Jupe and Juno -- dogs? Story for kids, 1960s

Extollager

The question is about a non-genre story. Two individuals in the story are Jupe and Juno, who might have been dogs. That's about all I remember, other than that the story was probably fiction and probably in an American textbook rather than a stand-alone book. Does anyone remember this? It's not important except that it popped into my awareness suddenly and I'm curious. If it turns out to be from an identifiable textbook, I might be able to discover if other things in that book come to mind.

Thanks.

Back in the 60's, American textbooks would not have included SF&F unless written by Jules Verne or H G Wells, except maybe for a handful of progressive schools. SF&F was not considered as fit to be taught in schools.

Back in the 60's, American textbooks would not have included SF&F unless written by Jules Verne or H G Wells, except maybe for a handful of progressive schools. SF&F was not considered as fit to be taught in schools.
Same in the state (i.e. public) schools in the UK, at least in the 1960s and 70s. Science Fiction would have been utterly infra dig. Friends who went to private schools say the reading lists there were more interesting! For example they read Animal Farm, 1984, Fahrenheit 451.

I remember reading SF in 1960s American educational material, notably a short story by Robert Silverberg, so I don't think the proscription was as absolute as all that.

It wasn't common, certainly. But I'm sure the Jupe and Juno story was not science fiction or fantasy (genre). Nevertheless, I thought it possible that someone here would remember it. Reading was important to some of us from very early years, even before we would have known what "science fiction" was or have had more than a glancing acquaintance with it through TV or comics.

I didn't go to a private school but Animal Farm and 1984 were certainly assigned reading for classes I attended as a teenager in the 60s. (I have a vague sense that we.may have read The Martian Chronicles, but I am less sure of that. Sitting in class and reading/discussing the other two is very clear in my mind.)

This was in California, which may have been more adventurous in its assignments than other parts of the country?

Teresa, I'm sure we read Animal Farm (9th grade?), and around 8th grade we were given "Read" magazine, which had sf and fantasy every so often. This would be late 1960s.

I wrote about "Read" here --

“READing..… SF and the Macabre in a Free 1960s Middle School Magazine.” Fadeaway #61 (July-August 2019): 3-13.

Article may be read here:

But before sf in school, I think the earliest "imaginative" material was mythology. I took to that right away. But I took to reading right away. So I wonder if a couple of memories can lead me to more solid, er, apprehensions.