Best Actor

Calis

Science fiction fantasy
Who do you think is the best Actor (male or female) out there?

I find it hard to go past Depp, Freeman and Washington.

I don't have any ONE actor that I enjoy watching... There are MANY I hate with a vengence... Are we talking dead or alive???

I have a lot of time for:
Alive (so far):
Denzel Washington
Wesley Snipes
Morgan Freeman
Vin Diesel
Robby Coltrane
Nathan Fillion
Anthony Stewart Head
Brian Cox
Christopher Ecclestone
Ian Holm
Will Smith
James Earl Jones
Deceased:
Alec Guiness
Peter Sellers
David Niven
Leonard Rossiter
George Sanders
James Robertson Justice
Wiliam Powell
(To name but a few)

Actresses:
Alive (so far):
Maggie Smith
Amanda Tapping
Allyson Hannigan
Kiera Knightley
Geraldine McEwan
Judi Dench
Deseased:
Audrey Hepburn
Peggy Ashcroft
Margaret Rutherford

HMM.. the best actor of all time, let me see...&*^%#$%&!!@#$^%^%&&*&&&$$$@#@@@()*&^%^%$#@@#$ AHA got it!

Easy one The Master with or without the slippers..... :D

My hate list includes:

Orlando Bloom
Liam Neeson
Brad Pitt
Jennifer Garner
(to name a few)

And kaneda, they are my choices... Will Smith acted well in Men In Black, and Ali, and Wild Wild West, and a couple of others... He has a lot of talent... Just needs to be stretched... I see no reason that he won't be the next Denzel Washington or Morgan Freeman... Just needs to find his genre and style... He is still young... Plenty of time left!!!

Kiera Knightley needs range too... But I see no reason to snub her... She has talent...

personally i think the best two actors around are Ryan Gosling and Christopher Eccleston. they're WAY WAY above and beyond their peers...

well, i think he's freaking gorgeous! and regardless of what his face looks like, he's a damn damn damn fine actor.

Unfortunately, some of the best actors are dead. James Dean and Steve McQueen come to mind immediately. Of the ones who are still around, I have to say that I admire Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt because they can do good work and are willing to play against their "pretty boy" images. Anybody here ever seen Depp in "Blow" or Pitt in "Kalifornia" or "12 Monkeys"? Tom Hanks is very good, too, depending on what he is in. He richly deserved the Oscar he got for "Philadelphia". I also like Russell Crowe's work a lot; say what you like about his anger management problems, he can act rings around most people working today. I haven't seen "Cinderella Man" yet, but his work in "A Beautiful Mind" and in "L.A. Confidential" was top-notch, as was his work in "Gladiator". I also thought he did quite well in "Proof of Life", which got overshadowed by rumors about his love life, and in "Mystery, Alaska", which didn't get seen much. Billy Bob Thornton is good, as well. Of the older actors still working, I really like Al Pacino and Robert DiNiro. Gene Hackman is good, too.

Tom Hanks I would have to say is easily my most favorite actor, I agree with you littlemiss, he did deserved that oscar!!!! Excellent acting and movie!!!

I agree with TM on Will Smith, he is a very talented man.
Others favorites include:
Wesley Snipes
Rachel Weiz
Brandon Fraser
Johnny Depp

I did another list of actors that I like and another list of those that I hate... WAY too long to put on here... :D

I think when it all comes down to it, there are several ways we acknowledge acting... And it is all subjective... We will never all agree to the same list... Ain't individuality great??? ;)

littlemissattitude said:
Tom Hanks is very good, too, depending on what he is in. He richly deserved the Oscar he got for "Philadelphia". I also like Russell Crowe's work a lot; say what you like about his anger management problems, he can act rings around most people working today. I haven't seen "Cinderella Man" yet, but his work in "A Beautiful Mind" and in "L.A. Confidential" was top-notch, as was his work in "Gladiator". I also thought he did quite well in "Proof of Life", which got overshadowed by rumors about his love life, and in "Mystery, Alaska", which didn't get seen much. Billy Bob Thornton is good, as well. Of the older actors still working, I really like Al Pacino and Robert DiNiro. Gene Hackman is good, too.

Philidelphia is an excellent movie.

Billy Bob in Bad Santa was good (as well as one of the funniest movies i ever seen)

I forgot about DeNiro. I never thought he could pull of comedy movies but he is good in Meet the Parents/Fockers and Analyse This/That.

Russell Crowe - ever seen Romper Stomper? Melbourne made movie.

I like Will Smith too - He was good in Ali and I,Robot and Enemy of the State. I like all his movies as well.

It's hard to go past Depp for best actor at the moment. Tim Robbins, Sean Penn, Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Guy Pearce, big Rusty Crowe, and Geoffrey Rush are all up there for me. Jim Carrey was brilliant in both Eternal Sunshine and Lemony Snicket's, in totally different roles. As far as the girls go, Kate Winslet is probably the front runner. Will agree with TM's assesment of Keira Knightley, she has potential. Plus, she's very easy on the eye, which always helps...

If we limit the list to those who played in sci-fi genre,
Kurt Russel,
Sigurney Weaver
Michael Biehn
Alec Guinnes - though his sci-fi experience is limited by one and the only role as Obi-Wan in A New Hope.