Stranger Things - Season 4 part II (episodes 8-9) [SPOILERS for 1-7]

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
Here are my thoughts on the first 7 episodes, for anyone else who's got that far:

There's still no hint of an explanation for how Hopper ended up in Russia. It might not be any coincidence that I found his strand the weakest in the show. It also made poor use of Murray and Joyce, who I'd enjoyed in previous seasons. I also can't really see how Hopper's storyline is going to feed into the rest of it. Based on this, I'd much rather he'd died at the end of S3.

The storyline linking "Vecna", No 1, Jane and Victor Creel was masterfully done, I thought, and saved the season so far.

I could have done without yet another story about bullying and yet another one about townspeople getting into a moral panic and hunting down innocent people. (And where did that lead? By the end of E7, nowhere interesting.)

Ridiculous in E6 how everyone turned into a championship freediver and became immune to cold.

I like how it turned out that the Upside Down is a "snapshot" at a particular point in time (when Jane opened the gate). I've often wondered, given that it contains cars, what happened when people drove those cars in the real world. Now I have an explanation, which always pleases me.

BUT how come the Upside Down was literally upside down at the gate in the caravan in E7, but nowhere else? (Such as when Hopper and Joyce go through in S1?)

The chief military guy's rationale for his actions, that Jane is somehow responsible for the latest events in Hawkins even though she's in California, just feels really weak.

Overall: I think it was worth watching but there was some very dubious plotting/rationale here which reduced buy-in. S1 and S2 were worth watching again, but I don't think this will be.

Last edited:

therapist

Well, I just finished all seven episodes. Overall I thought it was about on par with previous couple of seasons, and worth a watch if you liked those. I really enjoyed Eddie as a new character.

Hopper weren't limping
Yea I found that very distracting. He just had his foot smashed and broken. But had zero problem walking on it or even jumping off that hut and landing on his foot.

Also, something that irked me:

The ice skating bullying scene felt ridiculous. Noone had a problem with traumitizing this poor girl, they all found it hilarious, even the DJ helped orchastrate her humiliation. They all felt like badly written caricature villains. Was that believable for anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
The ice skating bullying scene felt ridiculous. Noone had a problem with traumitizing this poor girl, they all found it hilarious, even the DJ helped orchastrate her humiliation. They all felt like badly written caricature villains. Was that believable for anyone?
No, that whole thing was really crudely done, and I'm also not sure what the point of it was except to provide a thematic link with the bullying 11 undergoes in the lab. But that's a lot of effort for little reward.

Last edited:

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I've seen all 7 episodes now, and agree with the comments above. I was expecting that there would be more explanation of those things too, which as it doesn't appear to be coming, makes for
some very dubious plotting/rationale
The ending of season 3 was such a good ending with everything tied up neatly. I'm still feeling that all these 7 episodes have done is unravel that ending in a very clumsy way, without taking us very far anywhere else. It has all just been a set up for these final 2 episodes (which people who have watched them have said are fantastic - but admittedly, they were Netflix executives, so they would say that, wouldn't they?)

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
The ending of season 3 was such a good ending with everything tied up neatly.
Except the whole Russian thing, in terms of saying how the Soviets had got interested in gate tech in the first place (did they have a spy at Hawkins lab?) and how they managed to build the base under the mall without anyone knowing. I was prepared to give the makers a pass on the basis that the season was a riff on 80s cold war paranoia, but S4 isn't that, so it stands out more (to me, anyway).

It has all just been a set up for these final 2 episodes (which people who have watched them have said are fantastic - but admittedly, they were Netflix executives, so they would say that, wouldn't they?)
I was impressed enough by E7 to hope they might be right. ST has tended to stick the endings in the past, unlike some series that build up threads they can't resolve.

Elckerlyc

"Philosophy will clip an angel's wings."
Supporter
BUT how come the Upside Down was literally upside down at the gate in the caravan in E7, but nowhere else? (Such as when Hopper and Joyce go through in S1?)
The difference here was that the portal was in a horizontal plane. Before it was always a wall. The portal at the bottom of the lake was also a upside down event.
What was remarkable though was that in the caravan the portal was 2 meters up in the ceiling. Likewise in the Upside Down. Which seemed weird. Given that scenario, a portal could be anywhere.
The chief military guy's rationale for his actions, that Jane is somehow responsible for the latest events in Hawkins even though she's in California, just feels really weak.
The whole military sub-plot felt extraneous to me. Unnecessary and, seeing how the reasoned and acted, unbelievable. So far it added nothing to the plot.

Last edited: