Wizard of Oz Series?

Ive resanly the first book , I thought it quite. As to the rest of the series I can't say how good or bad its is

There a book you might want check it out it A Barnstorm in OZ by Jose Phillip Farmer Dorthy Grandson flying plane lands in OZ .:cool:

I read most of them when I was young. Definitely worth a read. A lot weirder and than just what made it in the movie. Overall, sort of a Swiftian feel, a lot of odd, allegorical peoples and places.

Unlike the movie, Oz is not a dream. Dorothy visits again, and there are books all in Oz with other protagonists. Also, Baum plays with gender in a way that maybe modern readers don’t expect to see in early 20th century “children’s” books.

I think I have read most of them at one time or another--I only owned three, but ended up borrowing others when I discovered that friends had larger collections. I can' t remember which were by Baum and which were by other hands. Obviously the earliest books were his, and of course it would be easy enough to find information about the others and who wrote them if I cared to take the minimal trouble.

The later books were wildly imaginative, and dealt with matters of gender and individuality and other issues in sometimes challenging ways (also sometimes in ways that may not be so agreeable to modern sensibilities--my own for instance) but I think it will always be the first two that I remember most fondly.

I've read just about all of them, and all I can say is that the film doesn't portray in the slightest the extent of the weirdness of Baum's imagination.

Modern filmmakers with the use of CGI and advances in makeup and prosthetics could do a vastly better job of doing justice to the source material. Of course they would probably just find different ways to stray from the original, in order to give audiences what they think they want. But it could be visually stunning, if nothing else. (I' d adore some CGI kalidahs!)

Modern filmmakers with the use of CGI and advances in makeup and prosthetics could do a vastly better job of doing justice to the source material. Of course they would probably just find different ways to stray from the original, in order to give audiences what they think they want. But it could be visually stunning, if nothing else. (I' d adore some CGI kalidahs!)

I love the 1939 film ive seen it multiple times .

The 1985 film Return to Oz has a very dark take on OZ but, it's a terrific and very much an underrated film.

Back