimes because she isn't a traditional beauty. (which is a whole 'nother diatribe)

Oooh, she was good in Sixth Sense (along with your favourite Bruce:D)!
I hate it when ladies cry in movies/film (or any time) and I thought she did brilliantly when she was talking with her son Cole about her mother. Well, she was good all the way through the film.

There is only 1 best actor

And it has to be John Turturro. The only man to play a fully clothed ball-licking Jesus!

And if you haven't seen his 'Disco Stu' type character in 'The search for One Eyed Jimmy' then your eyes are still virgins. ;)

Then there's Screen Presence. Not all actors have this, some have it in spades. It can be hard to separate acting ability from this special charisma. Examples: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Glenn Close, Laurence Fishburne (these are just a sample - many of the actors already mentioned have "it" ). These ones can all act as well, though, as evidenced by the fact that they have the ability to turn their screen presence "off", and play someone very blah or background as well as someone you can't take your eyes off.

Not every great actor has Screen Presence. You don't actually need it to be a great actor. For example someone like Steve Buscemi or Toni Collette, who have played some excellent roles showing fabulous mastery. The "quiet achievers" of the acting world.

Do you need both to be called a truly great actor?

No problem BS :)

See for me a good actor is someone who knows their strengths and weaknesses and plays to them and doesn't try to go beyond their capabilities just for a pay check. See Bruce Willis always plays a smart alecky tough guy but that is because he is good at that and I doubt he would try his hand at an 17th century Welsh farmer (Where as a not so good actor, just after the paycheck might go hmmm I'll give that Welsh accent ago or go hmmm I will make that movie about the german submarine and have everyone talk like an american hmmm)

Oh speaking of good actors Viggo Mortensen is another one, he gives his all to a role and does it very well.

Isn't John Turturro the "very very sneaky" guy from Mr Deeds?

Isn't John Turturro the "very very sneaky" guy from Mr Deeds?

Yes he is, he is also Jesus from the Big Lebowski, and Barton Fink in Barton Fink, The Coen Brothers use him quite alot.

Yes he is, he is also Jesus from the Big Lebowski, and Barton Fink in Barton Fink, The Coen Brothers use him quite alot.

And speaking of Big Lebowski, there wasn't a weak actor in the group was there? Well, maybe Bunny, but she didn't have very many lines so it is easy to overlook that Tara Reed was even in the film. I've always been a fan of Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve buscemi, Julienne Moore, John Turturro, PS Hoffman, ...and the list of great actors could go on.

I would like to see Othello The Movie with my favourite actors in it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger as Othello
Steve Seagal as Iago
Rutger Hauer as Desdemona
Mr Bean as Cassio

On a more serious point it's horse for courses (and cliches for afters). A number have touched upon range, I think Depp has it, Pitt attempts it (boy does he want his Oscar), Crowe has it and so on. Others are movie stars... Arnie was always Arnie; in the right movie that's what you want. John Wayne was always John Wayne but he was a character people liked to see, he was a movie star. Others like Al Pacino are ACTORS (avec intonation).

I remember Denholm Elliott being a very good supporting actor.

people sure seem to like russel crowe but i just don't see it. i haven't enjoyed anything he's been in, and i really don't enjoy him nor do i see rnge - yes the characters are very different, but he still seems the same

people sure seem to like russel crowe but i just don't see it. i haven't enjoyed anything he's been in, and i really don't enjoy him nor do i see rnge - yes the characters are very different, but he still seems the same

:eek: No way BookStop! Gladiator was cool!!!:p
(Although I must admit I haven't really enjoyed his performance in anything else he's been in).

I've heard LA Confidential is good but I haven't seen it(?)

I just love Jack Nicholson and Johnny Depp
They are far the best...
Then comes Paul Bettany and Malcom McDowell
And from actresses Meryl Streep :)

Who do you think is the best Actor (male or female) out there?

I find it hard to go past Depp, Freeman and Washington.
The same for me, but also Keanu Reeves and Ryan Gosling - can't find the only one, all od them are great actors for me!

I remember Denholm Elliott being a very good supporting actor.

Yes, he was great - one among a generation of English supporting actors who are superb - Michael Hordern, Donald Pleasance, Harry Andrews, Colin Blakely etc...

The two English-speaking actors who have impressed me most over a period of time are James Mason and Alan Bates.

Now I come to think of it, all my favourite actors are dead. :(