I've been replaced!

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
When I worked in the nuclear industry, part of my work was to be the first to enter areas of potentially high radiation and contamination. The task of people like me was to survey and map out all areas of risk before any working party could enter. The working parties would be briefed and restrictions possibly placed on their task (eg. only allowed to be in the area for a certain amount of time). It was all about controlling exposure.

Training and experience were critical in getting the job done safely and we were usually the group on site accruing the highest doses (still within safe and legal limits). We used to call ourselves Canaries for obvious reasons. My total lifetime dose (after 32 years work) when I retired was just over 9 milliSieverts (mSv) and to put that into context, the annual legal dose limit in the UK for a classified worker is 20mSv. So, it can be seen that my dose control was fairly effective.

Interesting to see now that robots are starting to do the job. This is probably an area where AI could also come into its own.

Training and experience were critical in getting the job done safely and we were usually the group on site accruing the highest doses
I remember my time as a Superintending Officer trying to control this, I had a bunch of Contractor supplied classified workers to look after.

It was a constant juggling act trying to control the lifetime dosage, I had some guys who could be in and out of the cells in a few minutes because they'd done it so many times.
Others who took maybe twice as long because they didn't have that experience yet, so they were getting more exposure.

Obviously we didn't want to get those people up on the charts with their lifetime dose, but at the same time we didn't want to 'top out' the more experienced workers.

I'm glad those headache days are just a memory now.