MC tempted to create a doppelganger.

Omits

MC is on an alien generation ship in the vicinity of Earth (near future) and has access to Alien bio production facilities. He needs a powerful friend Earth-side to look after his interests after an incident between humans and Aliens. It comes to his notice that a close friends lover is raped and murdered and decides to recover the body (before her demise is discovered) and create a doppelganger (clone may not be the right term here but DNA is required) but enhanced into a powerful and capable bio-droid. Once what's left of the dead womans mind has been uploaded she (doppelganger) returns to Earth to relearn and continue as if nothing had happened. My question is around the implications of doing this considering 'cloning' laws and how humans may see this in that sort of context. Comments welcome.

I can see several interesting legal considerations. I'm not sure that cloning laws would apply, because the ship would be outside of any country's legal jurisdiction. I don't think abduction would be a concern, if the woman was judged dead. That latter point raises interesting questions about the doppelganger's legal status. How old is the doppelganger and does she have the rights of an adult or of a minor? Does the doppelganger have any claim to the finances of the deceased or have they been passed on? Could the doppelganger bring charges against the rapist and murderer as an eyewitness, or would there be chain of custody questions about the doppelganger's memories? Does the doppelganger have a nationality? Could the doppelganger claim to be the daughter of the deceased?

At present, relatively few countries have actually made human cloning illegal, and if the necessary work is undertaken on an alien ship using alien technology, especially if actually by an alien who doesn't come down to Earth, then the question of legal jurisdiction is rather moot.

Most countries, though, do have laws about dead bodies, and what must happen when one is found, so anyone deemed to have interfered with a corpse -- and presumably a crime scene -- would be subject to penalties, though again an alien remaining on board the alien ship is likely to evade prosecution.

Most legislation is aimed at whoever has undertaken the illegal conduct, but there's a possibility that in some anti-cloning legislation there are provisions for the destruction of whatever is produced. In that case, the person created here might be in danger, depending on the wording eg "and any resulting blastocyst/embryo shall be destroyed" would only apply to those creations, excluding a person, while "and any creation resulting shall be destroyed" would include a person. Having said that, if the person who is made is only partly human and mostly inorganic, there's a chance that any anti-cloning legislation might well not apply anyway. A field day for lawyers, in fact.

In any event, regardless of legal implications the new person will be feared and therefore likely to come under attack, both metaphorically (ie in the press/social media and via hastily-drafted legislation wherever she lives) and literally by way of physical violence, unless she has a very powerful protector -- her own strength against would-be assailants would only increase the fear and hate generated against her, not diminish it in any way, so would be counterproductive.

Anyway, this sounds like a question for Writing Discussion, so I'll move it over there.

From the feedback I can improve on the story, thanks.

I did not mention the MC is a human male voluntary abductee therefore the focus of any legal attack if indeed the deception is discovered (thinking of building that through the story as a secondary plot). The dead woman (25yrs-Irish) was recovered (from the bottom of the sea) before being missed, and merged with a biodroid to create the original (some differences to make the story interesting). The merge is DNA and partial mind upload so cloning? I think humans will rush to condemn. In fact any arrival will cause a rush for the legal understanding so that dialogue etc. can proceed.

True she will become the focus of detractors of her role. She has to be careful especially when she meets back with her cousin who is a close friend of MC. In fact the MC is also a friend so makes an interesting part of the story when she ‘awakes’ in her new body and mind. Will she be grateful for being 'resurrected'? Will she like her new mind and body?

Social media and the paps are an interesting issue I will have to build on as all protagonists will have to answer to them in some way.

PS of course (human) cloning will progress illegally or otherwise. Views on how would be interesting.

I would hope the doppleganger provides some major plot points, or it is a pointless veneer that makes the story lesser.

Hi, it sounds like his close friend's lover lives on Earrh? So how would he find out she'd been raped and murdered before her body was discovered? And if he did (and then presumably disposed of her body), no one would even know that she was a duplicate, so no-one would object or do anything.

All that would happen is that they would wonder why she wasn't acting normally. Also it doesn't sound like the the act of a 'close friend' to do all these things to his friend's lover. And of course it makes him into criminal if it ever was discovered what he had done.

Also creating anything smarter than yourself is always a risky venture. That, of course, does open another plot avenue. :unsure:

Why not just clone to MC? The dead woman idea sounds like she'd just be an object and never a real character, which could put any potential readers off.

I suggest that the implications and results of this resurrection can be whatever is needed to advance the plot line. As a writer, one has control of the details of the resurrection process and how it is revealed. The necessary consequences are, therefore, also fully under the control of the writer. It is the responsibility of the writer to ensure that the details lead to the consequences in a logical manner. The original description seems to be a bit contradictory on whether the resurrection is revealed to the world. It says the woman "... returns to Earth to relearn and continue as if nothing had happened," yet raises the question of "'cloning' laws and how humans may see this in that sort of context." One implies secretiveness and one implies general knowledge of the return.

I can see multiple consequences. Skepticism that a woman claims to have been killed a brought back to life on an alien spaceship. Skepticism that a robot claims to be actually a missing woman. A sudden halt in embalming, burial, and cremation as people request their loved ones be resurrected. Maybe some religious implications concerning the soul and life after death. Ownership of the resurrected. Military interest in resurrected soldiers. Concern from the murderer about the continued existence of his victim, especially if the return to Earth is done in secret. Revenge by the resurrected woman on her attacker.

I don't have a clear picture of the desired story arc and there seem to be a wide range of circumstances that could lead in differing directions. As a writer, ask yourself, "What do I need to happen?" and then build the scenario to lead to that result.

Hi, it sounds like his close friend's lover lives on Earrh? So how would he find out she'd been raped and murdered before her body was discovered? And if he did (and then presumably disposed of her body), no one would even know that she was a duplicate, so no-one would object or do anything.

All that would happen is that they would wonder why she wasn't acting normally. Also it doesn't sound like the the act of a 'close friend' to do all these things to his friend's lover. And of course it makes him into criminal if it ever was discovered what he had done.
Hm, your right, originally I had the doppelganger not being closely involved with his friend. I think I will go back to making her taking the place of the deceased but alone in the world following the death of the deceaseds parents. So she carries the role forward and when she becomes involved with the MC media focus homes in on her.

Hm, your right, originally I had the doppelganger not being closely involved with his friend. I think I will go back to making her taking the place of the deceased but alone in the world following the death of the deceaseds parents. So she carries the role forward and when she becomes involved with the MC media focus homes in on her.

It may be worth considering giving her an occupation that benefits your MC. Perhaps she works in the government offices, or with the police or armed forces. Or whatever occupation will help with her infiltration into his opponents/rivals affairs.

I would also consider not having her have to learn how the 'original' behaved. Otherwise the question will arise why she knows some things and not others. It will also be difficult to explain how she will learn these behaviours, and not arouse suspicion.

One other thing that's worth considering is that if the doppelganger/clone has the same memories of the original girl, perhaps she will have her own agenda in dealing with those who raped and murdered her.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I suggest that the implications and results of this resurrection can be whatever is needed to advance the plot line. As a writer, one has control of the details of the resurrection process and how it is revealed. The necessary consequences are, therefore, also fully under the control of the writer. It is the responsibility of the writer to ensure that the details lead to the consequences in a logical manner. The original description seems to be a bit contradictory on whether the resurrection is revealed to the world. It says the woman "... returns to Earth to relearn and continue as if nothing had happened," yet raises the question of "'cloning' laws and how humans may see this in that sort of context." One implies secretiveness and one implies general knowledge of the return.

I can see multiple consequences. Skepticism that a woman claims to have been killed a brought back to life on an alien spaceship. Skepticism that a robot claims to be actually a missing woman. A sudden halt in embalming, burial, and cremation as people request their loved ones be resurrected. Maybe some religious implications concerning the soul and life after death. Ownership of the resurrected. Military interest in resurrected soldiers. Concern from the murderer about the continued existence of his victim, especially if the return to Earth is done in secret. Revenge by the resurrected woman on her attacker.

I don't have a clear picture of the desired story arc and there seem to be a wide range of circumstances that could lead in differing directions. As a writer, ask yourself, "What do I need to happen?" and then build the scenario to lead to that result.
Quite right about the story arc. I was hoping a sort of parallel plot going on there. To be developed for its final stages.

It may be worth considering giving her an occupation that benefits your MC. Perhaps she works in the government offices, or with the police or armed forces. Or whatever occupation will help with her infiltration into his opponents/rivals affairs.

I would also consider not having her have to learn how the 'original' behaved. Otherwise the question will arise why she knows some things and not others. It will also be difficult to explain how she will learn these behaviours, and not arouse suspicion.

One other thing that's worth considering is that if the doppelganger/clone has the same memories of the original girl, perhaps she will have her own agenda in dealing with those who raped and murdered her.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Spot on. Her occupation is as a Captain of a trillionaire's top end yacht. He is corrupt and powerful and she refuses to 'entertain' his guests. Her death is not know due to MC coming in JIT. Having her trying to deal with her 'former's' botched murder is in there. MC as an alien produced bio she is tied to her 'creator' so he sends her back to Earth to pick up where the murder left off. She then collects her parents inheritance and ties in with her formers social media dealing with people's suspicions on the way. Its her advanced capabilities that she has to be wary of. Her role is as a secondary protagonist.