What If....Chronicles Killed the Avengers?

McMurphy

Apostate Against the Eloi
Coffee is an addiction, black-and-white horror fil
Does anyone else remember reading Marvel's often extreme scenerio driven comic series, What If...?

The premise was that the cosmic being, The Watcher, was relating superhero driven events that were happening in alternate realities to our own familar Marvel universe. With titles such as "What If the Punisher Killed Daredevil?" or "What If Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires During the Dark Phoenix Saga?", it is easy to tell that the series was designed for both the writers and the more sadistic fans to read their darker fantasies.

Does anyone have a personal favorite issue?

i've not read them, but it sounds like a lot of fun
i'd like to see what if ANYONE killed spiderman!

will look those up when i'm not so knackered. good to know i'm not the only one who wants pp dead though:D

I haven't read much of these unfortunately, although I liked;
"What if the Avengers lost Operation: Galactic Storm?"

They are on the whole very dark stories though, whatever happened to:
"What if the world lived in peace & harmony ever after - the end!" :D

Isn't Marvel supposed to rekindle the line of "What if... ?"

Winters_Sorrow said:
I haven't read much of these unfortunately, although I liked;
"What if the Avengers lost Operation: Galactic Storm?"

They are on the whole very dark stories though, whatever happened to:
"What if the world lived in peace & harmony ever after - the end!" :D

I believe Stan Lee used the pages of that particular issue to make a Batman Pinata. ;)

Leto, you are the reason that I made this thread :). I saw a thread of your's in the comics section entitled "What the....", which made me think of the Mad Magazine inspired Marvel series that made fun of their own universe. Since I didn't think there would be enough interest in a thread about that series, I opted for one about "What If..."

I remember the "Galactic Storm" story arch. Wasn't that going on at the time of Captain America's anniversary issue that reprinted the original Nazi-fighting action?

Well, currently Marvel is under a gigantic What if... Magneto ruled the world. ;)
Can't tell you about Captain America and Galactic storm. I didn't follow the events. Too many comics to buy each month.