April Reading Thread

Anyone like this author just read a sample on Kindle found itr a bit slow and wordy does it get better ?

Adrian Tchaikovsky
I really like Tchaikovsky's work. What were you reading a sample of? He has written a lot of stories (I think he's published 3 stories in the last 4 months) so there's a lot of variation in pacing, some of the stories might take a while to get to the point but others like Dogs of War immediately drop the reader into the middle of the action. I'd say something similar about the characterisation as well, I do agree with Elentarri that Children of Time might have great ideas but the characters felt a bit flat, but I like the characters in Guns of the Dawn or The City of Last Chances more.

THE EXEGESIS OF PHILIP K DICK. 2011.
Edited by Pamela Jackson and Jonathan Letham.Audio

I started Marsbound by Joe Haldeman, but soon stopped, so it's a quick decision DNF, unfortunately. Now, I'm a big fan of Haldeman, I think he's terrific generally, and some of his work is among my favourite SF. However, this is very 'young adult', told from the perspective of a teenage girl, and it just doesn't work for me at all.

I really like Tchaikovsky's work. What were you reading a sample of? He has written a lot of stories (I think he's published 3 stories in the last 4 months) so there's a lot of variation in pacing, some of the stories might take a while to get to the point but others like Dogs of War immediately drop the reader into the middle of the action. I'd say something similar about the characterisation as well, I do agree with Elentarri that Children of Time might have great ideas but the characters felt a bit flat, but I like the characters in Guns of the Dawn or The City of Last Chances more.

Guns of dawn I really can’t get into it

Shehan Karunatilaka "Chinaman"
We're in Colombo, Sri Lanka, the late 1990s, and an alcoholic ageing sportswriter and cricket obsessive is determined to find out what has happened to Pradeep Mathew, the greatest bowler he'd ever seen, but who strangely only played a handful of tests for Sri Lanka, and who seems to have been written out of history. At almost 400 pages it took me a while to get into, but once into it, I just didn't want it to end. I read it because I'd loved Karunatilaka's remarkable Booker Prize winning "Seven Moons of Maali Almeida", also largely set in Colombo, and this one is equally readable.
Given both cricket and Sri Lanka might be described as niche appeal, I'm pleasantly surprised to find people on Good Reads also enjoying it who know nothing about cricket.
I loved it.
On a personal note, I was fortunate enough to spend some four months in Sri Lanka in the late 1970s and there's something in these books that conveys perfectly for me the seemingly decaying seedy vibe of the residential urban spread (of those times) along the Galle Road (where I was based) heading south from Colombo.

Last edited:
So I have finished Threshold by Ursula Le Guin and well, it didn't cheer up at all. Suppose you could say there is an uptick at the end but not a very big one. Could be summarised as life frequently sucks. Well written, very good sense of worldbuilding, characters are believable (though tending to miserable) and has a nice sense of otherworldness and a bit of disconnectedness for the characters. Just really not for me. Also not for someone who likes their endings neatly tied off.

GUEST_86e2f11c-c82b-4d29-a1d6-e266ac96a07c

Read Martha Wells Witch King.

It is nominated for the Hugo best novel. In fact I picked it up seeing it on a list of nominees.
A very mixed experience. I seem to be on a roll of reading creative works that when I get deeper into them are either difficult to follow or have other deep flaws.
First the positive. Wells creates a vibrant world with multiple character types engaged in conflicts that if you only looked at the death toll and amorality of many of the people, is almost Grimdark. Since this is a fantasy it is not surprising that the characters are most often either only partially human or have powers that exceed the human. Some reviews have pointed out that the sexuality of the characters is handled very well, with assumptions as to the nature of many (most?) is at the very least not traditional. This is done without reference to active sex, but through the roles that they take. I certainly saw this as a positive. The tale is long and counting the years covered, two or more centuries. This is achieved by having three separate periods in the action, plus some remembrances. Also. Sentient whale transports? Demons who care?
The downside is that the shifts between periods makes it difficult to follow what is going on. Inside each period it is pretty clear. But the shifts occur 8-10 times,
And Wells gives the characters names, that with the shifts creates a lot of , "Wait. Now who was that?" Ashar Arshsha, Arava, Asara, Adeni, Ashem, Aclines - and that's just the As, There is a list of 42 character as a preface. That was by far the most thumbed (by me) section of the
Reddit hated it. LINK
Locus was mixed LINK

Overall? Pretty unique, but with problems.

Goblin Moon by Teresa Edgerton

This is a swashbuckling adventure set in a pseudo-19th century world where multiple fantasy races coexist. Considering the title, there are a surprising lack of goblins. The story is riveting, however, following several sets of characters in their adventures with scavenging the river for corpses, black magic, acts of heroism, and ridiculous clothes. Not everyone is quite as they seem. While the story provides an escape for the main characters, several of the sub-plots are not really wrapped up and clearly lead in to part two, Hobgoblin Night.

I listened to the audiobook, and feel the narration provided a weak point. The reading voice felt stilted and was distracting at first. It is almost too slow and words feel over pronounced rather than phrases flowing smoothly. I got used to it but if I was reading a physical book, I would have imagined the inflection of the some of the characters voices differently.

Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger
Fate may protect fools, little children and ships named Enterprise*, and apparently soldiers named Ernst Jünger as well. A war time memoir that simply is what it is.

The narrow margin by Derek Wood - basically the Battle of Britain (they used this as the canon basis for the film)
Some parts are interesting, but some are dull and nothing but lists of names and ranks and places.
I don't think I'll finish it

Just started The Vorrh by Alam Moore - very unusual start and I'll be back when done.

Storm of Steel is quite good. I liked it and the book gave a good feel for life in the trenches.

I finished Light of Impossible Stars, by Gareth L. Powell. This is the final volume in his Embers of War trilogy, and I enjoyed the first two. This one, not so much. It started out okay, introduced some new characters and scenarios, while building on the fall-out from the first two books with the characters from those books. So far, so good.

However... ultimately, this last volume in the series was a complete let down. When a book ends so badly, and it's the end of as trilogy, it taints the series as a whole. What was shaping up to be good for two and a half books, turned out to be a poor trilogy viewed as a piece, and I cannot recommend it. So what was wrong with it? Well, several things, so let's list them:

(i) The first two books set up a significant and interesting dilemma with certain characters on well established sides of the conflict, and it's hard to see a way out for our heroes. How will Powell wrap this up, we wonder. This will take a very clever idea or plot-twist from our protagonists to rectify. Easy apparently. The way out of this for Powell is not to think up a clever ruse for his existing characters, but to drop in new characters in book three that effectively have magical God-like power. It's a book-long Deus-ex-machina, in essence. If you set up a SF problem over two novels, you cannot resolve the problem with sudden god-like power from new characters and new SF rules in book three - it's 'cheating' and it's lazy.

(ii) A perfectly interesting character who's had a good supporting role to play in the book - a character we love to hate - decides a few chapters from the end that they are unhappy, not for the perfectly good reasons we've read about for the past 200 pages, but because they don't want to be called Loretta, and want to be called Stan... okay I stole the names from Monty Python, but those are essentially the facts. What affect does this sudden transexual theme have on the plot? None whatsoever. This unheralded theme from left-field takes dominates a chapter, and is then barely mentioned again. I can hear the editor now: "Gareth all the cool kids in SF have transgender themes and characters, can you not shoehorn something like that in somewhere?". It's incongruous virtue signaling to the SF Zeitgeist regardless of whether it fits the book or not - and it doesn't.

(iii) The end makes no sense. I can't say too much without 'spoiling' it, but trust me. While the final actions of some characters made some sense as an idea at one point, other subsequent outcomes mean they had no need to follow through on their desperate notion... but they do it anyway! Which had this reader want to throw the book at the wall with the exclamation "WHY... why, you idiots?"

(iv) Light of Impossible Stars is a cool name. I've read the book and I cannot tell you what it means, what it refers to, or how it relates to the novel.

Apart from that it was good. Ha ha. No really - Powell can write quite well, and his books are highly readable, but I do wish SF writers would only write trilogies when they have a great idea for the entire story arc, not just the start and middle. A whole idea is much better than half and idea, guys! Reynolds has been as culpable on this front, from personal experience. More and more, I find I want to read either standalones, or otherwise never-ending series, of which there are many. Defined trilogy series often seem to let me down - great premise, poor resolution. At least never-ending series have no conclusion so I'm unlikely to feel shortchanged at the end.

Last edited:
But undaunted, I’ve started another book. Back to something a lot older and less space-opera in tone:

Alan’s Wife, by H. Rider Haggard, which comes up next in my read through of the Quatermain books. It’s been about 15 months since my last Haggard (which sounds like an introductory line at an HA meeting), so good to get back to them. I’ll post thoughts on it in Extollager’s Haggard thread in due course.

Finished the audio book of Against a Dark Background and it was very good with a bitter sweet ending. Peter Kenny was customarily excellent.

Now on to the audiobook of Matter, which is read by Toby Longworth.

Just a quick complaint that the cover art on the newer imprints is extraordinarily uninspiring.